Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 12:14 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times

Advertisements

I would not move further south than SLO if you don't want congestion. We moved to north SLO County and thought we would have a hard time making friends, having things to do, etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have made more (and better) friends than we ever thought possible. There is always something to do. CalPoly offers a lot of cultural activities and there are great concerts at Vina Robles Amphitheater. If you are at all into wine, you will love all the wineries here (about 300). We are wine club members at several wineries and enjoy all kinds of wine events. SLO has a small airport but it is an easy drive to San Jose, which is a great airport. Santa Barbara is also only 2 hours away and we go there often for shopping, concerts, etc. We also go up Hwy 1 and camp and hike in the Big Sur area (also only 2 hours away).

SLO has a newcomers club that you might look into. We met a lot of people through the North County Newcomers Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 12:38 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
I would not move further south than SLO if you don't want congestion. We moved to north SLO County and thought we would have a hard time making friends, having things to do, etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have made more (and better) friends than we ever thought possible. There is always something to do. CalPoly offers a lot of cultural activities and there are great concerts at Vina Robles Amphitheater. If you are at all into wine, you will love all the wineries here (about 300). We are wine club members at several wineries and enjoy all kinds of wine events. SLO has a small airport but it is an easy drive to San Jose, which is a great airport. Santa Barbara is also only 2 hours away and we go there often for shopping, concerts, etc. We also go up Hwy 1 and camp and hike in the Big Sur area (also only 2 hours away).

SLO has a newcomers club that you might look into. We met a lot of people through the North County Newcomers Club.
Great input from a SLO local, AustinTraveler!

Derek

Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Great input from a SLO local, AustinTraveler!

Derek
Tried to rep you but apparently I've done that too often. Thank you!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
I would not move further south than SLO if you don't want congestion.
Sorry, but I don't think Santa Barbara County or Ventura County qualify as "congested." Going south from SLO County, the population doubles with each county---loosely, SLO County 200+k, SB County 400+k, VC County 800+k---but even VC has 10 cities for its 800+ population count, and some cities barely qualify as cities (Ojai, Port Hueneme) and are really spread out from each other (nothing but hills between Camarillo and Thousand Oaks). OP is coming from a highly urbanized area. No city in the 3 counties is even remotely congested like Portland. There is barely a high-rise building to be seen anywhere, and only Santa Barbara and the City of Ventura have a downtown.

A few years ago I had a job that took me from Thousand Oaks to Santa Maria--116 miles, going through all three counties---and it took me 1 hr 50 minutes. Never hit traffic jams, some slowing in afternoon rush through Santa Barbara, but no stopping. Hardly "congested." I go up north regularly to this day. Not much has changed. In fact, VC has such severe growth restrictions in place now until 2050 (SOAR Measure C passed this past election) that I expect little population growth.

It is a very common misperception by SoCal people that everything north of L.A. County is out in the sticks. It is a similar misperception by Central Cal people that everything south of, or including, Santa Barbara is "L.A."

Old 02-04-2017, 06:16 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
What about Santa Barbara?
Santa Barbara is far more expensive than SLO, though. Can't imagine moving from Portland to S.B. on a fixed income.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't think Santa Barbara County or Ventura County qualify as "congested." Going south from SLO County, the population doubles with each county---loosely, SLO County 200+k, SB County 400+k, VC County 800+k---but even VC has 10 cities for its 800+ population count, and some cities barely qualify as cities (Ojai, Port Hueneme) and are really spread out from each other (nothing but hills between Camarillo and Thousand Oaks). OP is coming from a highly urbanized area. No city in the 3 counties is even remotely congested like Portland. There is barely a high-rise building to be seen anywhere, and only Santa Barbara and the City of Ventura have a downtown.

A few years ago I had a job that took me from Thousand Oaks to Santa Maria--116 miles, going through all three counties---and it took me 1 hr 50 minutes. Never hit traffic jams, some slowing in afternoon rush through Santa Barbara, but no stopping. Hardly "congested." I go up north regularly to this day. Not much has changed. In fact, VC has such severe growth restrictions in place now until 2050 (SOAR Measure C passed this past election) that I expect little population growth.

It is a very common misperception by SoCal people that everything north of L.A. County is out in the sticks. It is a similar misperception by Central Cal people that everything south of, or including, Santa Barbara is "L.A."
Nightlysparrow,

Why not make some 'specific' recommendations with some of things the OP is looking for? I had thought about some cities in SoCal as well. But I'm just not sure that would be what they are looking for. Maybe Camarillo, possibly? I don't know. The town of Ventura itself has always been a bit underwhelming, though good for a quick stop on the way to somewhere else. Many others seem to be commuter towns (urban sprawl) to larger urban areas where most people actually work. I'm from SoCal (LA County) and have visited the majority of those places on many trips south to visit family. We also have family from Ojai which is a 'very' small but quaint little town. There are pros/cons with all these places. I do think the closer one gets to LA the more its traffic, associated crowds, billboards, etc... rear their ugly head. Typically things start getting really bad once one hits the SFV. But I've seen it jam up before as close as Oxnard. That said, it wouldn't hurt to check a few of them out. Everyone has their preferences.

