Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 15,022 times

Advertisements

My wife, our 1 year old daughter and I are planning to move to the city of Mount Shasta Sep 2017. We can not afford living in Sonoma County any longer. We love the area up there and we have family in Redding. My Mother and Father In law would like to move to Dunsmuir next year. We are open to living in any of the town's near Mount Shasta. Redding is not for us.
Questions I have would be:
Is it a good place to raise our daughter?
Will there be enough other kids and how are the schools?
If we live in Dunsmuir, Weed or Mccloud would our daughter be able to attend school in Mount Shasta?
Are there 2 bedroom houses to rent for under $1200 a month and if so where would we find listings?
I will save my 100 other questions for other threads.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:01 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Are you not familiar with Craigslist? Here's the link. You can enter the different communities at the top of the page, for listings specific to those. It looks like you shouldn't have any trouble affording a 2-br. apt. Not sure about houses. Take a look.

https://siskiyou.craigslist.org/sear...labilityMode=0

Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 PM

Thanks, yeah we use Craigslist and Zillow. I guess I ment to ask about any local Siskiyou County sites for rentals or whether or not they are mainly listed in a paper or not. Yeah we want to rent something with a yard so a house is our first choice. What we have seen in Craigslist and Zillow were houses so we know they are there we just don't know if we are missing any important resorses

Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 13,073 times
Be very careful using craigslist or other online ads when looking for rentals here...There is a man who rents out a LOT and he is a scammer and bad man. His name is Erik or Van Anderson. He also runs ads under his wife's name...it's something like Myuki Nakashima..total guess, but you get the picture. If you rent from him, you will be burned. People who actually do end up in his homes find he has come in and gone through their dresser drawers and stuff. You can find criminal records in his name for many of these charges. so you know it's a fact.

I would suggest staying with Mt. Shasta to raise your daughter, there's not as much to do in the other cities. If you live in a surrounding city there are ways your child can go to a Mt. Shasta school...there is the Golden Eagle Charter and there is Mattole school. You shouldn't have a problem finding a 2 bedroom for $1,200.

I'm in Lake Shastina...Beautiful Homes that price, virtually no crime, on the golf course, beautiful and quiet. Its about 8 to 10 minutes to weed. However, there aren't a LOT of kids and the only things within a 5 minute drive is a park, the club house and a mini mart. Other than that...it's off to Weed. Oh, and while Shastina does get snow, it is significantly less than the other cities.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up! We will keep that in mind.
We need to scope out Lake Shastina next time we are up there. Also, we don't mind driving between all the towns often while we are living there...but not sure how easy it is comuting from one to the other during the dead of winter. We are saving up for an all wheel drive car. That's a must right?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 13,073 times
An all wheel drive is helpful, that's for sure. Lake Shastina is gorgeous, there isn't a run down house in the neighborhood that I have seen yet. The winters vary, so it's hard to say about travel. We don't have 4 wheel drive and there were more than a few times this year we were forced to stay home. (but we have also only been here a few years so we aren't comfortable driving in the snow). However, there were a few occasions this year that my relatives in 4wd didn't feel safe leaving and one time their vehicle slid into a pole. Last year the snow wasn't bad enough all winter to cause much trouble on the main roads, even for us. This year however, the 5 got closed down completely at least 2 times that I know of. Our first year here there was barely any snow, Mt. Shasta didn't even get much at all.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshaffer View Post
Thanks, yeah we use Craigslist and Zillow. I guess I ment to ask about any local Siskiyou County sites for rentals or whether or not they are mainly listed in a paper or not. Yeah we want to rent something with a yard so a house is our first choice. What we have seen in Craigslist and Zillow were houses so we know they are there we just don't know if we are missing any important resorses
You should be checking into property management companies for Siskiyou County. Here are two I found.

Batchelder Properties - The Best Real Estate Agents I Have Ever Used -
Several available homes in Weed and Lake Shastina. Looks to be a very good source for a home in that area.

Lake Shastina Real Estate & Property in Mt. Shasta, Weed & Lake Shastina California - Sandra Haugen - Realtor - Century 21 Advantage - Siskiyou County
Click the link for current listings (rentals) Right now, there is only one three-bedroom home available in Weed

I would stay away from Craigslist. I know two people who tried to rent from listings off that site and both ads were scams. Go with a reputable real estate company that handles property management. They can answer a lot of your questions about the area; schools, weather, shopping, crime. Just about anything you want to know. Pretty sad when people in this state are forced to move because they can no longer afford to live there. I wish you the best. Actually, that's some pretty area up north. May be a blessing in disguise.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Thank you so much kwwriting & HereOnMars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California