Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:39 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Wakeboard Jet Ski on Sacramento River in Sactown, you can't do this Fresno, nor can you raft down a very clean river in Fresno, but you can on the American River in Sacramento.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6LCAP0sGXc

Miller Park Downtown Sacramento going past Old Sacramento and under the Tower Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JSAI0WJuKA

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-27-2016 at 11:47 PM..

Old 12-28-2016, 02:19 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento has not been over 100 in the last 2-3 months. You must have the Sacramento Valley by your area confused with Sac Metro.
The current AQI at this moment I'm posting at both the Arden/Arcade/Del Paso and Sacramento monitoring stations is 156. The forecast for Sacramento tomorrow is 102. Its been doing this regularly for weeks (oh, and Fresno's AQI is 81).

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?act...enter=0&tabs=0

Quote:
Top 10 U.S. Cities Most Polluted by Year-Round Particle Pollution (Annual PM 2.5)
Metropolitan Statistical Areas
1. Fresno-Madera, Calif.

2. Bakersfield, Calif.

3. Visalia-Porterville-Hanford, Calif.

4. Modesto-Merced, Calif.

5. Los Angeles-Long Beach, Calif.

6. El Centro, Calif.

7. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA

8. Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville, OH-KY-IN

9. Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton, Penn.-Ohio-W.Va.

10. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH

Interesting, Sacramento is NOT in the top ten. But the Bay Area IS in the top 10...lo and behold.

Fresno is the absolute worse in the Country as is the rest of the San Joaquin Valley. Note, none are in the Sacramento Valley.
Sacramento is #5 for worst ozone pollution in the country (right behind Fresno @ #4).

http://www.stateoftheair.org/2015/ci...ed-cities.html

I don't know why you keep arguing the point. While Fresno is worse Sacramento's air quality is pretty poor.

Last edited by BeauCharles; 12-28-2016 at 02:38 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
The current AQI at this moment I'm posting at both the Arden/Arcade/Del Paso and Sacramento monitoring stations is 156. The forecast for Sacramento tomorrow is 102. Its been doing this regularly for weeks (oh, and Fresno's AQI is 81).

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association | State of the Air 2015

I don't know why you keep arguing the point. While Fresno is worse Sacramento's air quality is pretty poor.

I don't know why you leave out vital stats like All Year Particle Pollution and Short Term Particle Pollution.

Fresno is the worst in both of those categories. The Bay Area is #7, and #6, respectively.

Sacramento is below #25 and #14, respectively.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I don't know why you leave out vital stats like All Year Particle Pollution and Short Term Particle Pollution.

Fresno is the worst in both of those categories. The Bay Area is #7, and #6, respectively.

Sacramento is below #25 and #14, respectively.
I don't know why YOU were leaving out the ozone for Sac @ #5 in the country. Again, I don't understand why you keep cheerleading their air quality when the local officials aren't satisfied with it. Oh, and no mention of the AirNow map I linked? Sacramento has a current AQI of 140. Fresno is 58 right now. They burn too much wood in the winter in North State. Believe me - I know (as the neighborhood smoke seeps into my house).

Lets recap - overall Sacramento has better air than Fresno. Again, its BETTER than Fresno. M'kay? There's no argument there. Comparatively speaking though Sacramento has POOR air quality. No one but you is going to contest that fact.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:39 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,601 times
Quote:
Top 10 U.S. Cities Most Polluted by Year-Round Particle Pollution (Annual PM 2.5)
Metropolitan Statistical Areas
1. Fresno-Madera, Calif.

2. Bakersfield, Calif.

3. Visalia-Porterville-Hanford, Calif.

4. Modesto-Merced, Calif.

5. Los Angeles-Long Beach, Calif.

6. El Centro, Calif.

7. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA

8. Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville, OH-KY-IN

9. Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton, Penn.-Ohio-W.Va.

10. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH

Interesting, Sacramento is NOT in the top ten. But the Bay Area IS in the top 10...lo and behold.

Fresno is the absolute worse in the Country as is the rest of the San Joaquin Valley. Note, none are in the Sacramento Valley.
Let's get more detailed / specific / accurate / educated re; air pollution.
Re; ozone pollution Sacramento ranks #6 and re; short term particle pollution (i'm not sure what that is) Sacramento ranks #17. Those two rankings are for the entire U.S. and not just California.
So if you think Sacramento has good air, think again. It just does not and to say otherwise is to mislead (even if unintentionally).
By the way, just in case you think i'm a coastal CA gloating about how pristine it all is, the air in the Monterey Bay area was horrific last summer. The fires were part of the problem but not the only reason. In S.C. county we now have the worst traffic ever (here) with freeway and 17 jammed for many hours in the day now. To what extent we get the really crappy south bay air, i'm not sure but i imagine that we do when conditions allow despite the presence of the Santa Cruz mountains.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559valleyboy View Post
You ever hear of a river called the San Joaquin? Quit being so dense.
It's sad how the San Joaquin has been sucked dry; it barely reaches SF Bay at times. Yeah, I don't resort to name calling. It is what it is Sacramento blows Fresno out in every category, barely any comparison at all. Efforts to restore the San Joaquin have been in place and sincerely hopes the river is restored.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Let's get more detailed / specific / accurate / educated re; air pollution.
Re; ozone pollution Sacramento ranks #6 and re; short term particle pollution (i'm not sure what that is) Sacramento ranks #17. Those two rankings are for the entire U.S. and not just California.
So if you think Sacramento has good air, think again. It just does not and to say otherwise is to mislead (even if unintentionally).
By the way, just in case you think i'm a coastal CA gloating about how pristine it all is, the air in the Monterey Bay area was horrific last summer. The fires were part of the problem but not the only reason. In S.C. county we now have the worst traffic ever (here) with freeway and 17 jammed for many hours in the day now. To what extent we get the really crappy south bay air, i'm not sure but i imagine that we do when conditions allow despite the presence of the Santa Cruz mountains.
I never said Sacramento doesn't have bad air at times, rather I focused on how many days the air is good or moderate. It is curious how some air management districts except for Sacramento's tells how many days per year the air was unhealthy, and they make it easy to see how many bad air days there were. Sac's Air Quality Management District measures a "Spare the Air" day as 126 and above, which is lower than most air quality management districts that call a day of 150 and above as a bad air day.

Other air quality management districts do not make it easy to see how many days per year the air was in the Unhealthy Category 150 and above, so it is difficult to compare cities/regions. The lists posted from American Lung Association thus far are based on formulas instead of just telling us how many days per year the air was 150 and above.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:39 PM

American River rafting on the American River in the Heart of Sactown. No such river in Fresno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IEndMwcS4Y

Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 PM

Same river but 30-45 minutes up the hill from Sacramento. The American River has 3 forks of White Water, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Class ratings. North Fork, South Fork, and here is the Middle Fork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86BeH27mGmk

Old 12-29-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
American River rafting on the American River in the Heart of Sactown. No such river in Fresno.
Can you get to three world renowned national parks in 90 minutes from Sacramento? Didn't think so. Also, the San Joaquin River isn't dry as it marks Fresno's northern boundary. You can swim, raft and kayak on it. There's also white water rafting/kayaking on it less than an hour north. Just 15 minutes north of Fresno is Millerton Lake for boating, water skiing and jet skiing. There's also the Kings River 25 miles away. The point is both cities have fantastic outdoor activities within easy reach. Please stop this ridiculous pissing contest. Again, I don't think anyone is arguing Sacramento isn't the better city within the city.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California