Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM

25 posts, read 68,967 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My name is Trey and I am currently a Junior in college here in Texas. I am majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Political Science. I am hoping to move out to California for a few years for a few reasons.

1) I know that it is extremely stressful to try and raise a family in California and I figure my best chance of living out there without wanting to kill myself is while I am young and have less responsibilities.

2) I am looking to go to business school eventually and the best MBA programs require atleast two years of work experience. I figure it would be fun to move out to California and get some of that work experience.

3) I have always wanted to live out in California. I don't want to look back on my life and regret that.

I am really interested in Southern California but mainly because that's the only section of California that I have visited. I really love San Diego and the surrounding areas but Los Angeles attracts me too. I plan on working for the next year while I am still in Texas, so I can save up enough money to have a cushion in the case of any emergencies that may pop up.

Some really important information that may help everyone with this discussion is that my friend of 18 years will be moving out there with me so we will be renting a 2-bedroom instead of just a one bedroom. I am sure that makes it seem a bit less daunting.

All I am asking for is any information that you may find helpful. I have read previous posts on this message board that do help a little but under my situation I am thinking the advice may be a little different. Is there a big demand for people in the public relations sector? I was even looking at teaching high school or something, even though it doesn't make much money. I am assuming it may be able to cover the rent.

I thank everyone for any help they provide. Like a post on a previous thread said, "Where there is a will, there is a way."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thj0011 View Post
2) I am looking to go to business school eventually and the best MBA programs require atleast two years of work experience.
Consider the Claremont Colleges for the MBA.

Claremont McKenna College

Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,793 times
You should see the Bay Area before you commit to move anywhere.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
You should see the Bay Area before you commit to move anywhere.

What's the bay area like? I heard it is kind of expensive there too. I think another reason my friend and I are looking towards Southern California is because he has a huge dream of being a writer/director for movies and he wants to follow that dream. I know that may sound so cliche but it is true.

But that doesn't mean I am closed on the whole bay area thing, I am interested to see what it offers. Any information is helpful.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thj0011 View Post
What's the bay area like? I heard it is kind of expensive there too. I think another reason my friend and I are looking towards Southern California is because he has a huge dream of being a writer/director for movies and he wants to follow that dream. I know that may sound so cliche but it is true.

But that doesn't mean I am closed on the whole bay area thing, I am interested to see what it offers. Any information is helpful.
It's a little hard to give a little snapshot of what the Bay area is like as opposed to Southern California. I am biased toward it, so you should know that. However, if your friend is following a dream in Hollywood, than you should go south. I just think it's a shame to settle in the first place you've seen. The culture, climate, geography, everything is different up north.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
It's a little hard to give a little snapshot of what the Bay area is like as opposed to Southern California. I am biased toward it, so you should know that. However, if your friend is following a dream in Hollywood, than you should go south. I just think it's a shame to settle in the first place you've seen. The culture, climate, geography, everything is different up north.

I understand, I myself am biased of the Houston area here in Texas. I have always wanted to visit San Francisco and other areas of northern California. They seem so peaceful and beautiful with the mountains and the forests. I am sure I will have saved up a decent amount before too long and I will probably have the chance to visit the Bay area before I make any final decisions.

I know you really don't know me since I didn't provide much insight into my psyche but I really just fell in love when I visited the Southern part of California. The way I look at it, I could always make a few trips up to the Bay area if I end up living in Southern Cali. After all, being from Texas I know how it is to drive for hours in the same state and when I end up at my destination it feels like a totally different state. I do thank you for your help though. I wish more people would provide some insight on what I should be expecting when I get out there and such.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 PM

38 posts, read 144,581 times
In southern CA. you will find more sun, smog, warm busy beaches, hotter girls, cheaper rents and 70 deg. Christmas. In the Bay area you will find some sun, fog, much cooler temps all year round, wind, culture, culture and more culture, more diversity, some serious freaks and alot more people walking, jogging and using public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California