Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:30 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,419,085 times

Advertisements

I I moved to Truckee thirty years ago. The town has changed over the years, but it is still a small town with a small town feel to it. I came from an even smaller town, Arroyo Grande. again we never locked our doors. We had 4 police in the Department. If us kids needed to go to town, we drove a tractor, which was legal for kids to do. Once some friends and I decided to cross the creek which was running near flood stage, we made it across by linking arms but it scared us so bad we did not want to return, so we headed into town to cross on the bridge,, mom was waiting in her car on the bridge. Someone had seen us cross the creek and called the various parents to alert them.

I had to walk two miles to school, someone always stopped to offer a ride.

I like small towns, the only thing I like better than small towns is isolated empty country.
And, I have lived in Boston, San Diego, Naples Italy,, Never became enamored of crowds and concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 10:17 AM

371 posts, read 1,817,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I I moved to Truckee thirty years ago. The town has changed over the years, but it is still a small town with a small town feel to it. I came from an even smaller town, Arroyo Grande. again we never locked our doors. We had 4 police in the Department. If us kids needed to go to town, we drove a tractor, which was legal for kids to do. Once some friends and I decided to cross the creek which was running near flood stage, we made it across by linking arms but it scared us so bad we did not want to return, so we headed into town to cross on the bridge,, mom was waiting in her car on the bridge. Someone had seen us cross the creek and called the various parents to alert them.

I had to walk two miles to school, someone always stopped to offer a ride.

I like small towns, the only thing I like better than small towns is isolated empty country.
And, I have lived in Boston, San Diego, Naples Italy,, Never became enamored of crowds and concrete.
Arroyo Grande?? That must have been 50 years ago, no offense.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,072,926 times
Great thread. I gave quick reps to both DiamondGirl and Steve97415...because they both have a point! Shouldn't this topic be moved to "General U.S."? It applies to "anywhere USA" not just CA.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 AM

45 posts, read 133,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
If you are NOT from a metro area and you are romanticizing living in one because of that old television series you saw where Buddy Ebsen moves his mother "granny" and his kids Jethro and Ellie-Mae from rural Appalachia to the tony Beverly Hills area, buys a mansion which in a matter of days becomes an oversized homestead with a "cement pond" and a lye-soap kettle, buys a movie studio, finds movie-star dates for Ellie, and has Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs over to eat 'possum stew on a regular basis......think again. Beware. The reality of leaving a small-town area where down-to-earth people greet you as you pass by, and own (and take care of) the independently-owned stores where you shop, are clean, neat, well groomed but not surgically-altered, smell like regular people and not like expensive perfume from Nordstroms, have teeth that aren't made of porcelain, live in subdivisions without gated entries, and in houses that don't have to be double dead-bolted against unlawful entry, dwell in neighborhoods without gang graffitti sprayed on every inch of public property, live in affordable houses with lot sizes bigger than .0002 acres, clean their windows and don't hoard money in Swiss bank accounts may be all things you take very much for granted. They also may be things you will miss greatly when you move to a large city. Not to mention the intelligence quotient. Do your homework ! When in Rome........wait a minute! What does that dictum have to do with anything mentioned here?

Well put! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:19 AM

68 posts, read 545,148 times
Default small town culture

I think DiamondGirl's view was actually quite candid and very accurate from my experiences as well. Speaking in generalities, of course.

This is an issue I face because I love the nature of rural areas, and I trail ride (horses), but the small town mentality of not warming up to "outsiders" and holding onto the status quo with a death grip, is hard to deal with.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 AM

128 posts, read 636,596 times
Default Hi Steve

Well Steve,
I guess you didn't make the connection when I said , "When in Rome....'
But maybe most of the girls reading this got it. I should know better about abstractions like that when communicating to men. That's why you guys think we're weird.....we tend to think in abstracts. So let me explain....
When in Rome, do as the Romans. That means fit in. If you move somewhere you will be inclined to want to fit in. You move to a small western town, you buy a cowboy hat, boots and a western tie. If you insist on wearing a wall street get up and a Rolex, you will not get that warm and fuzzy feeling from the folks at the local watering hole.

I'll give you another example. There was a watch I wanted really bad for my birthday for a long time. It had some diamonds in it and it is pretty expensive. When we moved, my husband asked if I thought I'd be wearing a watch like that anywhere around here. I said, "of course I will.....I am not moving to ................to die !!!
However, I never wear the watch. It feels out of place. In fact, I never wear any of my best clothes. They are sitting in the closet because I am always over dressed here. So, I went out and bought more sweats and "comfortable" clothes. When I go into my closet sometimes, I wonder what happened to that girl who used to want to get all jazzed up and be sexy and dressed up, with make-up and jewelry, and out to mingle with other "sexy and dressed up people."
Well, she's gone now. And I miss her.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:16 PM

Default I forgot something Steve

Yes, I forgot to tell you your post was really a really funny parody on mine. And so true.
The rural, small town folks I was speaking of would look like and feel like a sore thumb in the Metro areas. So true. I've already been called names on this site (Yuppie) by some of them. So, you are right as well. And this is why it is so great to have this place to come to read everyone's perspectives. And it's entertaining, too. Someone very smart said "There is no reality, only perception."

Old 12-01-2006, 12:31 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,419,085 times
Quote:
Arroyo Grande?? That must have been 50 years ago, no offense.
Arroyo Grande has grown, but, it still remains a small town, even the Walmart is not open 24 hours. Farming still happens, few of the farms have turned into subdivisions, the growth is predominately on the hills.

The shopping is better, but the village is still not fixed up as it should be.

10 miles east of town is as wild as it has ever been.

Our farm, where my mother lives a thousand miles from anyone, even though it is in the city limits.. We may be moving back... Tired of long cold winters.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:13 PM

Default To Dan the ScoreKeeper

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the score update. This is hilarious.....you're just like my husband. Always counting. So, that movie is an old one, the Chevy Chase funny........I remember that line....Cue the Deer....What context was that in again? God those movies were funny. What happened to him. He got old and mean.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 PM

111 posts, read 608,717 times
DiamondGirl, after Chevy is on verge of divorce partly cuz he is SOOoo out of place in rural Redbud, he decides to hire the locals to 'act' like locals from a Norman Rockwell (ie: the crazy drunk mailman becomes a sweet guy who sorts out the junk mail and brings cookies, etc) so he can sell his house to the next sucker from the city. "cue the deer" is when they literally let a caged deer out to run across the yard to impress the prospective buyers. Yet another couple who hadn't done their homework. I might have to go rent this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California