Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2020, 01:23 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times

Advertisements

https://reason.com/2019/10/25/enviro...ce-california/

Interesting article about the environmental propaganda gospel that is seems to be infesting the world before COVID19 was even a thing. Totally something I noticed about it. And still spreading like wildfire only hit a speed bump because of COVID19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 01:50 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
From your article: "What activists fail to mention is that approximately 60 percent of plastic trash in the ocean comes from just five countries – China, Indonesia, The Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam—which have notoriously inefficient waste management systems," explained Billy Binion in Reason. "America, meanwhile, contributes less than 1 percent."

Yet the link your article provides states otherwise.

The U.S. ranks 20th on the list of countries contributing to plastic pollution in the ocean with an estimated 88 to 242 million pounds/year.

https://www.iswa.org/fileadmin/user_...768-71__2_.pdf

https://www.plasticpollutioncoalitio...an-is-recycled

Old 08-23-2020, 03:39 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

The U.S. ranks 20th on the list of countries contributing to plastic pollution in the ocean with an estimated 88 to 242 million pounds/year.

https://www.iswa.org/fileadmin/user_...768-71__2_.pdf

https://www.plasticpollutioncoalitio...an-is-recycled
Uh, your first link shows the US at .25 - .01% as his article said.

On your second link it estimates 88 to 240 million lbs. Now with 11million metric tons a year
https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...YaAoxTEALw_wcB
is 200 lbs more than a US ton so ... the figures make no sense as that would mean the US dumps all the plastic in the ocean at a number far above what is dumped in??????????

just 88 million lbs equals 39,916 metric tons?????????

https://www.google.com/search?client...ny+metric+tons

Old 08-23-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Uh, your first link shows the US at .25 - .01% as his article said.
I responded to his comment about plastic trash in the ocean.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:05 PM

The ban is absord regardless of total plastic as it does nothing to total plastic consumption and may likely raise it. As people otherwise would need to find other plastic film to take the place of reusing grocery bags for many household purposes. Also it allows other plastics to escape from garbage trucks.

Having said all this based on my experience including being in a citizens group going through the process to put this on the ballet in cities when this ban and fee” pandemic” first start to spread in 2012 in the SF Bay Area. The plastic bag industry I find is the most incompetent industry lobby I had ever seen. They couldn’t be worse that they never work with each other nor help each other they all think independently nor do they care about citizen’s initiatives as over 67% of citizens using random survey hate this movement as much as them. And over 90% would “vote” for plastic bags in the supermarket. Vs 5% paper and/or 5%cloth or no bag. I haven’t seen a lobby that is this incompetents no wonder they became the low hanging fruit for radical environmentalists to Target out of all other items that are much worse. In fact they don’t even make an effort to educate voters at all not even the Republicans at 2016 election particularly as their subject is on the bottom of a long list of propositions after the candidates where people just want to get over with by then. They are Not so different than the Indigenous tribes while the settlers storm in.

Though I believe the state has back room deals with big grocers throughout the pandemic including the poly to suspend the fee and ban for 60 days. It’s to help big grocers save money when they are pressured not to charge and an gives them an excuse to get back to charging as soon as possible. Otherwise they would have less excuse to restart charging if they just flaunted the rules all that time like they did in March and April by not enforcing the technically still in effect bag fee ordinance. Otherwise people would ask the state didn’t say you could stop charging why did you restart charging? CA never taken any true enforcement actions on stores in the past who did not charge or even use the right bag which happens with many smaller independent grocers.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:33 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I responded to his comment about plastic trash in the ocean.
That is what I posted info about "In the ocean".

Mist is coming from other Countries.

Mind you I agree plastic is a huge problem now and in so many cases should be replaced. Paper bags are best and growing trees for such is no different than growing trees for lumber.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:19 PM

Its interesting how those powers suddenly decides that the virus is not spread by contact points which I believe they are caving to big radical environmental interests to stop using COVID19 to block their "eco" movements especially the anti plastic movement and the charge for non plastics movements. They are also angry at people using disposable gloves and wipes and claiming that too much litter is caused by these. In reality if contact is not an issue why are self service fountain drinks still banned, why are buffets still banned, why is lost and found banned(better not lose anything these days it would be treated like biohazard waste and will be destroyed), why are play grounds, metal monkey bars, and plastic slides still tied up in caution tape, why do we have so much restrictions on swimming pools even outdoor ones that are almost never over 30% of its maximum capacity and never feel crowded?

Old 08-30-2020, 12:36 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Its interesting how those powers suddenly decides that the virus is not spread by contact points which I believe they are caving to big radical environmental interests to stop using COVID19 to block their "eco" movements especially the anti plastic movement and the charge for non plastics movements. They are also angry at people using disposable gloves and wipes and claiming that too much litter is caused by these. In reality if contact is not an issue why are self service fountain drinks still banned, why are buffets still banned, why is lost and found banned(better not lose anything these days it would be treated like biohazard waste and will be destroyed), why are play grounds, metal monkey bars, and plastic slides still tied up in caution tape, why do we have so much restrictions on swimming pools even outdoor ones that are almost never over 30% of its maximum capacity and never feel crowded?
Do me a favor, name the "big radical environmental interests" and explain to me how they were able to block their "eco movements"

Old 08-30-2020, 03:26 PM

I mean the Big radical environmental interests are angry at how progressive pro eco movement places like the SF Bay Area and others are rolling back the ban/fee movements and banning reusable bags as well as promoting single use gloves in the name of the health department for public health. That’s why they manipulated the system to prove that contact does not spread COVID19 to curb the return to single use plastic item and get stores to charge for bags again.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I mean the Big radical environmental interests are angry at how progressive pro eco movement places like the SF Bay Area and others are rolling back the ban/fee movements and banning reusable bags
No one's rolling back the bag ban.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/resea...les-statement/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California