Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bakersfield or Fresno?
Bakersfield 11 36.67%
Fresno 19 63.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM

52 posts, read 332,805 times

Advertisements

You guys are scaring me on Fresno!!!!! It sounds like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smoggy, gangs, murder, ugly, gross, crime, and you name it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does not sound good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 PM

68 posts, read 309,992 times
Pick your poison. Both are consider the armpit of California. My wife is from Fresno and she hated growing up there. If I was forced to pick, I would pick Bakersfield because it is close to LA. Both cities have terrible weather and smog.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post
You guys are scaring me on Fresno!!!!! It sounds like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smoggy, gangs, murder, ugly, gross, crime, and you name it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does not sound good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My friend do not despair, these are the responces that are always given for these cities, Fresno is larger than Bakersfield and will have more to do, Bakersfield has plenty to do also, both are fine, the people are friendly but their not high strung cities, more kicked back. If you move to either you won't be affected by any gang activity unless you hang out in the worst places in town, just like any other town.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Hi there,i'm sure Fresno has it's good parts of town,but if you do decide to move there you should visit the place first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post

Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermoose View Post
Pick your poison. Both are consider the armpit of California. My wife is from Fresno and she hated growing up there. If I was forced to pick, I would pick Bakersfield because it is close to LA. Both cities have terrible weather and smog.
I would have to agree with you though the fact that Fresno is closer to Yosemite, Shaver, Pine Lake etc... gives it the nod for me. It really depends whether you want to be closer to LA or you like the mountains/lakes that are closer to Fresno, but like you say they are both considered the armpits of the state therefore are much cheaper to live in at the cost of your health, as they are also considered as the asthma capitals of the country.(note all the asthma centers there).

Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
the reason for being so smoggy for their sizes, and getting the name the armpit of california, is for lots of people driving in cool air conditioned cars to stay our of the muggy heat. fresno has a nice tooly fog in the morning, and Bakersfield doesn't. Bakersfield is hotter than Fresno.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:09 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
I see a lot of old information about Fresno in this thread so I'll post some current info.

Crime? Fresno hit a 41 year low in crime last year. The per capita violent crime rate in Fresno is LOWER than in the city of San Francisco.

Fresno has not been the car theft capital of the nation in years. It currently ranks below Sacramento, Modesto, Seattle, Phoenix, Las Vegas and others.

Asthma? The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America ranks Fresno #30 in the US, behind cities like Nashville, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Dallas, Hartford, and others.

Weather? Fresno has about 35 days a year over 100 degrees and 35 days a year with thick fog. So 10 months of great weather.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM

19 posts, read 167,637 times
I live in Fresno. I'm sick of it. I've only driven through Bakersfield, so can't tell my experiences there. I'm trying to get out of the area. I'm sick of the central valley and bad air.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidofghettos View Post
Flint, MI is not a good place to live. It is #3 on most dangerous cities in the nation as of 2007.

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com

I see you don't speak sacrasm fluently!

I like Bakersfield. I can't really comment on Fresno, as I've only been there once as a kid... Dad driving, got lost and Dad cussed and screamed the whole time.

Best of luck on your decision!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I don't think there is a huge difference between Bakersfield and Fresno. It depends on if you want to be closer to LA or SF. I prefer the Bay Area to SoCal. Fresno is also close to Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP's. There is skiing 1.5 hours from Fresno too. Not sure about Bakersfield. But you're closer to Mammoth in Bakersfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California