Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 06:13 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamedcitizen7 View Post
Majority of the CA population is receiving some sort of benefit . These people voted this ordinance into law and it has no effect on them whatsoever.
And what might that benefit be? And the ordinance has "no effect on them whatsoever"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph78 View Post
I saw an interesting bit on a local news show last week about the cost of the plastic bag ban at supermarket checkouts. I did not see the start of the piece on the bag ban so, I don't know where the numbers came from.

Approximately 10,000,000 households in California

Typically shop twice a week

Typical number of bags purchased at 10 cents per bag per trip = 5

Each household purchases 10 bags per week for a cost of $1.00 per week for a yearly cost of $52

$52 x 10,000,000= $520,000,000

The conclusion was that CA households are spending in excess of 1/2 Billion dollars per year to comply with the plastic bag ban. HUMMMMM

When the reusable bag factor was brought up, the costs of truly reusable bags, being higher than the paper bag still resulted in about the same 1/2 Billion dollars per year figure.

Over a 10 year period, the total cost of complying with the plastic bag ban would be in excess of 5 billion $.

If the cost data is correct, the people of California are being TAXED an additional $5 billion over a ten year period (It is a government mandate, so the result is the same as a TAX). I wonder if the 5 billion $ could be better utilized for the well being of the 38,000,000 people in California.
If only bag technology would progress to the point where they could be used several times, perhaps even year after year. Alas, the problem remains unsolved and families are forced to purchase new bags for each shopping trip. It is very sad.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If only bag technology would progress to the point where they could be used several times, perhaps even year after year. Alas, the problem remains unsolved and families are forced to purchase new bags for each shopping trip.
They ARE used several times. You just wash them. No one is "forced to purchase new bags for each shopping trip."

Old 10-20-2017, 08:40 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They ARE used several times. You just wash them. No one is "forced to purchase new bags for each shopping trip."
My bad, I was using sarcasm. But some people have viewpoints that essentially break the idea of parody, don't they?

Old 10-26-2017, 05:38 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
I guess they are the ones who receive benefits that would exempt them from a bag fee. Though I really question the voting system in California. How on earth would 7 million people be able to able to control 40 million people. It appears the 14% really controls the 86% in California. Ironically In any grocery store in the state regardless of where it is located 86% of the shoppers "vote" for plastic bags where they are asked by the clerk. So really 14% of the population were able to rip it out of their hands during this election.

By the way read this
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...health-crisis/
And this on City data Reload this Page Gov. Brown declares state of emergency amid hepatitis A outbreak (Los Angeles: crime, neighborhood)
If governor Brown is wiser he should suspend the ban and fee policy immediately.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:37 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
I'm not going to mess around with washing a plastic grocery bag. I'll use it a couple times and then it goes in the recycling bin. What ticks me off is almost no county east of the coast range voted for this stupid law yet its foisted on us by Bay Area and LA voters (like so many things). As I think I said before in this thread, if they wanted to ban plastic bags for the environment, fine. Go back to the free paper bags we used in every retail establishment until the mid 1980s when plastic took over. Renewable resource and biodegradable.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 640 times
Paper bags are more environmental friendly.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:37 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
I have been using reusable (vinyl or cloth) bags when shopping, but have been buying boxes of plastic, trash-can liner bags in two sizes at Dollar stores to remove trash each day, taking out cat-litter droppings, food remains, etc., in the smaller ones. I wonder how much I have been spending, since I previously would use the small, plastic bags from market purchases for this. I have always made good use of them besides, having stored seasonal or miscellaneous items in. Also, other stores DO still hand out plastic, such as some discount-variety and department stores. I feel like I get a little excited when I am handed a plastic bag. ☺️

Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
And what might that benefit be? And the ordinance has "no effect on them whatsoever"?
I have not checked, but do wonder how it is benefitting. How much has it helped to prevent bags from being abandoned outdoors and since we are still removing trash in plastic, what then?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 620 times
reusable bags is a good way too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California