Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 AM

94 posts, read 55,006 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
So this is only my second post on these forums so I am quite new here. I am 17 years old and will be traveling to California alone this summer in July.

I will be at Biola University for a conference, but after the conference I plan on taking a holiday for a couple days at either Six Flags Magic Mountain or Ventura, CA, maybe both if possible. So my first question is should I land in LAX Airport, or John Wayne in Orange County? On a map it tells me that John Wayne is closer to Biola but LAX is closer to SFMM and Ventura. So I was thinking to arrive at John Wayne and depart from LAX, but is that the best way? I have only been to California once, and used John Wayne but I was only in orange county area. So what do you think? Arrive in John Wayne, and Depart LAX or only use on of them?

The most difficult part and pretty much the reason why I am asking this question is I don't have a car, and nor do I have any drivers license. Yes I know this will make like a million times harder, but its the truth. I am also on a budget of course, and want to spend as little money as possible on transportation and lodging. So what is the best and most reasonable way to get from John Wayne Airport to Biola University? Is there public transportation? How long would that take me?

Then Is there public transportation between Biola University and SFMM and Ventura? I need a reasonable way to get there, but of course I don't want to spend unnecessary time traveling either. I am afraid I might have to suck it up and pay for a taxi, but hopefully there are cheaper ways. Any busses? I hope to go to both Six Flags and Ventura, although I probably won't have the time or money for both depending on my options, but is it easy to travel between SFMM and Ventura without a car. What is public transportation like in that area? Busses, Trains, Subways?

I also would need to know about transportation from either or both SFMM, and Ventura back down to LAX or John Wayne if that would be better airport for any reason.

I also want to know what is lodging like around the Six Flags Area and in Ventura? Are typical chain hotels like Days Inn, Holiday Inn, etc reasonable prices, or are those areas more expensive? Any reasonable options you are aware of?

I know this might be a lot, but I really need help, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Since you're 17 and don't have a drivers license, you'll find it hard to get a motel.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I can't help with transportation as I've never attempted long bus/train trips around town, but it's well known that public transit in the Orange County/LA area is not the best.

And maybe I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't arriving at John Wayne and leaving from LAX be more expensive, as it's two one-way trips instead of one round trip? Is there something special you want to see in Ventura? It's 2.5 hours by car from La Mirada, and I can only imagine that if you tried to do that on public transit--if such even exists--it would be a trip of pure torture.

Also, maybe it would be wiser to go in & out of John Wayne and find something that interests you in Orange County, instead of trying to go all the way out to the other side of LA. How about Knotts Berry Farm? It's in Buena Park, very close to La Mirada/Biola, and has some good roller coasters, though not quite as extreme as Six Flags. The beaches in OC are very good too.

Another recommendation, if you're set on Six Flags, is to make it a day trip. You don't need to spend two days there. It's really hot there in July, and one day at the park is enough for any reasonable person. That will save trying to find cheap accommodation in the area.

One more thought: if a lot of young students will be attending this conference, why not contact the coordinator of the event to find out if any activities are planned or could be planned for them. Maybe they could even connect you with other students who live in the area (and would have cars), who would like to go out to Six Flags or whatnot with a small group.

Another edit: You can look at Google Maps to see what bus routes are available. It's possible to take a bus from John Wayne to Biola, but it is not easy--takes 3-5 hours and involves multiple changes. No bus routes show up for Biola > Six Flags or Biola > Ventura. It's just too far and people here don't do that.

Last edited by saibot; 03-02-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Since you're 17 and don't have a drivers license, you'll find it hard to get a motel.
How come? Are you talking about a form of ID? I'd just use my passport.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

One more thought: if a lot of young students will be attending this conference, why not contact the coordinator of the event to find out if any activities are planned or could be planned for them. Maybe they could even connect you with other students who live in the area (and would have cars), who would like to go out to Six Flags or whatnot with a small group.
Yes! This is a good idea. As is the suggestion to investigate things to do closer to Biola. They may let you stay in the dorm for a few extra days (if you pay for it, of course).

Also, Biola has a webpage for students that links to all public transportation options from campus.

So, I'd start there:

https://studenthub.biola.edu/public_transportation

Their visitors page also gives the name of a shuttle from LAX to campus that gives discounts to students visiting Biola, but I'd check with the program you are attending first as they may very well have their own transportation arranged to and from one of the airports.

But, here's the link to the page on Biola's website that explains the airports ---

https://www.biola.edu/about/location/maps

Note the difference in mileage between LAX and John Wayne to Biola's campus is a difference of THREE miles. So, I would go with the airport where you can get the lowest price on airfare.

Finally, if Magic Mountain is your goal, then they also have directions for taking public transportation from various areas to the park on their website here:

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmounta...sit/directions

As someone mentioned, it may be difficult to rent a hotel room as a 17 year old, even if you have a credit card. So, before proceding with your plan, you might want to call a few hotels and ask about that part of your plan.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-02-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
If you want to go to Ventura, check Metrolink. Metrolink trains go all over Los Angeles.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPS View Post
How come? Are you talking about a form of ID? I'd just use my passport.
Hotel policies often prohibit minors from checking in without an adult. Even if you have a passport and credit card.

