Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 PM

36 posts, read 208,384 times

Advertisements

The only snake I have seen in the last year is a ringneck racer, it is about the size of a pencil, deep grass green on it's back with a dark orange belly with little black spots in the orange and an orange ring around it's neck. It is beautiful but kind of hard to spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
The mountain lion stories remind me of a horrible incident in the foothills of Orange Co where 2 women riding bikes were attacked. One escaped but the other woman was partially eaten by the time they found her.

Another less dangerous critter are tarantulas that live in the same place as snakes & mt. lions. Actually these giant spiders are rather harmless. But a girl friend of my sister got bit by a tarantula when she was partying at night. Too much beer/bud. The following morning she had a bruise-like bite mark & nearly fainted when the MD told her it was from a tarantula

Old 03-08-2008, 01:55 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The mountain lion stories remind me of a horrible incident in the foothills of Orange Co where 2 women riding bikes were attacked. One escaped but the other woman was partially eaten by the time they found her.

Another less dangerous critter are tarantulas that live in the same place as snakes & mt. lions. Actually these giant spiders are rather harmless. But a girl friend of my sister got bit by a tarantula when she was partying at night. Too much beer/bud. The following morning she had a bruise-like bite mark & nearly fainted when the MD told her it was from a tarantula
Wait till you see a tarantula migration. Up here in the SF East Bay hills, they migrate twice a year. The first time I saw it was up on a mountain road at dusk. They were blanketing the road on their way down the mountain. At the time it freaked me out and I was hesitant to say anything for fear I'd be committed but it turns out it's a regular occurrence.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:10 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Yep, it happens in the canyons near San Fernando Valley too. They migrate in the same place every time too. It's amazing to see.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,867 times
Out here in the Southern California we do indeed have several deadly snakes. We have the Southern Pacific and the Mojave Green. Snakes are a fact of life here especially in the Santa Clarita Valley. These days I rarely flinch at the site of a snake and in fact I make sure any snakes on trails are relocated to areas off trail.

I guess I just respect the creatures more than others.

Capt. Ed Castillo
Southern California EMS
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EMS...So others may live!!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcastle View Post
Out here in the Southern California we do indeed have several deadly snakes. We have the Southern Pacific and the Mojave Green. Snakes are a fact of life here especially in the Santa Clarita Valley. These days I rarely flinch at the site of a snake and in fact I make sure any snakes on trails are relocated to areas off trail.

I guess I just respect the creatures more than others.

Capt. Ed Castillo
Southern California EMS
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EMS...So others may live!!
I agree with you. Live and let live!!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Of-course, you're not recommending relocating rattle snakes, right?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 AM

I didn't say relocate..avoid them if in the woods but if they do come in your yard, I had children when I lived there, then my husband would kill them. With children or pets you can't take a chance. I would never intentionally hit any living creature on the road and the same holds true when out hiking. I'd even have probably relocated them myself if they were in my yard but hubbie said there was a possibility they would just come back and would not take a chance--I understood that!!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM

I agree w/ you. Overwhelmingly, when human interacts w/ snake, it is the snake that flees, even rattlers. Let them be. As a kid I used to ride my bike over the San Juan grade into San Juan Batista & see lots of rattlers [also tarantulas] warming themselves in the morning sun. Always back away slowly.

On the other hand when dangerous reptiles or spiders [like scorpions/black widows - not tarantulas] come close or into the house one needs to take aggressive measures including killing the intruder.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I agree w/ you. Overwhelmingly, when human interacts w/ snake, it is the snake that flees, even rattlers. Let them be. As a kid I used to ride my bike over the San Juan grade into San Juan Batista & see lots of rattlers [also tarantulas] warming themselves in the morning sun. Always back away slowly.

On the other hand when dangerous reptiles or spiders [like scorpions/black widows - not tarantulas] come close or into the house one needs to take aggressive measures including killing the intruder.
I wish the rattle snakes I came across would flee. I've never come across one who
didn't make it clear that if anyone was going to be fleeing it was going to be me. Even the one in my backyard that bit my golden retreiver took his time going off into the bushes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California