Derek

Old 02-04-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Nightlysparrow, Why not make some 'specific' recommendations with some of things the OP is looking for?
Ok, did mention Santa Barbara and Ventura. That being said, I'm no fan of the limited medical facilities in SB; medical is much better in Ventura. SB requires the changing planes thing for travel; Ventura is 65 miles to LAX. Both cities are their county's seat; both have homeless populations; SB has very limited mental health services, so many are floridly and visibly mentally ill; Ventura has expansive mental health and 2 psych hospitals right in town, so Ventura's homeless get treatment. However, SB has a lot more culture, class, a lot of millionaires, is prettier. Ventura is more middle class, surfer, casual. Ventura's downtown is more fun, more clubs and bars.

The OP said that the homeless population was one of the things they wanted to get away from; they would be in their 70's; they don't tolerate cold; they are tired of dreary weather. Personally, I think any coastal city north of SB is frequently chilly and often foggy; the summers in SB and Ventura are sunny, but perpetually windy. A hot day there is 75 degrees.

Nevertheless, suggest eastern Ventura County for them (specifically because )(and specifically sleepy, laid-back Thousand Oaks)

Warm and sunny most of the time, rarely foggy or dreary. Summers mostly high 80's-low 90's, almost no humidity
Ready access to unspoiled nature, hiking trails galore, 12 miles to ocean
Lovely modern senior center, and city has made senior concerns a priority
Killer modern library only for TO residents
Dial-a-Ride for seniors over 65 is $3 each way, or just drive a few miles, nothing's far away and there is hardly any traffic in town
Close enough to LA for whatever they want/need---world-class medical (although TO has excellent medical), international airport, the best of US culture, etc.
Super-low crime, responsive fire and police, anti-graffiti squad
No billboards, strict code enforcement, limited growth, FiOS internet, underground utilities
Lots of activities, adult school, recreation department events, Civic Center, gardens
Every type of shopping and restaurants without ever needing to leave, multiple malls, farmer's market weekly, 2 audio specialty stores

But both SB and Ventura are actually cities by the usual measures, whereas TO isn't. Not at all. Possible culture shock from Portland? Then again, maybe not.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Every time I go to Santa Barbara I encounter stand-still traffic. The last time was this Friday, yes, yesterday. It was 10 a.m. and we were headed back to SLO from a very early appointment in SB. My husband said, "I sure don't miss rush-hour traffic." I said, "Especially at 10 a.m.!" I don't know if you are just lucky or if you are just not in SB very much, but traffic is definitely an issue. What else is an issue is housing prices. The OP will definitely get a nicer home for their budget (I am assuming $900K, which is very generous) in SLO County than in Santa Barbara or further south.

And, for the record, I have lived in S. California and I would never consider Santa Barbara as L.A., but I am realistic enough to consider it out of the criteria the OP asked for.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Every time I go to Santa Barbara I encounter stand-still traffic.
I have lived in S. California and I would never consider Santa Barbara as L.A.
I hear you. Traffic, however is relative to the observer's tolerance. Where I live traffic would perhaps seem heavy by SLO standards, but to my LA friends who come up, they rave about how light it seems on the freeway and how empty the streets are.

BTW, I have to ask: Do you consider SB to be in SoCal or Central Cal? Just curious for the SLO perspective.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:01 PM

The funny thing with Santa Barbara is that the county is huge! My FIL lives in SB County in Santa Maria which is closer to SLO than the city of SB. From a geographical, cultural and weather pattern perspective, I think of northern SB county as Central CA. However once in the city of Santa Barbara, I definitely consider that SoCal. Although very different from the LA/OC/SD concrete jungle, Santa Barbara does have a SoCal feel in many regards though it tries hard not to. Its like the outer reaches of that SoCal lifestyle. There is some debate over where the Southland ends along the coast. Some have suggested Point Conception which is an obvious geographic separator. However, there's not much up there until one heads south to Santa Barbara which is the first city of significance.

Interestingly CA's official site says the "The California South Coast region extends from Ventura County to the Mexican Border and includes the counties of Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego." -- http://scc.ca.gov/projects/south-coast/

So Santa Barbara could also claim succession from SoCal using this as evidence.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-04-2017 at 11:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California