Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times

Advertisements

So true, in most cases with start-ups. Most will lack processes, staffing and resources (e.g. adequate staff, funds, tools, etc). Often times, founders will be in "over their heads". Very demanding environment on staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
Unless you are young and single or a founder, do NOT get seduced by the siren song of the San Francisco startup scene. It looks shiny and sexy from outside the bubble but it will suck the life out of you. The culture will seem like a college dorm and a "flexible" schedule means you can start whenever you want but don't expect to leave before 8pm. You cannot count on the stock options to be worth anything as 95% of current startups in the city will not see an exit. You can always join a tech startup in the future but you will never get back the lost time with your two daughters. Take the real estate investment job in the East Bay, you'll be much, much happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,051 times
Hey all,

Thank you for all of your responses. I've decided on the real estate gig. Like all of you said, it just makes the most sense. It's stable, pays more, and I can probably spend 2-3 more hours a day with my family which is priceless. I'm just a social person, and love talking with my co-workers, and want to enjoy the people that I work since I'll be spending 40+ hours a week around them. I guess if anything I'll just be really productive. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Josh

Old 03-03-2017, 09:39 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh11021988 View Post
Hey all,

Thank you for all of your responses. I've decided on the real estate gig. Like all of you said, it just makes the most sense. It's stable, pays more, and I can probably spend 2-3 more hours a day with my family which is priceless. I'm just a social person, and love talking with my co-workers, and want to enjoy the people that I work since I'll be spending 40+ hours a week around them. I guess if anything I'll just be really productive. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Josh
Good luck, Josh. Hopefully the culture at the RE gig isn't as mundane as you predict. And if it is, you can always make it your personal mission to change it.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh11021988 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks again!

Josh
Good luck man. If anything you can offer to invest money in that start up as a investor rather than a employee. This way you can still get a bite of the apple but if it's bad you can spit it out take the loss on the taxes and still go to work tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
It sounds like you made the right decision, since even though you will spend 40+ hours a week at work, and naturally want to get along well with your coworkers, your relationships with your family are the most important and enduring.

Besides, there’s no guarantee that the social environment at the startup would be any better than that of the RE company. That “great culture” could be annoying when people need to buckle down and move the company forward, beyond the barn-building stage, into a competitive mode.

Regarding deadlines, one way to deal with them is to always be ahead of the curve. Be the person who submits high quality work very early, with minimal or no errors. Make a point of being highly efficient.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Solid decision, Josh. You'll never regret spending more time with your kids! They grow up so fast and that time is, like you said, priceless.

Good luck with your new job!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,051 times
Thank you everyone for your kind words! I really do appreciate it, and all of your feedback has really helped me with this decision.

All the best,

Josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: