Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

So no more setting the clock forward (let 3 days ago) and backwards every year. We'll be just like Arizona who also doesn't do daylight savings.

I'm neutral, leaning towards no, as I was kind of used to it anyways. I don't have the knowledge nor data if it'll have any averse effects (only thing is some brief recollection that it saved money somehow).

Even though I've never visited nor count on visiting Oregon and Washington, it'd be confusing to travel north/south across CA state lines and have to shift the clock by an hour! However, I'm told if this passes (which I heard would take place sometime next year), it may get WA and OR to follow suit as well. Of course now, the west coast and the rest of the US will observe it, but not us Still not sure if it's bad or good though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 08:56 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Rather than do away with it, however, I would rather keep Daylight Savings Time year-round. Otherwise, we lose the lawn sunlight in the summer and Tack it on to the beginning of the day comma which makes no sense to me. Especially down here in San Diego, where we are so far east sunsets earlier year-round than it does in Northern California, we would have at the sunrise around 4:30 a.m. in the summer, and the sunset would be at 7. I don't see how that much brightness during the night time helps anybody. We all just lose the daylight and try to keep it out of our eyes while we sleep. I suppose it would be great for people on a night shift!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:17 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Rather than do away with it, however, I would rather keep Daylight Savings Time year-round. Otherwise, we lose the lawn sunlight in the summer and Tack it on to the beginning of the day comma which makes no sense to me. Especially down here in San Diego, where we are so far east sunsets earlier year-round than it does in Northern California, we would have at the sunrise around 4:30 a.m. in the summer, and the sunset would be at 7. I don't see how that much brightness during the night time helps anybody. We all just lose the daylight and try to keep it out of our eyes while we sleep. I suppose it would be great for people on a night shift!
There's another thread about this. I mentioned that we cannot keep DST year round because that would be effectively moving time zones and for any state to switch time zones requires the approval of congress. Because states would not do so uniformly and because daylight length varies from one part of the time zone to another, congress would not approve of this. California would be on Mountain Time, Nevada would still be on Pacific Time but then Utah would be on Mountain Time. This may not seem like a big deal to most people but for trucking, air travel, railroads etc. it would be a nightmare. Even shipping would be affected as crossing into a new time zone could cause a two hour gain or loss as you approached or left CA.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
I can't figure out why people don't like DST. Why would you want it to get dark so early in the summer? Don't people like having some daylight left after work to take a walk/bike ride/hike or play with your kids or a few holes of golf? Or finish a project in the yard/gardening?

Plus it's depressing getting dark so early.

I'd rather be on DST all the time.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:17 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I can't figure out why people don't like DST. Why would you want it to get dark so early in the summer? Don't people like having some daylight left after work to take a walk/bike ride/hike or play with your kids or a few holes of golf? Or finish a project in the yard/gardening?

I totally agree, having visited/lived in different parts of Asia, the continent of no DST, I learned to appreciate DST as the daylight there in the summer starts so early in the morning like around 4am when most people still want to sleep some more but it gets dark so early at around 7pm-8pm In much of the year there is almost no more daylight left after people get off work or school. People work long hours there and schools don't let out until 5pm. Its pretty sad they have to spend much of the daylight hours inside working or schooling. I'd rather have the daylight in the evening when I can actually do something meaningful rather than at very early in the morning when I am still trying to catch up on some much needed sleep before a long day ahead of me.

I wish that instead of changing the clocks bi annually, all the timezones should be + one hour permanently though it would be the best if we could also at the same time adjust start our day half an hour to an hour later we could avoid the problem of commuting in the morning darkness in the winter but still have enough time to enjoy the daylight after our work/school day ends.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:46 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

For those who do not want DST, move to AZ.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:46 PM

19,215 posts, read 16,696,914 times
I'm in favor of it. Makes no sense to continue switching clocks back and forth. Besides, every time we have to change the clock, news reports come out saying more vehicle accidents occur due to to sleepy drivers ... blaming it on the time change. Of course, no one complains when they get that extra hour in October. Pfffffft

Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 PM

153 posts, read 200,876 times
If this passes, the sun will set in SoCal between 6 and 7pm in the summer. Those who work late hours will be driving home in the dark year round.

I feel like those pushing for this haven't thought this through....

Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
And the sun will be up in Socal at 4 something am particularly in San Diego and areas east of San Diego. The daylight cycle in SoCal is already 40 minutes ahead of NorCal.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
And the sun will be up in Socal at 4 something am particularly in San Diego and areas east of San Diego. The daylight cycle in SoCal is already 40 minutes ahead of NorCal.
Not sure how you got to that conclusion. Day length for starters is shorter in summer in Socal due to being farther south. On DST, the sun rises later in the morning so the sun would never rise are 4am in San Diego. Right now, it doens't rise till after 6am. Also, Socal is not just farther south than Norcal, it's farther east which makes it more easterly in the time zone. For this reason, the sun will always set earlier in San Diego during the summer than it does in San Francisco.

And once again, we will not be switching time zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California