Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times

Advertisements

I'm a transplanted New Yorker, and so is my jewish wife.

We love Huntington Beach - more specifically the Huntington Harbour Area. There is a chabad center within walking distance from our home - and since she is a secular Jew, and I am a non-practicing catholic - we don't use it. But it is very convenient to a large population of shabbat observing jews in our area).

Schools are top rated - especially the High Schools (Fountain Valley, Edison, Marina and Huntington Beach)

We are also walking distance to the beach, the harbor (sailing, boating. kayaking, rowing) and a very large nature preserve.
Bike trails.

While there are plenty of amenities within walking distance to keep us amused and entertained during the weekdays, downtown Huntington Beach and Old Town Seal Beach are easy bike rides. Disneyland (Anaheim), is a 15-20 minute drive. Downtown LA is only 30 miles away. Long Beach is 7 miles away and offers more amenities and events than most American cities. Newport Beach, Laguna Beach are also easy drives. I've been here for over 20 years, and I'm still finding new things to do.

Keep in mind that Southern California can be very hectic if you make the wrong choices (ie, getting on the freeways at peak hours)

Southern California essentially has two seasons - Spring/Fall and Summer. It can get very cold during the evening in December and January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 03:35 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
For SoCal I would definitely visit the South Bay cities including:
Manhattan Beach
Torrance
Palos Verdes

Although Santa Monica and the West Side in general is nice, its a little too urban and crowded for my taste, especially for families. Its also very close to Hollywood where many folks living there work in 'the industry.' That being said, if you're ok with the Tinsel Town environment and its associated subculture, the Jewish population is definitely a part of it. Pacific Palisades and Brentwood would be worth checking out.

As you visit the various areas of SoCal you will definitely experience different subcultures including ethnic/religious/non-religious mixes. These areas do have their own vibes with some that may suit your family more than others. From my POV, I would not raise kids in area where there are fewer families and more singles. That's where you have you balance out living in more suburban locations versus urban single hot spots.

Regarding schools, here's a good map to get a general idea. Zoom into the areas in question. Keep in mind that the data is old, but most of the nicer areas still have better schools which includes their own school districts: California School Performance Maps

For Coastal SoCal towns which tend to also be more on the exclusive side, I think LA will have more of a racial/relgious mix than OC or SD counties. You can google the stats. LA has the 5th highest Jewish population worldwide, for example, just below Jerusalem. SD and especially OC counties have far fewer.

This thread may interest you. It looks like the West Side has a significant Jewish presence: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...community.html

Derek
Well, many highly successful industry people live in those west side areas, but Hollywood the neighborhood is nowhere near Santa Monica. It is central LA, with everything past it considered the east side.

And I second the recommendation of Manhattan Beach.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:40 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
For SoCal I would definitely visit the South Bay cities including:
Manhattan Beach
Torrance
Palos Verdes

Although Santa Monica and the West Side in general is nice, its a little too urban and crowded for my taste, especially for families. Its also very close to Hollywood where many folks living there work in 'the industry.' That being said, if you're ok with the Tinsel Town environment and its associated subculture, the Jewish population is definitely a part of it. Pacific Palisades and Brentwood would be worth checking out.

As you visit the various areas of SoCal you will definitely experience different subcultures including ethnic/religious/non-religious mixes. These areas do have their own vibes with some that may suit your family more than others. From my POV, I would not raise kids in area where there are fewer families and more singles. That's where you have you balance out living in more suburban locations versus urban single hot spots.

Regarding schools, here's a good map to get a general idea. Zoom into the areas in question. Keep in mind that the data is old, but most of the nicer areas still have better schools which includes their own school districts: California School Performance Maps

For Coastal SoCal towns which tend to also be more on the exclusive side, I think LA will have more of a racial/relgious mix than OC or SD counties. You can google the stats. LA has the 5th highest Jewish population worldwide, for example, just below Jerusalem. SD and especially OC counties have far fewer.

