Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 10:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The person who likes the latter attacks the former for living in a shack next to the beach and eating ramen with two roommates, the person who likes the former attacks the latter person for living in a sub-par state with crappy weather and buying a McMansion in a cookie cutter master planned community. The first group rationalizes their choice as being far above the material things in service to the intangible, the second group thinks of tangible assets; i.e. what do you have to show for all your hard work? Neither will understand each others choices because they both have different tastes and a different outlook on life.
There are other choices. California is a big diverse state, you can find decent, relatively inexpensive housing all over the state within an hour or 90 minutes of a beach. And where is ocean front real estate cheap???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are other choices. California is a big diverse state, you can find decent, relatively inexpensive housing all over the state within an hour or 90 minutes of a beach. And where is ocean front real estate cheap???
Well I was pointing out stereotypes each other make. You didn't notice that I also said that the others are all living in McMansion in master planned communities? That isn't true and CA has master planned communities too.

90 minutes from a beach is still far, I don't even get how you came up with that being a plus. I live 30 mins with low traffic from beach. In Houston, I was roughly an hour or so away from the gulf.

Perhaps costal CA, the biggest and hard hit areas. I get that CA is diverse and big but I was mostly talking about the extreme cases such as what's seen on the coasts. I am not talking about Fresno.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM

Also that shack is a euphemism for older, smaller house they believe to be overpriced.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:02 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
It's your choice, and this is something that shouldn't be lost on people; people have different tastes and either choose QOL or COL. Rarely do people get both unless they're wealthier. Some people might find the things CA offers to be intangible so things you can't quantify on paper are also factored into their decision to live in CA. Some people can't live like that. They want tangible things you can quantify, they can't live off weather and good vibes alone. They need a bigger home, more land, more assets, and more purchasing power.

The person who likes the latter attacks the former for living in a shack next to the beach and eating ramen with two roommates, the person who likes the former attacks the latter person for living in a sub-par state with crappy weather and buying a McMansion in a cookie cutter master planned community. The first group rationalizes their choice as being far above the material things in service to the intangible, the second group thinks of tangible assets; i.e. what do you have to show for all your hard work? Neither will understand each others choices because they both have different tastes and a different outlook on life.
This is a really good post. Things or experiences? "Thing" people will never understand "experiences" people, and vice versa.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
I applaud you for your frugality but I wonder if you do it to remain in CA and accept the tradeoff, or do you just think that life would be the same anywhere else so might as well remain in CA?

It's your choice, and this is something that shouldn't be lost on people; people have different tastes and either choose QOL or COL. Rarely do people get both unless they're wealthier. Some people might find the things CA offers to be intangible so things you can't quantify on paper are also factored into their decision to live in CA. Some people can't live like that. They want tangible things you can quantify, they can't live off weather and good vibes alone. They need a bigger home, more land, more assets, and more purchasing power.

This is correct and as one gets older the security of property and tangible things becomes more important as they do not want to live with roommates, drive junk cars, eat fast food all the time and ... because of that life style also have more medical expenses, etc. The young are more flexible and the older are more experienced and their desires change with experience. Some change more than others, but change will occur.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is correct and as one gets older the security of property and tangible things becomes more important as they do not want to live with roommates, drive junk cars, eat fast food all the time and ... because of that life style also have more medical expenses, etc. The young are more flexible and the older are more experienced and their desires change with experience. Some change more than others, but change will occur.
This

I can tell you that vehicles areas where I lived and things I liked when I was young re not the same things I like now that I'm older.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This

I can tell you that vehicles areas where I lived and things I liked when I was young re not the same things I like now that I'm older.
Yes, five years ago I was a little hipster thinking the burbs and chain stores were the pits but now I could care less. In fact I like the tranquility of a place like Burbank over WeHo or DTLA.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:35 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
I applaud you for your frugality but I wonder if you do it to remain in CA and accept the tradeoff, or do you just think that life would be the same anywhere else so might as well remain in CA?

I don't concern myself with what others want or like, it is up to each person to decide how they want to live their lives. If they feel that CA is too expensive and can find a better COL somewhere else, they should do what makes them happy.

I could decide to move to another state and start a new, but I don't have a reason to. All of my family is here in CA. I have also passed that phase where I feel this insatiable need to 'get out' of where I am. It may be because I travel often, have lived in other countries, have had to return and scramble for a job, money, deal with debt etc...I don't want to deal with that anymore. There is something very satisfying about learning to be content with what you have and be happy in the PRESENT.

I don't judge others who want more .I like nice things actually, but I decided long ago that this is my path and am happy with it. By the way, I don't live poor. I have a nice home in a quiet, tranquil neighborhood, eat healthy and I do not have roomates (I can't stand living with other people). I've just learned to pay attention to where every dollar goes and not overdo it with buying things that aren't needed. If my cell phone works, why do I need to buy a new one?

Last edited by rosa surf; 03-02-2017 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Why do I live in California? Here is my California. Here is the area I live near. I can drive up to Santa Barbara or head down to Malibu. I can take a boat to the Channel Islands. I love to play on the water and spend time at the beach. Its not for everyone but my family, my wife, and I love it.

Why do we stay? We have a home we can afford that we purchased over 6 years ago. We will pay that home off in 10 years or less. It is a modest home but it suits us. Since we live near the coast the temperature is mild year round. It can get into the 100 range but that hardly ever happens. For the most part we enjoy a 70 degree average temperature. We do not have AC in our home and have not used the furnace in a few years.

What about jobs? I have been with the same Hospital for going on 20 years. I live where I work and hope to put in another 20 years at least. Between my wife and I we make well over $100,000 a year. We are not getting rich but we are doing fine. Our needs are met.

Yes we could move somewhere else. We have plenty of equity in our home to pay cash for a place somewhere else. My wife has even thought of Tennessee, Arizona, and a Utah. But what it comes down to is we live our lifestyle. We like the beach. We love the year round outdoor activities.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Why do I live in California? Here is my California. Here is the area I live near. I can drive up to Santa Barbara or head down to Malibu. I can take a boat to the Channel Islands. I love to play on the water and spend time at the beach. Its not for everyone but my family, my wife, and I love it.

Why do we stay? We have a home we can afford that we purchased over 6 years ago. We will pay that home off in 10 years or less. It is a modest home but it suits us. Since we live near the coast the temperature is mild year round. It can get into the 100 range but that hardly ever happens. For the most part we enjoy a 70 degree average temperature. We do not have AC in our home and have not used the furnace in a few years.

What about jobs? I have been with the same Hospital for going on 20 years. I live where I work and hope to put in another 20 years at least. Between my wife and I we make well over $100,000 a year. We are not getting rich but we are doing fine. Our needs are met.

Yes we could move somewhere else. We have plenty of equity in our home to pay cash for a place somewhere else. My wife has even thought of Tennessee, Arizona, and a Utah. But what it comes down to is we live our lifestyle. We like the beach. We love the year round outdoor activities.
You have been wise and bought at a good time. New comers and those growing up a bit are not in as good a position and it is frustrating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California