Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I just want to find out all about Eureka. The latest thread is all about people insulting each other. A waste of time.

Maybe we can have a thread about people's impressions. How about the area around 5th and H street where the post office is.
My impression of Eureka is sadness. I'm sad it could be so nice, and yet it's not. I'm sad it's covered with homeless people. I'm sad it's got beautiful old buildings that aren't being cared for and are falling into moldy ruin. I'm sad the majority of the population is high on pot and too stoned to paint their homes.

My impression of Eureka is that it really disappointed me. I wish it well, but don't intend to ever go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
No More Snow's impression of Eureka is FAR removed from reality. I don't believe she has ever lived here.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
No More Snow's impression of Eureka is FAR removed from reality. I don't believe she has ever lived here.
No, I never lived there and never intend to. But, I've gone there since moving to Crescent City, for business, medical reasons and shopping. I now go the other direction to Grants Pass instead, because I really, really dislike Arcata and Eureka for all the reasons I mentioned above. My impressions - which the OP asked for - are based on actually going there and forming impressions on numerous occasions.

I also went through Eureka and Arcata right out of high school around 1975 or so. My memory of it back then (while, granted, often high on hash or pot), was that it was a really cool university town (Arcata) and there were really nice old Victorians.

Coming back just a couple years ago, it looks like nobody has done any upkeep on anything since 1975. And it is absolutely crawling with homeless people, and high bohemian types of white kids with unwashed dreadlocks walking pit bulls everywhere.

The newspaper office I went into on a trip I made with the idea of maybe moving there just this last year, had newspapers filled with articles about the marijuana industry.

As I said, it made me sad. It got stuck in the 1960's revolution and never got rehab. Creepy and sad.

But, you are entitled to your impressions, and I'm entitled to mine.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 01-21-2017 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 10:22 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
[quote=boulder2015;46879174]Not going to insult anyone... just the truth. 5th and h is basically downtown, hence way to close to the "zombie tweaker" zone. If you like the "walking dead", you will like that area. If you are not fond of tweakers, then you will not like the area. Also to me, one of the main reasons to move to humboldt would be the nature. Why live in downtown eureka when you could live in a pretty rural area nearby and commute in?

I asked about 5th and H because I saw that old post office building is for sale. I know the roof is in bad shape but it certainly looked interesting. Do you know it?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:12 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
So ... start a new thread, ask what you want! (Instead of starting a new thread that says "Maybe we can have ...")

Old 01-22-2017, 03:46 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Born and raised in Northern and Central California... but have never been to Eureka. Its just not on the way to anywhere.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
[quote=WestGuest;46912611]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Not going to insult anyone... just the truth. 5th and h is basically downtown, hence way to close to the "zombie tweaker" zone. If you like the "walking dead", you will like that area. If you are not fond of tweakers, then you will not like the area. Also to me, one of the main reasons to move to humboldt would be the nature. Why live in downtown eureka when you could live in a pretty rural area nearby and commute in?

I asked about 5th and H because I saw that old post office building is for sale. I know the roof is in bad shape but it certainly looked interesting. Do you know it?
The old PO is for sale for less than $1M but needs extensive retrofitting. On the other hand they have a solid-gold tenant. IF you are seriously interested in Eureka why not come up and see for yourself ? It is absolutely true that few people live in downtown Eureka. If you want to see the community you have to get more than two blocks away from the freeway.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Yes of course, but what kind of businesses would locate there? It's so far from everything location-wise for any large corporations, and already prices have fallen about 50% in the cannabis trade, so the growers are hurting.
Eureka, with all its charm will never be a first rate city. When the timber industry took a hit, so did the area. there just isn't much to draw business to the community.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, I never lived there and never intend to. But, I've gone there since moving to Crescent City, for business, medical reasons and shopping. I now go the other direction to Grants Pass instead, because I really, really dislike Arcata and Eureka for all the reasons I mentioned above. My impressions - which the OP asked for - are based on actually going there and forming impressions on numerous occasions.

I also went through Eureka and Arcata right out of high school around 1975 or so. My memory of it back then (while, granted, often high on hash or pot), was that it was a really cool university town (Arcata) and there were really nice old Victorians.

Coming back just a couple years ago, it looks like nobody has done any upkeep on anything since 1975. And it is absolutely crawling with homeless people, and high bohemian types of white kids with unwashed dreadlocks walking pit bulls everywhere.

The newspaper office I went into on a trip I made with the idea of maybe moving there just this last year, had newspapers filled with articles about the marijuana industry.

As I said, it made me sad. It got stuck in the 1960's revolution and never got rehab. Creepy and sad.

But, you are entitled to your impressions, and I'm entitled to mine.
everyone is entitled to their impressions, you are right, but driving through and spending time in a region isn't the same. WE did live there for about a year back in the late 70s. We thought it would be great to live in a small town, removed from any metro area. We thought it would be a positive experience for our 3 kids. We had been warned we would get tired of it and we didn't listen. Yes, the old victorian homes are great, we had one, yes the area is very laid back, but for many it isn't what it appears to be.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
As the old saying goes..."It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." I've been to Eureka and Humboldt County on business on more than just a few occasions. It certainly has potential; a diamond in the rough. It's a beautiful setting with the feel of a larger city (think of Portland in miniature). Arcata reminds me of Berkeley in miniature. Yes the Victorians are nice, but its remote location and underground economy pose challenges for any future sustainable development. Eureka's population has remained stagnant for years. They don't call it the "Redwood Curtain" for nothing.

About six years ago, I spent a week conducting passenger surveys on the local transit systems in Humboldt County, which gave me good perspective of the locals. I noticed lots of transients and tweekers as I rode the buses between Trinidad and Fortuna. Nevertheless, there were also lots of students who attended Humboldt State University and College of the Redwoods. Despite having these colleges in the area, there is a huge brain drain due to insufficient employment opportunities. In addition to the passenger surveys, my work has also involved conducting performance audits of the local transit agencies. One of the challenges has been finding qualified drivers who are able to pass drug and alcohol screenings.

While I wouldn't mind visiting the region, Eureka and Humboldt probably wouldn't be a good fit for me to live IMHO.

Last edited by sacreole; 01-23-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California