Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Salary? Or hourly wages?
As an employee, I'd rather be paid hourly. 6 22.22%
As an employer, I'd rather pay hourly. 1 3.70%
As an employee, I'd rather earn a salary. 18 66.67%
As an employer, Id rather pay a salary. 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 PM

787 posts, read 644,303 times

Advertisements

This is always a fun topic in my opinion, so let's here thoughts on this. Which is better and why? If you're a SBO and have never earned either, I guess let us know which route you would go with your employees, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
I voted as an employee a salary is better, but it isn't without qualification. I spend A LOT of hours at work as an attorney. But I hated having to account for every moment of my time. I prefer the idea of being evalutated for my general producton and hated having to account for very minute of my time. At the sametime, however, I feel I am taken advantgae of since I know I put in more (insome cases way more) than 40 hours per week.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
I pay a salary and that is for the base hours. If they work overtime the get overtime pay.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I pay a salary and that is for the base hours. If they work overtime the get overtime pay.
Best of both worlds then. I had a position that did this as well at one point but moved on from that firm. If I remember correctly, there are some stipulations, I think there is a limit to the base salary in CA, I could be wrong though.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Best of both worlds then. I had a position that did this as well at one point but moved on from that firm. If I remember correctly, there are some stipulations, I think there is a limit to the base salary in CA, I could be wrong though.
My base salary is above any lower limit they have. It is definitely a living wage for the employees. Then there are year end bonuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I voted as an employee a salary is better, but it isn't without qualification. I spend A LOT of hours at work as an attorney. But I hated having to account for every moment of my time. I prefer the idea of being evalutated for my general producton and hated having to account for very minute of my time. At the sametime, however, I feel I am taken advantgae of since I know I put in more (insome cases way more) than 40 hours per week.
Thanks for sharing.

I agree about the notion that as salary earners we can get taken advantage of if we must go above 4-50 hours a week consistently.

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I didn't notice this was in the California forum until after I voted. Not sure if it's really state-specific but in any case, I greatly prefer being salaried. I get paid for the work I produce, not the hours I work, and I have a lot of flexibility to come and go as needed, as long as the work is getting done. Mutual respect on both sides works wonders.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I didn't notice this was in the California forum until after I voted. Not sure if it's really state-specific but in any case, I greatly prefer being salaried. I get paid for the work I produce, not the hours I work, and I have a lot of flexibility to come and go as needed, as long as the work is getting done. Mutual respect on both sides works wonders.
Yea, the second after I published the thread I wondered if it belonged in the employment section, or whatever it's called, lol. I did have my fellow CALI-fornians in mind but really it's for everyone, so I don't mind if the mods move it.

You make some great points!

Old 02-09-2017, 08:04 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
None of the above or more precisely it completely depends on each opportunity. For example, company A offers you a salary of $100K just for round numbers while company B offers you $65/hour. Which would be better? Well, the $65/hour sounds better on the surface until you factor in all the benefits included or not. Typically salaried position offers better benefit packages including 401K matching, stock options, bonuses, paid vacation, holiday and sick leave, better health plans with lower out of pocket monthly costs and sometimes overtime pay for certain surge efforts. Hourly jobs typically pay more with fewer benefits and that can equate to less when considering total overall compensation. In addition, hourly workers are typically considered short timer/less permanent workers versus staffers. So when there are cutbacks and layoffs they are the first to go.

The other side of that coin is the company that pays $100k and also expects employees to work 60-80 hours a week including weekends on a regular basis. Hello Silicon Valley and Bay Area companies! In that case, you may be earning quite a bit less when factoring in total hours worked for actual dollars earned. At 80 hours a week that's ~ $24/hour versus $65/hour. Maybe in that case its worth taking the hit on benefits and other perks including higher risk to simply take home more cash and then pay those things yourself. You just know going in that the gig is most likely for a limited time and when you take time off you don't get paid.

These are only two of the many different cases I've seen. There are more variations that must be accounted for assuming everything else is equal in terms of the actual work itself. And the later is not usually the case either. One may be more interesting or provide better opportunities for career growth, sometimes both. Its never just about the money. What if the works sucks? Then who cares about the money if you hate going to work every day? But since your survey only focuses on $$ assume all else is equal even though in reality it never is.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-09-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
None of the above or more precisely it completely depends on each opportunity. For example, company A offers you a salary of $100K just for round numbers while company B offers you $65/hour. Which would be better? Well, the $65/hour sounds better on the surface until you factor in all the benefits included or not. Typically salaried position offers better benefit packages including 401K matching, stock options, bonuses, better health plans with lower out of pocket monthly costs and sometimes overtime pay for certain surge efforts. Hourly jobs typically pay more with fewer benefits and that can equate to less when considering total overall compensation. In addition, hourly workers are typically considered short timer/less permanent workers versus staffers. So when there are cutbacks and layoffs they are the first to go.

The other side of that coin is the company that pays $100k and also expects employees to work 60-80 hours a week including weekends on a regular basis. Hello Silicon Valley and Bay Area companies! In that case, you may be earning quite a bit less when factoring in total hours worked for actual dollars earned. At 80 hours a week that's ~ $24/hour versus $65/hour. Maybe in that case its worth taking the hit on benefits and other perks including higher risk to simply take home more cash and then pay those things yourself. You just know going in that the gig is most likely for a limited time.

These are only two of the many different cases I've seen. There are more variations that must be accounted for assuming everything else is equal in terms of the actual work itself. And the later is not usually the case either. One may be more interesting or a provide better opportunities for career growth, sometimes both. Its never just about the money. What if the works sucks? Then who cares about the money if you hate going to work every day? But since your survey only focuses on $$ assume all else is equal even though in reality it never is.

Derek
Great points.

This is more or less what I wanted to hear, cases for both, and you're right, the devil is in the details.

Hopefully we get some input from people with work situations like the two you gave above so they can chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California