Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a secession?
Absolutely. 88 40.37%
I would vote against it, but would stay in California regardless of the outcome. 46 21.10%
I would vote against it, and leave if California seceded. 84 38.53%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
Most of the younger generation thinks that state's rights are crap (myself included). Yes, 200+ years ago it would be next to impossible to manage a country the size of ours effectively but now is the time to get rid of the redundant bureaucracy from each state. Do we really need 50 different DMV's? What about 50 departments of education that all have the goal of educating our children?
Then we would no longer be a federation but unitary centralized government YUCK! no thanks. The states would quite effectively not be states anymore so we would be known as the United what of America?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Then we would no longer be a federation but unitary centralized government YUCK! no thanks. The states would quite effectively not be states anymore so we would be known as the United what of America?
How about The United NFL Teams of America?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Secession will NEVER happen IMO. A second Civil War is a real possibility. If that happens the population in North America will be reduced by about 50%. This Civil War may be seen as an opportunity by other powers in the World to invade. That would almost inevitably lead to a World Wide Nuclear War.
The MEEK Shall inherit the Earth may end up being true.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:24 PM

189 posts, read 195,674 times
Quote:
Most of the younger generation thinks that state's rights are crap (myself included). Yes, 200+ years ago it would be next to impossible to manage a country the size of ours effectively but now is the time to get rid of the redundant bureaucracy from each state. Do we really need 50 different DMV's? What about 50 departments of education that all have the goal of educating our children? Furthermore, businesses continue to play each state off each other which is why CA continues to lose jobs. I have personally laid off 40 people in the last 12 months with their positions moving to another state.

How many businesses have left California? This report claims to have an answer
The single most ridiculous post I have ever seen on City data. This sounds like the soviet union and nazi germany to me this idea. No self determination. Basically One Ring to Rule Them All. Mordor. Dictatorships operate like that. That goes against the idea of CalExit AND against the idea of federalism.

The USA by the way (Thank The Lord) is not a mob pure democracy. It is a federal republic. The states represent the people. If you live in Town X do you want Town Y to come in and overrule what your values are?

And the idea of laying off positions to another state. That sounds like the beauty of interstate commerce. May the best state win. We are all on the same team in theory. I'm glad its not losing jobs to Mexico and China.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:40 PM

911 posts, read 590,861 times
Quote:
Most of the younger generation thinks that state's rights are crap (myself included). Yes, 200+ years ago it would be next to impossible to manage a country the size of ours effectively but now is the time to get rid of the redundant bureaucracy from each state. Do we really need 50 different DMV's? What about 50 departments of education that all have the goal of educating our children? Furthermore, businesses continue to play each state off each other which is why CA continues to lose jobs. I have personally laid off 40 people in the last 12 months with their positions moving to another state.

How many businesses have left California? This report claims to have an answer
Aside from your entire post being bizarre, as pointed out by others, where do you get that the younger generation thinks states rights are crap? Real question. Curious.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:43 PM

911 posts, read 590,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Secession will NEVER happen IMO. A second Civil War is a real possibility. If that happens the population in North America will be reduced by about 50%. This Civil War may be seen as an opportunity by other powers in the World to invade. That would almost inevitably lead to a World Wide Nuclear War.
The MEEK Shall inherit the Earth may end up being true.
Another Red Dawn fantacist who hasnt bother to browse through the thread.

There are easy pickings for invasion all round the globe. Notice how rarely it happens? Know why?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:13 PM

280 posts, read 250,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Aside from your entire post being bizarre, as pointed out by others, where do you get that the younger generation thinks states rights are crap? Real question. Curious.
I will admit that I cannot cite a source but referencing personal conversations with other professionals in their mid 30s. This is a pretty wide spectrum of individuals from tree-hugging hippies to gun shooting conservatives and not one of them have said that states rights are important to a modern society. This is one of the reasons why other centrally controlled governments are able to pass us.

We have watched our government do nothing of use in the last 20 years and pretty pissed that they continue to squabble over the same crap. We fight useless wars and dump money into the same pockets with no progress. For example, if the left agrees to leave the 2nd amendment alone then the right should leave Roe v Wade and the right to choose alone. From there we can stop fighting over the same issues.

In regards, to one ruler ...

Why would I trade 1 tyrant 3,000 miles away with 3,000 tyrants 1 mile away? An elected assembly can trample a man's right as much as a king. This is the irony of democracy. - The Patriot

My point is that 50 government programs all doing the same thing is not efficient.

In regards to the loss of jobs in CA, the states aren't competing equally. As was noted, CA only gets 80 cents back that it sends to the federal government. If every state got the same amount back, then it would be a fair playing field. In stead, CA is subsidizing the other states.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
The single most ridiculous post I have ever seen on City data. This sounds like the soviet union and nazi germany to me this idea. No self determination. Basically One Ring to Rule Them All. Mordor. Dictatorships operate like that. That goes against the idea of CalExit AND against the idea of federalism.

The USA by the way (Thank The Lord) is not a mob pure democracy. It is a federal republic. The states represent the people. If you live in Town X do you want Town Y to come in and overrule what your values are?

And the idea of laying off positions to another state. That sounds like the beauty of interstate commerce. May the best state win. We are all on the same team in theory. I'm glad its not losing jobs to Mexico and China.
Even the USSR wasn't this bad as it too was a federation with local governments. You're right though that the US was designed to get away from that type of rule and other countries that are republics followed suit, at least as far as being federal is concerned.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
I think they just made that up. Millennials often seem particularly annoyed at distant governments and seem to favor more local everything and the current secessionists are often Gen-xers or Millennials.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I will admit that I cannot cite a source but referencing personal conversations with other professionals in their mid 30s. This is a pretty wide spectrum of individuals from tree-hugging hippies to gun shooting conservatives and not one of them have said that states rights are important to a modern society. This is one of the reasons why other centrally controlled governments are able to pass us.

We have watched our government do nothing of use in the last 20 years and pretty pissed that they continue to squabble over the same crap. We fight useless wars and dump money into the same pockets with no progress. For example, if the left agrees to leave the 2nd amendment alone then the right should leave Roe v Wade and the right to choose alone. From there we can stop fighting over the same issues.

In regards, to one ruler ...

Why would I trade 1 tyrant 3,000 miles away with 3,000 tyrants 1 mile away? An elected assembly can trample a man's right as much as a king. This is the irony of democracy. - The Patriot

My point is that 50 government programs all doing the same thing is not efficient.

In regards to the loss of jobs in CA, the states aren't competing equally. As was noted, CA only gets 80 cents back that it sends to the federal government. If every state got the same amount back, then it would be a fair playing field. In stead, CA is subsidizing the other states.
LOL Your post goes from pro central government to a paragraph that changes topics like it has A.D.D. to tyrants and democracy to an incorrect assessment of 50 governments to a valid point Calexit supporters have been saying all along. There was something in there about a king and a patriot too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California