Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Oh yes, there's no doubt California has some of the highest tax rates in the country. Still, it's not the highest when it comes to property taxes. Check out New Jersey or New Hampshire. They're terrible In fact, not long ago I read a blurb about how people should move to New Hampshire to enjoy the tax benefits but not if they plan on buying since property taxes were off the charts and that's how the state made their money.

So if you are one who doesn't buy a home and only spends on purchases, it makes sense that you would want higher property taxes and lower consumption taxes. I, on the other hand, am an almost elderly single person with a mortgage who relies on keeping property taxes lower so I can stay in my home. I also don't spend money on tobacco or liquor so raising those taxes doesn't bother me, either. So you see, it's all subjective and how it affects you personally.
there are 9 states with an overall higher tax burden than California eek
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/
There are only 20 states with a lower Property tax burden.

I have no idea why people continue to make claims like that about California when they are so easily disproven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

I have no idea why people continue to make claims like that about California when they are so easily disproven.
Tis true. I think it's a lack of research. I've learned quite a lot as I've searched for information on various states. I know I don't know everything but what I've found is that basically they're all the same. They all raise taxes in various ways and the west and east coast areas are some of the more expensive places to live. I think the wisest thing a person can do is look at what will benefit their own life and then make those adjustments, if they can. It's also important to be a watchdog in your state. Don't let politics become so powerful that it runs roughshod over voters. Try to keep it balanced so all residents are represented and treated fairly. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. There's always room for compromise.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Oh yes, there's no doubt California has some of the highest tax rates in the country. Still, it's not the highest when it comes to property taxes. Check out New Jersey or New Hampshire. They're terrible In fact, not long ago I read a blurb about how people should move to New Hampshire to enjoy the tax benefits but not if they plan on buying since property taxes were off the charts and that's how the state made their money.

So if you are one who doesn't buy a home and only spends on purchases, it makes sense that you would want higher property taxes and lower consumption taxes. I, on the other hand, am an almost elderly single person with a mortgage who relies on keeping property taxes lower so I can stay in my home. I also don't spend money on tobacco or liquor so raising those taxes doesn't bother me, either. So you see, it's all subjective and how it affects you personally.
New Hampshire like Oregon has no sales tax. And like Texas, it is a low-tax red state with high property taxes. That formula seems to work.

The Mercatus Center rated New Hampshire, Oregon, and Texas as having average fiscal situations, while California was below average. (New Jersey has high taxes across the board and is in even worse fiscal shape than California.) Montana also has no sales tax and is in excellent fiscal condition.

(Oregon's tobacco tax is lower than California, although its tax on spirits is much higher. Its taxes on wine are slightly higher than CA and its taxes on beer are considerably lower. )

Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
New Hampshire like Oregon has no sales tax. And like Texas, it is a low-tax red state with high property taxes. That formula seems to work.

The Mercatus Center rated New Hampshire, Oregon, and Texas as having average fiscal situations, while California was below average. (New Jersey has high taxes across the board and is in even worse fiscal shape than California.) Montana also has no sales tax and is in excellent fiscal condition.

(Oregon's tobacco tax is lower than California, although its tax on spirits is much higher. Its taxes on wine are slightly higher than CA and its taxes on beer are considerably lower. )
Nice to see you've been doing your homework on it.

One question, regarding Montana. Only because I happen to think it's a beautiful state. Do you think the reason Montana does so well with no sales tax (you didn't mention property taxes) is due to the difference in infrastructure? You have to admit that California has a much higher population with more infrastructure than Montana. Stands to reason California would need more money to maintain it.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Tis true. I think it's a lack of research. I've learned quite a lot as I've searched for information on various states. I know I don't know everything but what I've found is that basically they're all the same. They all raise taxes in various ways and the west and east coast areas are some of the more expensive places to live. I think the wisest thing a person can do is look at what will benefit their own life and then make those adjustments, if they can. It's also important to be a watchdog in your state. Don't let politics become so powerful that it runs roughshod over voters. Try to keep it balanced so all residents are represented and treated fairly. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. There's always room for compromise.
The tax burden in California is not that high, I'm not sure why you are talking about politics running roughshod over voters, I've never felt that way. I lived in Nevada for 14 years before I moved back to California, for a home of an approximately equivalent value we pay $1,000 less a year in property tax in California. Thirty cents a gallon less in gas tax. We're retired and except for two pensions we just don't have enough taxable income for state income tax to be an issue. Our utilities here are on the average $200 a month cheaper than in Reno and our water bill about $50 cheaper. Car registration is slightly higher in Nevada because the value of your car does not drop as quickly with DMV as it does here. We feel lucky to be here we're saving enough here to take a decent vacation every year.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Nice to see you've been doing your homework on it.

