Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 29,296 times

Advertisements

Hello, I found a used vehicle I want and its in Texas. I am in California. I would be buying from a private party who would ship it to me. My question is what do I need from the seller to register it in my name in California. Last time I purchased a vehicle from private party both of us had to go to the DMV and fill out the paper work.

Second question is how do I check on the title? Like verify the registered owner, make sure there are no liens, parking tickets etc.

Thank you,
shlbele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlbele View Post
Hello, I found a used vehicle I want and its in Texas. I am in California. I would be buying from a private party who would ship it to me. My question is what do I need from the seller to register it in my name in California. Last time I purchased a vehicle from private party both of us had to go to the DMV and fill out the paper work.

Second question is how do I check on the title? Like verify the registered owner, make sure there are no liens, parking tickets etc.

Thank you,
shlbele
First step is to make sure it will pass Calif. emission standards. This page on the Calif. DMV website explains how to do that:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

And, the DMV website also has detailed info on what you need to get in terms of paperwork in order to register a car bought out of the state here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/os

Still have questions? Call the DMV. Don't rely on advice from strangers on the internet. Go to the source and save yourself headaches.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
Quote:

Thank you,
shlbele
To answer your second question, Texas DMV doesn't provide that information. Their normal transfer process is for the buyer and seller to go to the office so the clerk can tell them if the title is ok.

A couple of suggestions--you can run the VIN through one of the companies, such as CarFax to see if there's any other problems.

Second, try running the VIN through Google. I've done that before and have had hits come up from salvage companies, Craiglist, etc. Free and worth a try.

As far as California DMV goes, you need the title, a verification of the vehicle, a SMOG certificate and the required fees.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Is there something about his vehicle that you need to buy it from 1000 miles away? Some collectible or model you simply cannot find here?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 29,296 times
Thank you so much. Im going to check out the links and go down to the DMV directly. Electrician 4you, yes it is a collectible
and I can't find one here.

Thanks again,
Shlbele

Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Thank you so much. Im going to check out the links and go down to the DMV directly. Electrician 4you, yes it is a collectible

Thanks again,
Shlbele
If it's older then I think 1975 no smog is needed in Ca

Chevelle SS?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Quote:
yes it is a collectible

Thanks again,
Shlbele
Please let us know what kind of car and if you have any pics. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 AM

48 posts, read 56,471 times
As said above, if it is a model 1975 or older it does not require California emissions testing. Typically, DMV will want a valid title signed off by the previous owner and a bill of sale. Some states do not provide titles for cars, I'm not sure if Texas is one. I bought a pre-75 car from No. Carolina a couple of years ago and simply took the paperwork to AAA and was done in 30 minutes. They may have to to an inspection which is simply a visual verification that the VIN on the car matches the paperwork. If you don't belong to AAA you should simply for the convenience of avoiding DMV for things like this.

A note on California emissions requirements. I've been playing around with cars for 40 years so I have a bit of knowledge. If you buy a used car from out of state and register it in California and it is a 1976 model year or newer, it must go through bi-annual emissions testing. There are some exceptions like pre-97 diesel powered vehicles or if it is over 14,000 lbs GVW. You can legally buy an out of state 1976 or newer used vehicle and register in in California. It will have to pass emissions testing but it will be tested against the standards it was originally built to meet. Now, California standards have typically been tighter than the rest of the US and some states have matched California standards but others only require national standards. There is usually an emissions information sticker under the hood which will state what standards the car was manufactured to meet. It will be tested against those standards. So, if you buy a car that was manufactured to meet 49 state (non-California) standards, those are the standards it will have to meet. I have seen it stated on the forum that you have to retrofit California emissions equipment to a non-California car to pass emissions, and that is wrong, as long as the car was originally built for sale in the US.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:46 AM

93 posts, read 84,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
First step is to make sure it will pass Calif. emission standards. This page on the Calif. DMV website explains how to do that:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

And, the DMV website also has detailed info on what you need to get in terms of paperwork in order to register a car bought out of the state here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/os

Still have questions? Call the DMV. Don't rely on advice from strangers on the internet. Go to the source and save yourself headaches.

Excellent advice, Rosie. I'm doing this very thing. My father is bringing his car from Texas for me to have in California.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:37 AM

130 posts, read 159,793 times
Quote:

Thank you,
shlbele
Make sure it does not have weather damage, flooding, or winter erosion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California