Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 02:13 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,363,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
It was close but canella was bribed so that's that. For some reason I cant rep & haven't been able to in months. My tags expire mid November 2017 so I will be hit with a $25.00 tax on my 32 yr old car (my tags are currently $83.00). I never thought I would see the day when I would be paying over $100.00 for a old car that I drive less then 3k miles annually. I have a neighbor who for the past few years has been driving his truck with valid AZ plates. He is saving a bundle & no smog test.

I actually got pulled over by the CHP because of my Arizona plates when I was stationed in AZ. I was home visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 02:19 PM

848 posts, read 961,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I have a neighbor who for the past few years has been driving his truck with valid AZ plates. He is saving a bundle & no smog test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Arizona requires emissions inspections.
That's odd, because yes, every two years you need an emissions inspection. If your car is new enough (1997 I think), all they do is basically kick the tires so to speak; i.e. plug a device into the computer, check the gas cap, that sort of bs. No ACTUAL emissions testing like in CA. So, every two years that guy is making a trip back to AZ for that.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Just take out that old, inefficient V8 and drop a modern 4-cyl with a 6-speed auto transmission into your Vega. The increase in gas mileage will more than offset the 12-cent gas tax increase -- you'll be sending less money to Brown than before

Actually, this is true for anyone bellyaching about the gas tax increase: if you don't want to pay it, just trade in your vehicle for one that gets at least 1 or 2 more mpg than the one you have now.

Yeah, just go spend more money on a more efficient car and stop your whining! You don't need a car with a big motor!

This is always their answer. You don't need a gun! You don't need a big screen TV! You don't need a big house!

Okay, fine. But this country wasn't built on getting by with what you "need". If that's the case, most people in the world have what they "need", maybe they should just shut up and stop trying to improve their lives.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:30 PM

911 posts, read 588,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
This is always their answer. You don't need a gun! You don't need a big screen TV! You don't need a big house!
Its true. You dont.
Quote:
Okay, fine. But this country wasn't built on getting by with what you "need". If that's the case, most people in the world have what they "need", maybe they should just shut up and stop trying to improve their lives.
Good idea if "improving their lives" comes at unsustainable costs.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Its true. You dont.

Good idea if "improving their lives" comes at unsustainable costs.

It's the taxes and fees that are getting unsustainable... maybe the state assembly should listen to your advice.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,307,938 times
Quote:
It's the taxes and fees that are getting unsustainable... maybe the state assembly should listen to your advice.
It is only getting unsustainable for the poor and middle class. The rich have no problem. Humm, seems to show who the legislature really cares about. Which party claims to be for the poor?

Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 PM

19,158 posts, read 16,566,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is only getting unsustainable for the poor and middle class. The rich have no problem. Humm, seems to show who the legislature really cares about. Which party claims to be for the poor?
Good question. I've been wondering that for years. I see one side trying to help the poor and the other trying to help the wealthy but the poor guy in the middle is left on their own ... slowly sinking into the abyss. <sigh>

Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,501,261 times
I know a few very well to do people... they make it a point to stay less than 6 months of the year at their Pebble Beach home... as do several others and the reason is avoiding being a California resident for tax purposes.

Their vehicles are not registered in California and they have no W2 income...

For the rest of us there isn't much you can do if you live and work here...

Old 04-14-2017, 09:55 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,278,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
That's odd, because yes, every two years you need an emissions inspection. If your car is new enough (1997 I think), all they do is basically kick the tires so to speak; i.e. plug a device into the computer, check the gas cap, that sort of bs. No ACTUAL emissions testing like in CA. So, every two years that guy is making a trip back to AZ for that.
+

They check tailpipe emissions in AZ. I've seen it in real life while waiting around with someone in 115 degree heat.

Besides, so what if they do or don't? The whole con about any type of vehicle inspection for me is that I have to take time out to do it. But, the the reality of the situation is vehicle inspection requirements are there because too many people fail to properly maintain their vehicles. Stupid laws are for stupid people. Stupid people don't replace burnt out lights, failing brakes, and drive around with with idiot check engine lights glowing on the dash in front of them.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:25 PM

848 posts, read 961,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
They check tailpipe emissions in AZ. I've seen it in real life while waiting around with someone in 115 degree heat.
They do, but it seems to be pre-97 or whatever year it is; basically pre OBD-II (unless they do it for newer cars too on a random selection basis; I've no idea). That's what I gathered from a recent discussion on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California