Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 PM

96 posts, read 366,056 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently got a job in Atascadero, CA (I'm from Maryland/DC). I would like to buy a condo for 200-250K. Found some possibilities in Paso Robles, Atascadero, and Grover Beach. Not sure which area is the nicest? From what I've read, people like SLO the best but it's out of my price range I'm married, no kids.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a buying agent?

Thank you in advance for your help...I am very excited! And very nervous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 8,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariecug View Post
Hello, I recently got a job in Atascadero, CA (I'm from Maryland/DC). I would like to buy a condo for 200-250K. Found some possibilities in Paso Robles, Atascadero, and Grover Beach. Not sure which area is the nicest? From what I've read, people like SLO the best but it's out of my price range I'm married, no kids.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a buying agent?

Thank you in advance for your help...I am very excited! And very nervous!
Hello;

In a nutshell, Paso and Atascadero which are north of the Cuesta Grade and are considerably hotter during the summer than the coastal communities like Grover. Paso, Atascadero (and Templeton between the two) are smaller, more western and less cosmopolitan than SLO. The coastal communities are different yet.

If you really love the beach and cooler weather, Grover might be a good choice although Shell Beach and Pismo are both closer to Atascadero. On the other hand, driving the Cuesta Grade every day might get to be a pain.

Between Paso and Atascadero you have a very well run and growing city (Paso) versus one that is struggling to remain small (Atascadero.) Probably the most "bang for your buck" is in the North County (Santa Margarita, Atascadeo, Templeton and Paso) right now.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 PM

336 posts, read 844,543 times
It is cheaper to buy in North County,ie,Atascadero and Paso.It is much hotter there, than Grover . If you want a cheaper beach area, Grover is the place-Pismo Beach and Morro Bay are nicer but more expensive.North County would be cheaper as far as getting more for your money.Also,there is a big grade you'd have to go over from Grover to get to Atascadero for your employment.It can be dangerous..
Atascadero and Paso are very nice areas.But, it's a ride to the beach and to San Luis Obispo.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 AM

336 posts, read 844,543 times
I talked to someone who just bought a place in Arroyo Grande(next to Grover).He said you could find a place in Grover,maybe in your price range.I'll dm you his agent's info, which he highly recommends.If you decide to move to North County,this agent will be able to direct you to someone there.Atascadero is closer to the beach than Paso.There is a road in Atascadero( 41) that goes directly to Morro Bay and you can avoid the grade.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
It is cheaper to buy in North County,ie,Atascadero and Paso.It is much hotter there, than Grover . If you want a cheaper beach area, Grover is the place-Pismo Beach and Morro Bay are nicer but more expensive.North County would be cheaper as far as getting more for your money.Also,there is a big grade you'd have to go over from Grover to get to Atascadero for your employment.It can be dangerous..
Atascadero and Paso are very nice areas.But, it's a ride to the beach and to San Luis Obispo.
Yea, but its a damn pretty ride to the beach. hwy 41 or 46.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 AM

101 posts, read 581,919 times
I'm genuinely curious why everyone makes such a big deal about the drive up the grade. I've only made it as a tourist passing through--but it's not exactly the Grapevine. It is fairly steep, but only for a few minutes, and it's a four lane, well-paved highway as I remember. Is there some time of day that it gets bogged down? Hwys 41 and 46 are two of the most beautiful drives in California--I love them--but they are both two lane highways, curvy, and if you count on them for a commute and get stuck behind a hay truck--well. So what is it about the grade that is so terrible?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono#9 View Post
I'm genuinely curious why everyone makes such a big deal about the drive up the grade. I've only made it as a tourist passing through--but it's not exactly the Grapevine. It is fairly steep, but only for a few minutes, and it's a four lane, well-paved highway as I remember. Is there some time of day that it gets bogged down? Hwys 41 and 46 are two of the most beautiful drives in California--I love them--but they are both two lane highways, curvy, and if you count on them for a commute and get stuck behind a hay truck--well. So what is it about the grade that is so terrible?
I'm with you on this one. I lived in SLO for 25+ years and never really minded going over Cuesta Grade. In either direction. Coming south, the views from the top are spectacular. I always found it amazing that you couldn't tell that SLO was down there somewhere. And especially in the summer, going north, as soon as you crested the grade, 20 degree warmer temps hit ya right in the face! There can't be too many places where that happens in the US. The only time I felt uncomfortable going either way was during a real thick morning fog. And I knew that once I crested the grade going north, an ice cold beer was just 5 minutes away at the old Santa Margarita Saloon!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 AM

101 posts, read 581,919 times
You conjure up some great pictures, lt. Dan--and the fog is something I hadn't thought of. Hate driving in fog!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM

96 posts, read 366,056 times
Sounds like it would be pretty good either way!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 AM

I think an earlier poster may have alluded to this, so, I'll just add my 2 cents worth.
What type of atmosphere are you looking for Ms.Marie? North of Cuesta Grade always seemed to me to be sort of "western". San Luis Obispo has a "college" feel to it and the communities to the south of SLO have more of a "beach town" feel. These differences are quite noticeable. I guess what I'm saying is--if you are going to pay good $$$ for a house in California, why not get the atmosphere that you like. Good Luck young lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California