Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:56 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,935,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
2 Investigates obtained Zhang’s timecard data and plotted it out over the calendar year. The results showed that BART paid Zhang every single day in 2015. Most days he worked overtime, clocking in about 17 hours of work.
Hmm, that's interesting, 17 hours a day working, 365 days a year!? How can someone work that many hours and days straight? When does he sleep, eat, or shower?

Quote:
A BART janitor in San Francisco who raked in $271,000 in a single year, based largely on overtime work, was captured on video disappearing into a storage closet at one of the stops and—at times- spending hours a day there.

KTVU requested surveillance video to observe how Liang Zhao Zhang would spend his marathon, 17-hour work day. At one point, the channel reported that Zhang entered the closet twice in one shift, once for 54 minutes and the other for 90 minutes.
Color me surprised. The guy worked a normal 8 hour schedule, then he made up his sleep hours on TAXPAYER DIME working "over time". This is what California tax payer dollars are going towards, under tacit "wink wink" cooperation between unions and the CA DNC.

BART janitor's $270K pay raises questions: 2 Investigates | KTVU

Cameras reportedly catch BART janitor who pulled in $270,000 in year spending hours in closet | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM

787 posts, read 636,501 times
I'm over here changing the way companies do business, and earning just over 100k, and this dude mops floors for over 200k?

Where did I go wrong in life?

Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
I'm over here changing the way companies do business, and earning just over 100k, and this dude mops floors for over 200k?

Where did I go wrong in life?
I give this guy credit. He game'd the system as best as he could.

I remember when this story popped up last year, and the whole CA union debate sprung up, all these people in the Bay Area sub-forum were defending this dude.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:08 PM

711 posts, read 681,939 times
I'm not defending the guy. There IS no defense for this. But it does beg the question of why the BART Board of Directors refuses to investigate.

BART's problems go deeper than this. This article captures just a few I think. You can't place blame on the Unions for all of these issues.

BART's janitor problem is a symptom

Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM

787 posts, read 636,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I give this guy credit. He game'd the system as best as he could.

I remember when this story popped up last year, and the whole CA union debate sprung up, all these people in the Bay Area sub-forum were defending this dude.
Amen.

I wasn't on these boards last year, was wondering where all the sensitivity regarding unions came from.

I read the article and this guys superiors are defending him and saying he's one of their best employees. Laughing all the way to the bank, and good for him. People will complain about his "naps" in the closet but what I see is an underpaid guy dealing with unspeakable stuff in Powell BART station. "Get another job" isn't the point. Janitors shouldn't have to be picking up after bums this often, it's a societal problem and not one this janitor needs to be paying for.

If you need to game the system to get ahead, do so.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:36 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,255,058 times
BART still employs their own janitor? Management never thought of reducing personnel cost by subcontracting janitorial services?

janitorial services must be a core service of BART they don't want to subcontract it

Old 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,167,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Hmm, that's interesting, 17 hours a day working, 365 days a year!? How can someone work that many hours and days straight? When does he sleep, eat, or shower?

Color me surprised. The guy worked a normal 8 hour schedule, then he made up his sleep hours on TAXPAYER DIME working "over time". This is what California tax payer dollars are going towards, under tacit "wink wink" cooperation between unions and the CA DNC.

BART janitor's $270K pay raises questions: 2 Investigates | KTVU

Cameras reportedly catch BART janitor who pulled in $270,000 in year spending hours in closet | Fox News

So he worked 14.5 hours that day including lunch and break??

That's still a lot of freaking work hours.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:48 PM

8,841 posts, read 11,630,153 times
With much of the tax money going into the pockets of public unions and their politicians, no wonder programs that need money never have enough.

Some people say the rich control this country. I say public employees control this country. They make and enforce the rules -- rules that line their pocket with your hard-earned money.

They appear to answer to no one.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So he worked 14.5 hours that day including lunch and break??

That's still a lot of freaking work hours.

It's not when you're getting paid for 17.

Also no one knows how frequent these breaks were, and how many times a day they occurred (yet). These are just the times KTVU found from reviewing the tapes they do have. He could have been taking 8 hours of rest during a "17 hour day".

Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,240,127 times
People here must have never owned their own business or had to work two jobs saying it's impossible to work 17 hour days, lol.

With that being said it does sound ridiculous that he's making that much and it should be looked into.

Could I do with out the scapegoating, sure.

I'm on Transparent California too, you can see how little I am and was being paid by the State, but no one wants to know about the vast majority of people employed by state/local govts who make a "normal" amount of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California