Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times

Advertisements

I just want to find out all about Eureka. The latest thread is all about people insulting each other. A waste of time.

Maybe we can have a thread about people's impressions. How about the area around 5th and H street where the post office is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
We have had innumerable threads about Humboldt/Eureka. Check them out. The problem is that you're not willing to accept the answers people give you. Eureka is not for everyone.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Eureka and the Humboldt County area may be on the cusp of a big change, since a (or "the") major economic underpinning of the area has been the underground cannabis trade, and now that cannabis has been legalized, the economy could go either way. Should be interesting.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Eureka and the Humboldt County area may be on the cusp of a big change, since a (or "the") major economic underpinning of the area has been the underground cannabis trade, and now that cannabis has been legalized, the economy could go either way. Should be interesting.
It might be nice to have a few legitimate business move into the area.
Ya think?

Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ya think?
Yes of course, but what kind of businesses would locate there? It's so far from everything location-wise for any large corporations, and already prices have fallen about 50% in the cannabis trade, so the growers are hurting.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ya think?
Yes of course, but what kind of businesses would locate there? It's so far from everything location-wise for any large corporations, and already prices have fallen about 50% in the cannabis trade, so the growers are hurting.

And I should add, marijuana IS a "legitimate business" now.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I know--it was more along the lines of wishful thinking, but it seems like there's a fair amount of interest in the area; we've been getting a trickle of inquiries, so there must be more people loving there who never post here. I find that interesting. Small businesses could locate there, not big corporations.... IDK, it's something to think about.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
We have had innumerable threads about Humboldt/Eureka. Check them out. The problem is that you're not willing to accept the answers people give you. Eureka is not for everyone.

What the hell are you talking about? I am only curious - I can accept that its a hell hole or a nice place.

Read the last thread- the first few pages were people insulting each other. Other threads are a bit dated.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I just want to find out all about Eureka. The latest thread is all about people insulting each other. A waste of time.

Maybe we can have a thread about people's impressions. How about the area around 5th and H street where the post office is.
Not going to insult anyone... just the truth. 5th and h is basically downtown, hence way to close to the "zombie tweaker" zone. If you like the "walking dead", you will like that area. If you are not fond of tweakers, then you will not like the area. Also to me, one of the main reasons to move to humboldt would be the nature. Why live in downtown eureka when you could live in a pretty rural area nearby and commute in?

Eureka has lots of potential, which is why i think people ask about it, as well as being cheap. But potential is worthless if never lived up to. That is eureka. Despite the improvements to downtown, it is still a bleak and depressing place. Few businesses, big or small, have any reason to relocate there. The more suburban areas are decent, but i cant imagine why anyone would want to live near the city center. Few big employers, no big airport, horrible roads to get to any larger towns, economy based on a struggling logging biz and organized crime. Many of the downtown shops operate solely as tax dodges for growers. Well see how that changes with legalization.

Dont get me wrong: there are a lot of positives as well. The trees, the ocean, the bay, outdoor sports, college activities up in arcata, some good breweries, worlds best weed, lots of nice and honest people. But a lot of the things that are good about it can be found in better towns in wa or or that are closer to the amenities of bigger cities.

I think califormians looking to escape the big metros get blinded when they see how much lower the housing costs are for coastal places, but dont want to hear the REASONS for said cheapness.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Good luck getting 101 upgraded to true freeway the entire distance from Cloverdale to Eureka. Without that, it will be a backwater forever.

And that would merely be the first step.

Got rail?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California