Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 11:23 AM

228 posts, read 161,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I like using Borax or Washing Soda in my laundry. It cuts down on the amount of detergent I use because I live in an area where my water is hard. It softens the water.

Why do you feel vinegar and baking soda mixed is a no no? It's a common cleaning mixture and has been used for decades. The reaction of the soda to the vinegar makes a bubbling cleaner. But I agree it should never be mixed and stored that way. It will explode.
I'd never mix vinegar and soda for cleaning/laundry. They react.
I need the specific effect from one, prior to acid-base reaction.
NaHCO3 + HC2H3O2 → NaC2H3O2 + H2O (water) + CO2 (gas)
Carbonic acid (product) is unstable, unlike acid that is vinegar/acetic acid.
From my standpoint it's wasting of good acid and weak base, to produce weak unstable acid. (I'd mix for baking, though, as these bubbles lift the dough).
Mixing acid and base just neutralizes both, and I need either acidic or base cleaning properties to be strong.
Also, when I use baking soda for cleaning, I mostly need scrubbing action of its grains, intact.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 04-11-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 08:29 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
https://timesofsandiego.com/opinion/...irus-pandemic/

Repeal 10c fee might save the ban according to this article, many stores around the state already waive the fee. In the Bay Area reusable bags are banned. Ironically this is the first place to pioneer this trend, now happens to be the one to reverse it. Big grocers and other large Union learned their lessons about their greedy price gauging lobbying too.

The reason reusable bags are banned is that there are many people who do not have the concept of properly cleaning it. It cannot be educated properly, even if we do educate it on tv its not possible to enforce it. Essentially how do we guarantee people would sanitise bags between each shopping trip. And not bring it from one store to another and cause cross-contamination. Though some measures can be knee jerk I agree i.e blocking beach access completely just because a few people might sit down on the containment sand and get sick?

Old 04-14-2020, 08:29 AM

228 posts, read 161,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
https://timesofsandiego.com/opinion/...irus-pandemic/

Repeal 10c fee might save the ban according to this article, many stores around the state already waive the fee. In the Bay Area reusable bags are banned. Ironically this is the first place to pioneer this trend, now happens to be the one to reverse it. Big grocers and other large Union learned their lessons about their greedy price gauging lobbying too.

The reason reusable bags are banned is that there are many people who do not have the concept of properly cleaning it. It cannot be educated properly, even if we do educate it on tv its not possible to enforce it. Essentially how do we guarantee people would sanitise bags between each shopping trip. And not bring it from one store to another and cause cross-contamination. Though some measures can be knee jerk I agree i.e blocking beach access completely just because a few people might sit down on the containment sand and get sick?

All people will not be conscious enough to sanitize their reusable bags, but excusing plastic bag pollution of the environment based on coronavirus....just another good reason why humankind will be eventually exterminated, by more serious epidemic, this one is just the first warning. Next what, flu or cold season will be the reason for excusing plastic bags? Humans lived without plastic bags for most of their history and bags they carried food in never been any kind of serious vector of disease transmission. Perhaps modern people who grew up in a fake bubble should also learn to use bags made of netting that were used for decades, these barely have any material.
Perhaps they should learn not to act as clueless entitled little kids and learn not to put grocery bags on the table, wash hands, leave the grocery bag in the corner, clean it, etc.

There're no excuses to pollute and destroy environment or suffocate animals with disposed plastic. Survival of part of (or even the whole) humankind isn't a valid excuse for this. Backlash from the environment - an well, from the high forces that created and own it - will be only more vicious down the road.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 04-14-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-14-2020, 09:25 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
All people will not be conscious enough to sanitize their reusable bags, but excusing plastic bag pollution of the environment based on coronavirus....just another good reason why humankind will be eventually exterminated, by more serious epidemic, this one is just the first warning.

There're no excuses to pollute and destroy environment or suffocate animals with disposed plastic. Survival of part of (or even the whole) humankind isn't a valid excuse for this. Backlash from the environment - an well, from the high forces that created and own it - will be only more vicious down the road.
Amen to that. People just don't seem to get it.

