Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
One major thing in defense of Texas is that they don't have the plethora of stupid nanny state laws that we have here in California. For just one example, unenforceable firearms laws, with more to come in 2017.

That is an understandable appeal of Texas, indeed.
I like guns, but that is hardly a reason to live in a state like Texas. Eight days in Central Texas has taught me a lot. Liberal CA politics with great weather and interesting scenery/countryside. Good. And I am a republican!

Horrible weather (75* with 70% humidity in December!) Rolling country with scrub oak and juniper. Postage stamp subdivisions-just like newer CA areas. No advantage there except for price. But wages are lower in TX. Kinda of a wash.

So I got my gun and 150 rounds. I look out my door at trees and mountains. life is good. Texas? OK for those who like it. Not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
One major thing in defense of Texas is that they don't have the plethora of stupid nanny state laws that we have here in California.
Oh really? Here's a little sampler of Texas laws (yes, current, on the books):
Quote:
Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.
Quote:
The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
Quote:
Homosexual behavior is a misdemeanor offense.
Quote:
One must acknowledge a supreme being before being able to hold public office.
Quote:
It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.
Mind you, I don't have anything against Texas. I'm rootin' and tootin' for it to attract as many Californians as it can ... bon-voyageee, as Bugs used to say ...

Old 12-31-2016, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Very true... Austin is often referred to as little California and is BY FAR the most liberal city in Texas.... I like Austin and it does have a lot to offer in terms of jobs and some scenery (compared to the rest of the state) but it's just getting WAY too crowded here.... Austin was / is meant to hold approximately 500,000 people yet our population is in the area of 1.5 million.... traffic has become horrendous here. I kinda missing my days living in Woodland (right next to Sacramento) where i lived in a small town with big city amenities just a 15 minute drive away...
And I can remember, when Austin was just that little town you are talking about like Wooland. Well with the university and capitol not that small. I love where I am living now and will live the rest of my life: we are small, have trees everywhere, in fact you can say we live in the forest; few houses on our street and yet, within 15 to 30 minutes we have all the city advantages.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I like guns, but that is hardly a reason to live in a state like Texas. Eight days in Central Texas has taught me a lot. Liberal CA politics with great weather and interesting scenery/countryside. Good. And I am a republican!

Horrible weather (75* with 70% humidity in December!) Rolling country with scrub oak and juniper. Postage stamp subdivisions-just like newer CA areas. No advantage there except for price. But wages are lower in TX. Kinda of a wash.

So I got my gun and 150 rounds. I look out my door at trees and mountains. life is good. Texas? OK for those who like it. Not for me.
I think the thing you are missing here is; what works for one doesn't for someone else and you are still basing your opinion on a few days and a very small area. Do I love Texas? Nope, that is why we left, but you seem to think it has no redeeming features and Ca. is Gods gift to the world. There are many who are able to see the pluses of each. BTW the humidity in Dec is rarely as high as you say and the temps are low enough that it should not bother anyone. How about the humidity if you live in a beach community in Ca? How about the weather in Eureka CA or the inland hotter than hell desert? See there are parts of California without the wonderful weather you rave about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California