The tricky part is you'll be able to make reservations online, but when you get there, and they look at your passport and see your age, they may turn you away.

So, you will want to verify ahead of time that there won't be a problem when you go to check in. If you go to the Six Flags site, they have a list of hotels near the park. Get that and call a few to double check.

When my daughter was your age, and wanted to visit colleges by herself, I *sometimes* could call hotels as her parent, explain the situation, and arrange payment over the phone. So, you may want to get your parents to call the hotels for you and give that a try. No guarantees, but it might help if you are having trouble finding a hotel near Six Flags that will let you check in as a minor without an adult.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can't help with transportation as I've never attempted long bus/train trips around town, but it's well known that public transit in the Orange County/LA area is not the best.

And maybe I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't arriving at John Wayne and leaving from LAX be more expensive, as it's two one-way trips instead of one round trip? Is there something special you want to see in Ventura? It's 2.5 hours by car from La Mirada, and I can only imagine that if you tried to do that on public transit--if such even exists--it would be a trip of pure torture.

Also, maybe it would be wiser to go in & out of John Wayne and find something that interests you in Orange County, instead of trying to go all the way out to the other side of LA. How about Knotts Berry Farm? It's in Buena Park, very close to La Mirada/Biola, and has some good roller coasters, though not quite as extreme as Six Flags. The beaches in OC are very good too.

Another recommendation, if you're set on Six Flags, is to make it a day trip. You don't need to spend two days there. It's really hot there in July, and one day at the park is enough for any reasonable person. That will save trying to find cheap accommodation in the area.

Another edit: You can look at Google Maps to see what bus routes are available. It's possible to take a bus from John Wayne to Biola, but it is not easy--takes 3-5 hours and involves multiple changes. No bus routes show up for Biola > Six Flags or Biola > Ventura. It's just too far and people here don't do that.
Well using both John Wayne and LAX might be a little more expensive but not much because I'd just book multiple destinations on a say expedia or orbitz for example and it would narrow down the price. Maybe like $50-100 extra maximum. I am not too worried about that anyway because I will be flying from JFK Airport which is a major airport in the country, so airfares shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I actually have contacted the coordinator of the conference, and we will actually be going to Knotts Berry Farm one day. I am sure it will be fun, and we will spend another day at the beach. However I guess I could ask if the coordinator had any recommendations with ways to go to SFMM after or if she could connect me with other teens in town that would like to go.

However Six Flags has MUCH MUCH MUCH more intense roller coasters. Its not even comparable. Thats why I really want to go. Its the thrill capital of the whole country, LOL. Anyway its always a place I wanted to visit and I might not have another chance in a LOOOONNNG time to even go to California. I only planned on spending one full day there, but I meant the extra day if I was going to both Six Flags and Ventura. Also I probably will still need a overnight place regardless so I can catch my flight back home the next day.

Unfortunately yes there is a very special reason why I want to go to Ventura. Its not about beaches or anything like that. What it is is that I have some very very close friends that I consider my favorite people in the whole world that live there, and I very rarely get to see them. Again it might be many years before I get another chance to go to California, so I'd like to take advantage and see my close friends there.

As I said before I will probably have to choose either Six Flags or Ventura, but I am hoping I can work something out in order to do both. If I end up only choosing one, I am not sure which one I plan on doing. I'll make a final decision after I explore transportation options and all circumstances.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:31 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Can't your friends in Ventura come out to see you? Knowing that you don't have a car or any reasonable way to get over to see them?

Old 03-02-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yes! This is a good idea. As is the suggestion to investigate things to do closer to Biola. They may let you stay in the dorm for a few extra days (if you pay for it, of course).

Also, Biola has a webpage for students that links to all public transportation options from campus.

So, I'd start there:

https://studenthub.biola.edu/public_transportation

Their visitors page also gives the name of a shuttle from LAX to campus that gives discounts to students visiting Biola, but I'd check with the program you are attending first as they may very well have their own transportation arranged to and from one of the airports.

But, here's the link to the page on Biola's website that explains the airports ---

https://www.biola.edu/about/location/maps

Note the difference in mileage between LAX and John Wayne to Biola's campus is a difference of THREE miles. So, I would go with the airport where you can get the lowest price on airfare.

Finally, if Magic Mountain is your goal, then they also have directions for taking public transportation from various areas to the park on their website here:

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmounta...sit/directions

As someone mentioned, it may be difficult to rent a hotel room as a 17 year old, even if you have a credit card. So, before proceding with your plan, you might want to call a few hotels and ask about that part of your plan.
Thanks, I will definitely look into Biola's website. No the conference doesn't have arranged transportation. They were very clear about that which is one of the reasons I asked here actually.

I'll definitely look into all those websites, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California