Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 AM

15 posts, read 82,259 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
so I am looking to move to southern california. I want to live near the beach. I'm a 26 year old female and am looking for artsy, liberal areas that have a decent music scene. I am looking for towns that haven't been completely taken over by chains and large corporations-mini malls, Panera Breads, Gaps and Starbucks. I don't care too much for family communities or large tourist attractions but would like a town that has some decent night life and other people my age. I would also like an area that is open to alternative health/diets-it's important that I live in a town that has a Whole Foods/Trader Joes or something similar-I'm not a vegetarian but I'm big on eating organic and use alot of soy and rice substitutes due to some food allergies. Lastly, it would be nice to be in a community that is more left wing, where the residents are politically and environmentally conscious. I know some of it sounds so petty, I'm just trying to give you an idea of the kind of person I am with the hope that it may be helpful in the kind of suggestions that you throw out. Any suggestions would be great. I've been told Ocean Beach and Hillcrest in San Diego, Ventura and Laguna Beach. Thanks for taking the time, I could use all the help I can get.

Last edited by Everleighdy81; 03-03-2008 at 01:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
East Arts District/Ocean Blvd area in Long Beach, Belmont Shore, Naples/Long Beach Marina/Alamitos Bay areas, Seal Beach, Surfside, Sunset Beach, Huntington Beach

They go down the coast in that order and there is a Trader Joes and Wild Oats between Naples and Seal in the Marina area. Music scene is in Long Beach(of which Belmont Shore and Naples are in) and Huntington, among others.

Laguna probably wouldn't fit your political desires as much as the areas I mentioned.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:25 AM

116 posts, read 612,247 times
Other than the beach...which is a big "other than"...Portland Oregon has everything you're looking for. Plus, lots of rain, trees, moss, and rivers.

Just an idea...

Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everleighdy81 View Post
I know some of it sounds so petty, I'm just trying to give you an idea of the kind of person I am with the hope that it may be helpful in the kind of suggestions that you throw out. Any suggestions would be great.
It doesn't sound petty. More information would probably help people fine tune responses to you.

What line of work are you in?
Where might you expect to work/school?
What is your rent budget or housing price range?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,312,690 times
You've got Venice Beach written all over you.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 PM

19 posts, read 115,210 times
That won't be hard really anywhere in Los Angeles.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM

19 posts, read 115,210 times
Alhambra. Need I say more.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:33 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everleighdy81 View Post
Hey all,
so I am looking to move to southern california. I want to live near the beach. I'm a 26 year old female and am looking for artsy, liberal areas that have a decent music scene. I am looking for towns that haven't been completely taken over by chains and large corporations-mini malls, Panera Breads, Gaps and Starbucks. I don't care too much for family communities or large tourist attractions but would like a town that has some decent night life and other people my age. I would also like an area that is open to alternative health/diets-it's important that I live in a town that has a Whole Foods/Trader Joes or something similar-I'm not a vegetarian but I'm big on eating organic and use alot of soy and rice substitutes due to some food allergies. Lastly, it would be nice to be in a community that is more left wing, where the residents are politically and environmentally conscious. I know some of it sounds so petty, I'm just trying to give you an idea of the kind of person I am with the hope that it may be helpful in the kind of suggestions that you throw out. Any suggestions would be great. I've been told Ocean Beach and Hillcrest in San Diego, Ventura and Laguna Beach. Thanks for taking the time, I could use all the help I can get.
The first thing, what is your budget and where will you work? Finding a job will be the biggest challenge. As for organic foods, in So California that is an easy one. You will have no problems. If you can afford the rent Laguna Beach would fit you to a tee, so would Venice and what about places like Redondo and Hermosa Beach?

As for left wing, politically conscious, they do not always go together, but that is for another posting. Most of the beach communities will be liberal, how many of the young people really vote could be a different thing.

Nita

Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 PM

20 posts, read 95,972 times
I've lived in Southern California (San Diego area) for a year (I came from Seattle) and I can tell you San Diego, despite having a lot of college students, is a very conservative town. There are pockets - maybe in Hillcrest and North Park - that are more liberal. But in general, much more conservative than any town around Seattle.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM

107 posts, read 577,845 times
define "decent music scene"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California