Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
And so you decided to move to another state and mooch and live on the streets? Why not get a spot in an rv park like anybody else? Sorry, cali is full up on people living in their vehicles.
my thoughts exactly. Living in an RV, is fine, living in an RV on city streets or in parking lots is not fine. Thee are many nice, inexpensive RV parks close to most cities. You say you have a job, I assume you will be driving the RV back and forth to work I am trying to understand how you are going to live cheaper in an RV with the cost of gas you will eat driving a gas guzzler around daily?

Just read OPs other postings, sounds like she has never even been to CA. OP, if you read this, why the desire to move to an area you sound like you are not familiar with and what happened to your plan to buy some land?

Last edited by nmnita; 01-25-2017 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There are several good RV guides including the ones you get free by joining AAA or you can purchase them at any AAA office. Also look for guides sold at RV dealers and RV repair centers such as Camping World.

Hey it was fun living in an RV for a while. It got old after the 2nd year. After the 3rd year I went bonkers. And I stayed in nice places.
yep,brother did it for about a year or so as well and had a ball the first 6 or so months. He did live in an RV park though; it was in northern CA, I think just outside of Redding.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my thoughts exactly. Living in an RV, is fine, living in an RV on city streets or in parking lots is not fine. Thee are many nice, inexpensive RV parks close to most cities. You say you have a job, I assume you will be driving the RV back and forth to work I am trying to understand how you are going to live cheaper in an RV with the cost of gas you will eat driving a gas guzzler around daily?

Just read OPs other postings, sounds like she has never even been to CA. OP, if you read this, why the desire to move to an area you sound like you are not familiar with and what happened to your plan to buy some land?
Exactly. Also note: this is NOT the sacramento forum. I bet the takes would be VERY different from sac locals. Many of them would likely mock the idea of a single lady in her 20s living alone on the streets of sac. The areas that are least likely to report her would be the most dangeous parts of the city. If you have money to put up solar panels, internet, tv, AND buy a mercedes rv from your "small" trust fund AND have a job, you have enough money to get in a park and stay on the good side of the law as well as not getting jacked by criminals. In all seriousness you really should open a new thread in the sac forum, where it should have been in the first place. There you will get undiluted advice from actual LOCALS instead of the opinions of the homeless rv enthusiasts you have attracted to this thread. They are giving you HORRIBLE advice and suggesting you break the law in a town you know nothing about.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:13 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That's a temporary solution. 30 day maximum stay.
Reading comprehension: here, I will clarify for you: I clearly state to try an RV park initially.
Hope that helps you.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:14 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:

The price of gas is much cheaper than the price of rents most anywhere in California. The price of gas would probably be $200, maybe $300 a month. I don't think you can rent even a small shared room for that price. Add in insurance and vehicle maintenance and it would still be cheaper than renting. And then you would still have to have a car to commute to work, which would still need gas, in addition to paying for rent.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 01-25-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-25-2017, 07:19 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Reading comprehension: here, I will clarify for you: I clearly state to try an RV park initially.
Hope that helps you.
OK thanks. In that case I agree. It might also be a good place for her to use occasionally, when she needs utility hookups.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The price of gas is much cheaper than the price of rents most anywhere in California. The price of gas would probably be $200, maybe $300 a month. I don't think you can rent even a small shared room for that price. Add in insurance and vehicle maintenance and it would still be cheaper than renting. And then you would still have to have a car to commute to work, which would still need gas, in addition to paying for rent.
this is true, but she is exchanging safety and inconvenience for the saving of a few $$s and doesn't even know the area. It sorta appears she just wants to have a new adventure. That is fine. Still she needs to realize living in a walmart parking lot or on the street isn't what most 20 something women do. BTW I didn't suggest she rent an apartment or a room, I suggested she check into RV parks.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
If I had my job, working at a hospital healthcare campus, and I was single, I would not have a problem living in a motor home.

Here is what I would do though.

1. Get a membership at a 24 hour fitness place. This is where you will shower each day.

2. Try never to use the toilet on the motor home. You have to dump that thing which is one of the problems people in LA have had with those living in a motor home, illegal dumping. Just letting all that human waste try to get down the gutter or drain somewhere. Note: You can find plenty of legal places to dump.

3. Move your home around. You can camp in many places along the coast. On the weekends the PCH is full of campers enjoying the coastline.

4. Since I work at a hospital and it is open 24 hours it is easy to have a small motorhome on site, as I said, just move it a lot. Not sure where you will be working but you may want to scope out the area. Maybe even let someone know your idea to live in a motor home.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM

36 posts, read 30,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
A quick search of Sacto rv parks shows Cal Expo Park at $650.00 for a month. Includes wifi and basics.
Do a search of Sacramento rv parks and you will find many. I urge you to go this route at least initially until you get a better feel for the area. Your personal safety is first. You have a nice upscale unit and only yourself and you may attract some unwanted attention.
It be more of a commute than you want but Placerville is an attractive foothill community outside of Sacto, if you like a more rural setting.
Welcome to California and be safe!
That's not too bad. Yeah that might be my new plan then. Thank you for the info.🙂

Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 PM

36 posts, read 30,125 times
Quote:

Just alway wanted to live in California. The weather, the beaches, its progressive, lots of cultures, the mountains, lots of technology I now have an engineering degree and I have a job offer. So yeah I'm getting ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California