Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

Regarding trees, the newer growth trees in many cases are not as dense as the older growth trees. That's important in regards to trees used in the construction of wood framed homes and such, though I don't know how that impacts trees used in making paper bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 PM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
I like the reusable bag way... We use good bags now, that carry more and work better. Those nasty plastic bags were a nuisance... The only thing I don't like is that the checker just hands you your pile of stuff. They could help put it in the cart, like they did when there were bags...

Sometimes I remember to bring a bag, and sometimes I don't but I can put the stuff in the cart and load it into my bags when I get to the car.

I like the Home Depot reusable bags the best. They are squishy and they hold a lot.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I like the reusable bag way... We use good bags now, that carry more and work better. Those nasty plastic bags were a nuisance... The only thing I don't like is that the checker just hands you your pile of stuff. They could help put it in the cart, like they did when there were bags...

Sometimes I remember to bring a bag, and sometimes I don't but I can put the stuff in the cart and load it into my bags when I get to the car.

I like the Home Depot reusable bags the best. They are squishy and they hold a lot.
Do you use the reusable bags to line your kitchen or bathroom trashcans?

Old 12-14-2016, 11:51 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Do you use the reusable bags to line your kitchen or bathroom trashcans?
We don't use plastic bags for trash. Our kitchen trash container has two compartments each with a removable plastic bin, one for recyclables the other for food waste, etc. We don't line either. Discarded produce gets fed to the chickens, meat scrap gets fed to the dogs, whatever is left we usually compost, so there really isn't a lot of messy stuff going into our trash containers, we take both plastic containers out to the trash containers and in the rare case that they have crud stuck to them, we just rinse them out. We have never lined any trash cans in other rooms, can't think of a good reason for doing so

Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I wish the families in the rentals I manage were as conscientious with trash... something that was not even an issue when I started sure has become one.

It started when Waste Management bought Oakland Scavenger and required cans curbside... so late in the day, people up to no good can tell who is home and who isn't simply by checking if the trash can is still on the curb.

Waste Management also has missed a lot of pickups at one address... it is the only address on a cross block and each time a relief driver works the trash isn't picked up.

Next comes the extra charges for mixed waste and this got so bad I have go around the night before sorting trash... it is just not residents but strangers dumping trash at night in any can...

As to liners... some cans are really nasty and some are super clean... all depends on the individual households.

As mentioned... I removed all the green totes for yard waste because I simply was tired of them being used for trash...

Old 12-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We don't line either.
Eww.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Eww.
lol not an issue if you aren't putting gooey slime in there,what do you think people did before they started using plastic bags?

Old 12-14-2016, 06:47 PM

26,722 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Suggestions? I mean it's gross if I don't, since I throw coffee grounds, packaging for meat, and vegetable peelings etc. (and going vegan and using my coffee grounds for my organic garden I don't have isn't an option. ) and it would make paper bags soggy.
We've used paper bags to line the kitchen trash can for years; never had any of those problems. Throw your coffee grinds in w/ the dirt around any outside plants you have; you don't need to have an organic garden. Vegetable peels - compost them or get a better garbage disposal. Line the bottom of the paper bag with newspaper. Wrap the meat packaging in the thin little bag they give you when you buy the meat.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol not an issue if you aren't putting gooey slime in there,what do you think people did before they started using plastic bags?
For as long as I can remember by elderly Grandmother would line her garbage can with newspaper and the papers use to be more large in size...

The entire metal 32 gallon container was lined in newsprint and others of her era did the same...

She was also the type that would clean behind her refrigerator every Saturday and that included the drip pan... it was a badge of honor.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
For as long as I can remember by elderly Grandmother would line her garbage can with newspaper and the papers use to be more large in size...

The entire metal 32 gallon container was lined in newsprint and others of her era did the same...

She was also the type that would clean behind her refrigerator every Saturday and that included the drip pan... it was a badge of honor.
omg she could have been best friends with my mother, every 2 weeks she took all the switchplates off the walls and washed them with a toothbrush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California