This thread may interest you. It looks like the West Side has a significant Jewish presence: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...community.html

Derek
Someone asks for a recommendation with no budgetary constraints and your suggestion is.... Torrance?

Really?

Old 12-27-2016, 03:53 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Someone asks for a recommendation with no budgetary constraints and your suggestion is.... Torrance?

Really?
Yes, really. Apparently you don't know the area very well, do you? Torrance covers a very wide area including exclusive coastal neighborhoods right on and near the water. Schools are excellent and its very family friendly. Take a look at the Hollywood Riviera neighborhood, for example, among others before jumping to wrong conclusions.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Well, many highly successful industry people live in those west side areas, but Hollywood the neighborhood is nowhere near Santa Monica. It is central LA, with everything past it considered the east side.

And I second the recommendation of Manhattan Beach.
Yes, I used to work there as a real estate appraiser and visited many of those West Side neighborhoods. A very high percentage of folks living in the exclusive neighborhoods work in the industry. So while its not *in* Hollywood, the social circles and overall environment/vibe is heavily influenced by it. I saw some ridiculously lavish homes with full movie theaters in them, etc... I had the chance to meet producers, actors, etc... while working there. Its just a different place than other parts of LA County.

Derek

Old 12-27-2016, 04:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
You say that there is no financial problem, but there is one thing to consider if you plan on buying a home. Tell us what would be your maximum price you would be willing to pay for a home for your family, that would get your children in a good schools. Some areas that are recommended may or not be above your budgeted amount for a home.

Of all your requirements, the price you can/prefer to pay for a home in an area of good schools, are the two most important factors, and really both together need to be within your requirements to get advice where would be a good place to move.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 25,493 times
I've lived in Orange County my whole life, and it sounds like this could be a great fit for your family. Trabuco Canyon is really nice; small but not too small, with amazing restaurants and it's extremely family friendly. It's about 20ish minutes away from the beach and has great schools! Also- Mission Viejo/ Ladera Ranch are amazing, also mid sized and extremely family friendly! Super close to the beach, tons of malls, restaurants, parks( Oneill park is an amazing park for biking/hiking). Extremely low crime, as said above amazing nationally ranked schools, and I don't personally know about the Jewish population, however I do know there is a Jewish synagogue in Mission Viejo. Hope this helps!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You say that there is no financial problem, but there is one thing to consider if you plan on buying a home. Tell us what would be your maximum price you would be willing to pay for a home for your family, that would get your children in a good schools. Some areas that are recommended may or not be above your budgeted amount for a home.

Of all your requirements, the price you can/prefer to pay for a home in an area of good schools, are the two most important factors, and really both together need to be within your requirements to get advice where would be a good place to move.
Well, he did say not to worry about finances. With such a wide range of home prices, it definitely plays a role for most unless money is really no object. If so, then many of the places mentioned would be great. If multi-million dollar homes, some with ocean views, are too much then one needs to scale back accordingly.

When some people heard don't worry about the money, I think they jumped right away to the other extreme mentally. Like the mansions overlooking the ocean in Palos Verdes, Pacific Palisades, Manhattan Beach, etc...

Derek

Old 12-27-2016, 05:13 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,601 times
Much of coastal California (until you get north of Marin County and generally speaking) is not UN-hectic!
You can find communities up and down the coast that are more laid back than others (and btw the Monterey Bay area [particularly Santa Cruz County now basically a friggin bedroom community of Silicon Valley ] is no longer one of them! - "oh what a rat race") but don't assume that the California you're dreaming of is mellow paradise.
You are fortunate however that you don't have to commute. But educate yourself about the traffic patterns in any area that you are considering. A home close to the beach (for example) may be so as the "crow flies" but not as the car drive.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:33 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Since money is no object, you could get a quiet ocean view home in Monarch Beach (Dana Point, OC):
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Dana-Point...9/home/4954962

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Dana-Point...9/home/4956411

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Dana-Point...9/home/4960760
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California