Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Housing costs would be considerably cheaper as supply would grow. A win-win.
I really doubt that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because they're not idiots. The state budget struggles as it is. Prop 13 really did some damage. Eliminating the income tax would be a similar train wreck to Prop 13, if not worse.
Budget problems are not caused by lack of taxes. They are caused by spending more than you bring in. Last I heard though, Jerry Brown has done a fine job of creating a surplus of funds. This has happened thru taxation. Many say that we do much better under a Liberal leader. If that is the case then why would we need to continue to increase taxes. Proposition 13 has been a benefit to the people of the state. It has allowed people to keep their homes. In my neighborhood alone many have stayed in their homes because they are paid off and the owners do not have to pay that much in property taxes. That is a good thing. Still, people do not live forever. I have noticed three families on our street that have past on and the homes have since sold or are in the process of selling. This is a benefit to the state as the value will increase and they can get more tax dollars. I don't see this as the norm though. I have been here my entire life and the majority of people do not stay in the same home. I would say it is getting even less as jobs pull people to other areas. I remember people moving from older homes to newer homes, even when my parents continued to stay in the same home. They finally made the move as well. Since the time they left in 2003 the home I grew up in has sold three times changing the tax status each time.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Budget problems are not caused by lack of taxes. They are caused by spending more than you bring in. Last I heard though, Jerry Brown has done a fine job of creating a surplus of funds. This has happened thru taxation. Many say that we do much better under a Liberal leader. If that is the case then why would we need to continue to increase taxes. Proposition 13 has been a benefit to the people of the state. It has allowed people to keep their homes. In my neighborhood alone many have stayed in their homes because they are paid off and the owners do not have to pay that much in property taxes. That is a good thing. Still, people do not live forever. I have noticed three families on our street that have past on and the homes have since sold or are in the process of selling. This is a benefit to the state as the value will increase and they can get more tax dollars. I don't see this as the norm though. I have been here my entire life and the majority of people do not stay in the same home. I would say it is getting even less as jobs pull people to other areas. I remember people moving from older homes to newer homes, even when my parents continued to stay in the same home. They finally made the move as well. Since the time they left in 2003 the home I grew up in has sold three times changing the tax status each time.
Yes, prop 13 is a good thing for the people and not a law the politicians passed. Few people live in their original homes and each time they buy up, the taxes on the old home nd the new one increase. Some for some stupid reason think raising taxes would bring prices down. Nope, as the demand is what drives prices up not taxes. If prices are to drop demand has to drop and the requires a huge deterioration in income and wealth. Then no one could even buy the cheaper homes as they would earn less. Plus the higher taxes would require more income for those wanting to buy but can't, as they do not have enough money.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Housing costs would be considerably cheaper as supply would grow. A win-win.
I guess forcing seniors from their homes would open up more housing to those that need it.

Why should Granny on 2k a month social security be able to afford to live in a 2,000 square feet home with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms... she should do the right thing and move into a studio retirement facility and let a young family with kids have her home...

When I bought my home from the original owners of 50 years almost all my neighbors had 40+ years on the block...

To a last one... each time one passed the home was put up for sale... not a single child was interested in keeping Grandma's 1950 home in Oakland... no a one.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Why should Granny be able to afford to live in a 2,000 square feet home with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms... she should do the right thing and move into a studio retirement facility and let a young family with kids have her home...
wow...just wow. Now I guess seniors are supposed to feel guilty about remaining in their home because they are denying a young family with kids a home? Maybe you should run that past your parents and your aunts and uncles and see how they feel about that.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
wow...just wow. Now I guess seniors are supposed to feel guilty about remaining in their home because they are denying a young family with kids a home? Maybe you should run that past your parents and your aunts and uncles and see how they feel about that.
Don't you want people with assets in the millions to pay their fair share?

Old 11-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I think he was being sarcastic.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
They, millionaires, usually do not live in the same house they raised their kids in. Plus few have assets in the millions, many are on social security and a small retirement, military, etc.

Many younger people today have far greater income and ... yes they should pay their fair share.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
What does that have to do with old people 'doing the right thing' and moving out of their house? Most old people who own homes in California bought them when they were affordable for the middle class.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with old people 'doing the right thing' and moving out of their house? Most old people who own homes in California bought them when they were affordable for the middle class.
Uh, why is that the "right thing to do"??????? Why should they sell and leave what has been their "home" for decades and the memories are critical as you get older???

Your right, why care anything about the old ones, just drive then out so someone else can pay ....... more.

They were not necessarily anymore affordable when they bought them. Salaries were much lower then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California