Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
no need to remind me, he was awful but I don't think anyone here is saying that all Dems are wonderful.
Read the article.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
That is interesting because I don't see opinion surveys indicating that over 40% of Democratic voters think Trump was born overseas. Come to think of it, I don't hear Obama saying Trump was born overseas. But Trump played the birther LIE for five years!

A very useful lie to get us away from talking about the actual issues, unfortunately.
The birther lie started from Hilary camp. The woman got fired, nevertheless.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Nice shut down on the point of unfunded pension liabilities.
I read on yahoo news, this couple pension dropped 60%, CALPERS, is that for all CALPERS or just a small subgroup.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:18 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
He has done some good but, Maybe not that much:
Yes, the state’s budget is balanced if you are looking at what they are required to spend cash on this year, but not when you look at their expenses,” said Gabe Petek, a credit analyst with Standard & Poor’s."
Right now that is as bad as TX.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/.../California-s-400-billion-debt-worries-analysts-6812264.php
That debt means over $10,000 in debt for every man woman and child in CA, except the illegals.
THis site is interesting:
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Oops looking there CA is worse by about 25%
This site is even more interesting, California's state debt as a percentage of GDP is 6.74%, there are 20 states with a higher debt:GDP ratio
State Debt Rank for 2017 - Charts

and this one too, it shows California with a state debt per capita of $3,922, 19th highest. The Best and Worst Run States in America: A Survey of All 50 - 24/7 Wall St.

California is a big state with over 39 million people. California is projected to have a 2.8 billion dollar budget surplus Compare that to Oklahoma which faces a second year with a huge budget deficit of ~900 million (about 20% of it's total budget)

Moral of story, it helps to compare apples to apples.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Almost all states have some unfunded pension liability, that's not unusual or abnormal. California ranks right around half-way in comparison to other states: State pension fund gap to top $1 trillion
As a percentage of full funding, but....just out of curiosity....I wonder where California would rank if the metric dealt with dollars rather percentages, with the top of the graph showing the greatest estimated dollar deficiency rather than the lowest percentage relative to 100%/fully funded.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
As a percentage of full funding, but....just out of curiosity....I wonder where California would rank if the metric dealt with dollars rather percentages, with the top of the graph showing the greatest estimated dollar deficiency rather than the lowest percentage relative to 100%/fully funded.
What the hell difference does the dollar amount make? Everything in the universe is relative. $1 million in debt to you or me is a lot of money. To Bill Gates or Warren Buffet? Not so much. California is the Warren Buffet of the states.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:54 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What the hell difference does the dollar amount make? Everything in the universe is relative. $1 million in debt to you or me is a lot of money. To Bill Gates or Warren Buffet? Not so much. California is the Warren Buffet of the states.
Why so defensive? Did I hit a nerve? If the result of my curiosity also put California in the middle of the pack, why would any cheerleaders re the way California is run care about my question?

Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Almost all states have some unfunded pension liability, that's not unusual or abnormal. California ranks right around half-way in comparison to other states: State pension fund gap to top $1 trillion
It was just a few years ago that one of the small eastern states--Delaware? Rhode Island?--announced a crisis in their pension fund, and said they'd end up defaulting in a few years. I don't know whatever happened to that issue.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
California is doomed.
It is a failed state, totally ungovernable.
It has a dysfunctional mob rule system. There are no checks and balances in force.

The good news is the crash that is coming will basically wipe out California - and that's exactly what the doctor ordered - a reboot or a reset. Clean the slate.

The most visible manifestation of the failure of CA so far has got to be the percentage of the nation's welfare cases, homeless, and illegals. Then you look at the stratospheric level of income inequality and realize this underclass is only fuel on the fire - the middle class isn't doing well at all either. They can't afford any of the things that used to typify a middle-class lifestyle; home ownership of a single family home, college education, vacations, savings for retirement. And worse, they can't do it on even TWO incomes, as opposed to a single earner income like was more typical, back in California's heyday.

All of this points to a massive decline in sustainability....everything is being pushed and pressured to its limits.

I have come to think of California like aggressive tumors in a cancer patient. You have one tumor, confined to a single area or organ...its not hopeless. You can treat that!

But you have three or four tumors, spread across the body, or in the lymphatics....the patient is probably gonna die.

CA reminds me of the cancer patient with the metastases that keeps valiantly holding out hope after hope...well, it's just in the lung, not so bad. I will fight this! Oh, well now also in the lymph nodes. I will not give up! People have beaten this before, so I can too. Hmm, ok...Well, now also in the liver. Well the doctor said that might happen. A temporary setback. Can't operate but the chemo should help!

Then when the tests show their malignancies are either growing or not declining in size or number, and their labs are trending the wrong way, and their oncologist tells them there are no other modalities to explore - only then do they realize the gravity of the situation.

That is California right now. At the end of the treatment plan, with even bigger and more numerous problems than ever before. And if CA was a lung cancer patient...what would it be saying? I need my smokes! Run out and get me a pack, will ya?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:07 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Read the article.
WHAT article? You never posted a link to an article

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
A lot of republican bashing in this article. It conveniently forgot what Davis did to California. And this is 2013 article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California