Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 08:01 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How about cutting pay. Now that would be the thing to do. Instead of increasing taxes cut the pay of all state employees. Give them a 10% cut.

In my city alone the highest paid employees are Police and Fire. We are talking $300,000 plus incomes for these officers. That is insane. Many of these officers and Fire fighters put in a lot of overtime to get that pay. I get that.

Interesting thing is that the not for profit hospital that I work for, non government owned hospital had a similar issue with RN's racking up a lot of overtime. What did we do? We hired more RN's.

For all new employees do not offer the same retirement incentive that everyone else is getting.

What we need is a Conservative in office. We need to vote out any one in office that agrees with taxing and spending our money. We need to cut the cost of Government. Stop run away spending.

Its like that high speed rail project. That needs to be dropped. The price keeps going up and no one will be riding it. I don't know anyone that lives near it. How does it help anyone in the large metropolitan areas?
San Jose tried cutting Police wages and retirement and lost about 40% of their police force, it's a competitive market. Hiring and training Police Officers isn't something that can happen overnight

A conservative in office can't make cops work for less than they are willing to work for.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Only a question...

Many of my friends were Career Law Enforcement and my uncle died in the line of duty...

I remember many being elated sometime back that Calpers was boosting retirement and they were elated and the reason was Calpers had done such a good job managing that there was a surplus...

I know one officer that decided to retire early based on this boost.

My question is this was not something he was expecting or negotiated... and came as a complete surprise... every LEO I knew absolutely loved Calpers... and openly said so...

What happened?

Even a guy I went to school with retired with 180k Oakland police pensions in his early 50's... right into the academy after 2 year admin of justice degrees.. around age 20 1/2 with many doing similar but with smaller pensions.
I dated a guy a few times that was a cop in a very small LA area. He hated his commanding officer and thought he was on the take. One night at the station he had a mental breakdown and ripped off his uniform and collapsed. He went on immediate disability and 6 months later was "retired" with full pension. This guy was 30 years old and never has to work again. Needless to say I never dated him again.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where in the Constitution does it talk about taxation without representation? It may be counter-Revolutionary, but I don't think it's unconstitutional. But maybe I missed something...
I don't know about it being found unconstitutional, but I found that applicable law
Source Tax Law
On Jan. 10, 1996, P.L. 104-95 took effect. This federal law prohibits any state from taxing pension income of non-residents, even if the pension was earned within the state. Before the passage of this law, California, New York and several other states maintained a source tax on pension earned within the state. For example, a California teacher who retired to Nevada would have to continue paying the source tax on her California pension. Thanks to this law, people who earn a pension in California then move out of the state no longer have to pay taxes on these funds to California.
Is California Pension Income Taxable Outside California? | Finance - Zacks

Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 PM

787 posts, read 643,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I dated a guy a few times that was a cop in a very small LA area. He hated his commanding officer and thought he was on the take. One night at the station he had a mental breakdown and ripped off his uniform and collapsed. He went on immediate disability and 6 months later was "retired" with full pension. This guy was 30 years old and never has to work again. Needless to say I never dated him again.
And good riddance. I sure as heck wouldn't want to date someone who is so judgemental and intolerant of my life and career choices.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Jer Bear is so F*cking stupid he missed a 1.5 billion rounding error and we expect this stoner to fix anything really?

California Governor Jerry Brown Admits To $1.5 Billion "Math Error" In State Budget | Zero Hedge

Old 01-19-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Jer Bear is so F*cking stupid he missed a 1.5 billion rounding error and we expect this stoner to fix anything really?

California Governor Jerry Brown Admits To $1.5 Billion "Math Error" In State Budget | Zero Hedge
Does Jerry Brown smoke pot?

That is embarassing, and unacceptable, all jokes aside.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
And good riddance. I sure as heck wouldn't want to date someone who is so judgemental and intolerant of my life and career choices.
What career?? He rode his bike and built model airplanes all day.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finper View Post
what career?? He rode his bike and built model airplanes all day.
lol

Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Does Jerry Brown smoke pot?

That is embarassing, and unacceptable, all jokes aside.
He owns/owned one of the largest dispensaries in Oakland and fully supports it. I support it but not for government officials making really bad decisions with bullet trains to nowhere.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 PM

711 posts, read 687,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
He owns/owned one of the largest dispensaries in Oakland and fully supports it. I support it but not for government officials making really bad decisions with bullet trains to nowhere.
I doubt this. At least that he currently has any ownership interest. That would be a pretty hideous conflict of interest and I would think it would have been far more newsworthy than a blip post on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California