Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM

24 posts, read 84,985 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm currently an sophomore undergraduate student who lives in northern New Jersey. I've lived here for most of my life and I would like to leave NJ permanently. After travelling to the west coast, I'm beginning to understand that living in NJ has really negatively affected my life--I'm actually more anxious, stressed out, and angry when I come back home from college to NJ. I also want to become more independent and move out of my parents' house as well. My parents are EXTREMELY controlling and I cannot develop into a more independent, knowledgeable, and cultural person. Initially I thought maybe I was just a typical young adult who whines about his parents and should be grateful for not paying for rent, utilities, and food. But, a lot people comment that my parents are extremely controlling.

I'm looking for a complete 360 from NJ.

1) I love the outdoors where I can actually try to explore new sports and activities like rock climbing, surfing, hiking, hockey, skiing, etc.

2) Warmer climate than NJ winters and less humid as well.

3) I'm currently a student at Cornell University and I want to also finish my undergraduate years there. I'm planning to make the move after I graduate and start pursuing my graduate degree. I'm trying to major in industrial labor relations and minor in renewable energy systems. So I either want to go to law school or pursue a degree relevant to the renewable energy industry.

4) I'm really concerned about the cost of living in California because I heard they're increasing.

5) I'm also scared of the size of the state--I know, this sounds pathetic. But I'm from New Jersey, and it takes maybe a couple hours to drive through the state while it might take days to drive through California. California also has one of the largest and most diverse populations, which would be a big culture shock to me.

6) I also heard that employment in California is not very good as well...

7) I'm trying to simply live in a new area where I can actually live by myself. I don't mind having to work or use public transportation. Basically as long as I can survive that's all that matters. I don't need anything fancy or elaborate things that most people feel they need when they move to a new place.

If I need to respond to more questions to get a better answer, feel free to ask as many questions! I would really appreciate your help because I'm trying to save up for money now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM

64 posts, read 133,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj278 View Post
Hello!

I'm actually more anxious, stressed out, and angry when I come back home from college to NJ.
I'm confused. Do you commute daily from your parent's home or do you live on campus and come home to visit?

I would highly suggest spending a year or two living in a campus apartment community or dorm. This can be very beneficial in a variety of ways (socially, academically, networking, etc.). You don't have to move all the way to CA to gain independence.

If you already have this experience, stick it out with the parents. It sucks...BAD, I know. But this is a time where you can really set yourself up good financially. Get a part-time job and save, save, save.

I was transferred to CA from GA. There are many things I like about CA, but there are a whole host of things I do not like. I know now that I will eventually want to be back east.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
OP would have to be Superman to commute from Cornell to NJ daily. OP, your degree in IR from Cornell is gold. How are your grades? Boalt (UCB) and Stanford are the best law schools, but there are many other excellent choices including USF, USC etc. If you are in your second year of college you are surely old enough to handle living in a more diverse population. Just don't overthink it. Sounds like you have a bright future!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 PM

24 posts, read 84,985 times
Thanks for the responses!

@Bama1787 What specifically do you not like about Cali? How does the West Coast compare to the East Coast?

@Eureka Do you like in Eureka? That was one one of the cities I was looking at. Are there any other cities that I should look at in northern Cali?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
If you're planning to go to grad school, who will pay the tuition? If your tuition and living expenses will be covered by family, you don't need to worry about the cost of living in CA until you finish your grad degree. There's grad student housing where you get a room to yourself, no roommates. Some housing includes meals. Overall it's cheaper than living in an apartment.

I think you need to focus first on getting into a grad school and getting through the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California