Plastic production is expected to rise. As countries turn away from petroleum products to power their electrical grids, fossil-fuel companies are betting on the plastics industry, which uses natural gas and petroleum as key components. The International Energy Agency predicts that a growth in oil demand related to plastic production will overtake that for road-passenger transport by 2050. Yet less than 14% of plastic worldwide is recycled. The rest ends up in dumps, and, far too often, the ocean.

https://time.com/5818225/microplastics-antartica/

Old 04-14-2020, 10:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
As I and others will tell you (didn't you bother to read other comments?), they aren't single use. I reuse them as should everyone; otherwise, I'll just have to buy them. Luckily, I can still get them where I live.
The problem isn’t your dual use. The problem is the bags are simply recycled or disposed of inefficiently or incorrectly. Plenty of times I watched the trash truck pick up the trash container lift dump and either bags or shreds fly out down the street. Especially in windy day condition.
For every person who consciously recycles or disposes of trash there is at least one who doesn’t.

Case in point. On my way home yesterday......I counted 12 disposable gloves thrown on the ground. Assuming they were stripped off one hand grabbed in the other stripped and folded on themselves that’s 24 gloves on the ground. This was between maybe three stop lights. Then I stopped to shop for my two weeks supply and found three sets of discarded gloves in the parking lot. And a mask on the ground. I can only imagine this happening everywhere with the epidemic happening we will drown in this stuff.

What people don't understand is that the gloves and PPE once used is now biohazardous. It should be disposed of by incineration. Hospitals have specific containers and disposal procedures of biohazardous material. At least throw it in the trash receptacle. I throw my gloves in my car floorboard in a cardboard box. When I get home I dump it in the trash

Old 04-15-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The problem isn’t your dual use. The problem is the bags are simply recycled or disposed of inefficiently or incorrectly. Plenty of times I watched the trash truck pick up the trash container lift dump and either bags or shreds fly out down the street. Especially in windy day condition.
For every person who consciously recycles or disposes of trash there is at least one who doesn’t.

Case in point. On my way home yesterday......I counted 12 disposable gloves thrown on the ground. Assuming they were stripped off one hand grabbed in the other stripped and folded on themselves that’s 24 gloves on the ground. This was between maybe three stop lights. Then I stopped to shop for my two weeks supply and found three sets of discarded gloves in the parking lot. And a mask on the ground. I can only imagine this happening everywhere with the epidemic happening we will drown in this stuff.

What people don't understand is that the gloves and PPE once used is now biohazardous. It should be disposed of by incineration. Hospitals have specific containers and disposal procedures of biohazardous material. At least throw it in the trash receptacle. I throw my gloves in my car floorboard in a cardboard box. When I get home I dump it in the trash
True I notice much more flying plastic out of garbage trucks since 2016 than before. Or since 2013 in the Bay Area as well as piles of trash along the side of the road. Google street view taken before and after those years back my views. When the Bay Area and CA seemly passed landmark ordinances that they emotionally claim that it would reduce litter. They failed to realize the lowly grocery bag actually is the best tool to contain all the other plastic scrap that all our everyday products come with that would need to be dumped and would blow out of garbage trucks if not weighed down in a tied t shirt bag with other garbage inside.
Its also a great for containing such bio hazard waste such as gloves and masks.
Bin liners are just a horrible alternative that's the same but more plastic but are truly single use and falls apart and spills its contents when garbage is compacted into the collection truck including many smaller plastic wrappings that are less useful for repurposing.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:34 PM

Hurray Galvin Newsom finally issued an Executive Order lifting the ban and the fee statewide yesterday. I be curious does it apply to municipal ordinances based before 2014 as well?

Old 04-27-2020, 03:52 PM

What’s particularly reprehensible is how the plastic industry is taking advantage of the national crisis to renew its campaign against reusable grocery bags, warning that they’re dangerous coronavirus vectors and urging cities and states to embrace single-use plastic. This nakedly self-serving ploy would be laughable if it weren’t so misleading.

The coronavirus brought back plastic bag madness. Let’s make sure it’s temporary:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...o-be-temporary

Old 04-27-2020, 04:12 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What’s particularly reprehensible is how the plastic industry is taking advantage of the national crisis to renew its campaign against reusable grocery bags, warning that they’re dangerous coronavirus vectors and urging cities and states to embrace single-use plastic. This nakedly self-serving ploy would be laughable if it weren’t so misleading.

The coronavirus brought back plastic bag madness. Let’s make sure it’s temporary:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...o-be-temporary
We’ll wait for Citizen’s Advocate to weigh in n this, I guess ...

Old 04-27-2020, 04:26 PM

^^LOL

I was so irritated the last time I was in the market after asking if I could have paper bags in lieu of plastic ones. They don't seem to want you to bag your groceries in your own reusable bags; they just want you through the line and out. The clerk said, "We'll see paper bags back after the coronavirus is gone." Why would plastic bags be any safer than paper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California