Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 08:02 PM

26,573 posts, read 26,433,288 times

Advertisements

"...this may be the most heart-wrenching death-by-plastic story yet. And it comes at an pivotal moment. Humans are — finally — waking up to the fact that their addiction to throwaway plastic is killing wildlife in a much more graphic and gruesome manner than..."

Save the whales! From your plastic trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 04:07 AM

19,097 posts, read 16,465,254 times
That IS sad. Even sadder is it's been happening for over 25 years. I recall in an environmental class I took back in the 90's, we talked about this very thing. The garbage that ends up in the ocean is ultimately destroying the planet. Trouble is, people don't care. They can't look beyond their own nose as to what's happening in the world and how we (humans) are the ones destroying it. Yet they gripe about the filthy beaches and toxic ocean water.

Even worse, politicians decide on some piddly little plastic bag ban when the problem is much bigger. As someone here once mentioned, we now must use non plastic bags to fill up grocery products like sandwich bags, plastic wrap, plastic plates, cups, utensils, water and soda bottles, Etc.

I guess it's tough to decide whether to do what's right or continue to accept campaign contributions from those who have a vested interest in manufacturing products made of plastic. What a conundrum for them. <sigh>

Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That IS sad. Even sadder is it's been happening for over 25 years. I recall in an environmental class I took back in the 90's, we talked about this very thing. The garbage that ends up in the ocean is ultimately destroying the planet. Trouble is, people don't care. They can't look beyond their own nose as to what's happening in the world and how we (humans) are the ones destroying it. Yet they gripe about the filthy beaches and toxic ocean water.

Even worse, politicians decide on some piddly little plastic bag ban when the problem is much bigger. As someone here once mentioned, we now must use non plastic bags to fill up grocery products like sandwich bags, plastic wrap, plastic plates, cups, utensils, water and soda bottles, Etc.

I guess it's tough to decide whether to do what's right or continue to accept campaign contributions from those who have a vested interest in manufacturing products made of plastic. What a conundrum for them. <sigh>
Nope, they have already decided.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:57 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,777,694 times
Our plastic is mostly reused, or buried in a landfill. The ocean plastic is from 3rd world countries where they throw garbage in the river/ocean. California can ban plastic completely and it will not change the ocean plastic problem.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 PM

46,743 posts, read 25,661,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Our plastic is mostly reused, or buried in a landfill. The ocean plastic is from 3rd world countries where they throw garbage in the river/ocean. California can ban plastic completely and it will not change the ocean plastic problem.
I sail off the California coast. Plenty of plastic.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ocean flow is West to East, so a lot from other areas hits CA, including the nuclear junk from the Japanese power plant.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I'm not challenging your logic but it was always my understanding that "third world" countries weren't developed countries. If that's so, how do they generate so much plastic garbage?

You're right, though about the plastic here in the U.S. Until a few years ago, I wasn't even aware that used plastic is sometimes used to make clothing.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:24 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,201,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yep all the way out to the a South Pacific never inhabited island as well.

The humans species is not good for planet earth.

Not only do we pollute the environment here on earth we pollute Outer Space. Check out how much space junk and debris is orbiting the planet.

Millions Of Pieces Of Plastic Are Piling Up On An Otherwise Pristine Pacific Island

Old 06-05-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No argument from me on that one.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yep all the way out to the a South Pacific never inhabited island as well.

Not only do we pollute the environment here on earth we pollute Outer Space. Check out how much space junk and debris is orbiting the planet.

Millions Of Pieces Of Plastic Are Piling Up On An Otherwise Pristine Pacific Island
Particularly all the "plastic" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California