One question, regarding Montana. Only because I happen to think it's a beautiful state. Do you think the reason Montana does so well with no sales tax (you didn't mention property taxes) is due to the difference in infrastructure? You have to admit that California has a much higher population with more infrastructure than Montana. Stands to reason California would need more money to maintain it.
It's true that Montana isn't really comparable to California.

However, there are states comparable to California that have lower sales taxes like Florida and Pennsylvania. Florida's doing better than we are. (They have high taxes on booze, low taxes on tobacco, and high property taxes, FWIW. But definitely an overall lower tax burden.)

Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
The tax burden in California is not that high, I'm not sure why you are talking about politics running roughshod over voters, I've never felt that way. I lived in Nevada for 14 years before I moved back to California, for a home of an approximately equivalent value we pay $1,000 less a year in property tax in California. Thirty cents a gallon less in gas tax. We're retired and except for two pensions we just don't have enough taxable income for state income tax to be an issue. Our utilities here are on the average $200 a month cheaper than in Reno and our water bill about $50 cheaper. Car registration is slightly higher in Nevada because the value of your car does not drop as quickly with DMV as it does here. We feel lucky to be here we're saving enough here to take a decent vacation every year.
Sounds like you're doing better in California than you did in Nevada. If for nothing more just to be away from the snow in winter. You and your hubby are an example of what I was saying to majoun, that it is all based on personal situations.

As for my comment about politics, you and I are not on the same page. I am not a liberal. I am a moderate conservative although I vote independent which means I have voted both sides of the aisle. I don't hate California. It's treated me well even though I've been out priced in many areas of it. I've just learned to make do with what I've been given. I have to fight in this and I won't let you bait me into an argument. I've seen how you like to debate with others. I'm just not that into it.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're doing better in California than you did in Nevada. If for nothing more just to be away from the snow in winter. You and your hubby are an example of what I was saying to majoun, that it is all based on personal situations.

As for my comment about politics, you and I are not on the same page. I am not a liberal. I am a moderate conservative although I vote independent which means I have voted both sides of the aisle. I don't hate California. It's treated me well even though I've been out priced in many areas of it. I've just learned to make do with what I've been given. I have to fight in this and I won't let you bait me into an argument. I've seen how you like to debate with others. I'm just not that into it.
I'm not trying to bait you into an argument, and I'm not as liberal as some people might like to think. But you were talking as though you felt California has quite the tax burden and I wanted to make my case that it is really not all that high. All states need taxes to survive, even Montana which doesn't have sales tax but has a higher property tax than California. When a state decides to cut taxes without giving thought to the implications they can easily end up like Oklahoma - over a billion in the hole for two years now, mostly attributable to tax breaks to the wealthy and to businesses, none of which have paid off in creating economic growth that the governor promised they would. Instead they have been forced to kick the elderly poor out of rest homes and cut their school budget by 25% and now they are doing the unthinkable for a red state, they are going to reclassify a bunch of crimes like drug possession which were felonies to misdemeanors to cut down on the prison population.

I don't like the cigarette tax even though I hate cigarettes, I would prefer to see them outlawed if we are going to try to control smoking behavior, I think the tax increase unfairly impacts the poor. I think liquor should be taxed higher and I would like to see the state reduce the price of traffic tickets which have gotten so out of hand that a speeding ticket can consume two weeks of pay for a low income worker. Anyway there's lots of stuff we could do better in California but for the most part I think Brown has a good handle on what our priorities should be and is a pretty darned good Governor.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:47 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:

That is based on rates overall. Now I would agree if you have a home in Indio your property tax burden is not to bad, but if you live in say Corona Del Mar you actual tax burden is much higher in dollar figures. Most people in CA live in more expensive areas property wise so their taxes are higher, even if the % is lower.

Example in FL where I have looked, I can buy a home in a very nice beach community and about 8 miles from the beach (20 minute drive in the worst traffic) for 1/3 of what I would pay in So OC and a new home and bigger and on a bigger lot and an HOA of under $900 a year in a beautiful community. In So OC I would end up paying thousands more in Property Taxes and thousands more in the HOA and since a new home and in an X flood zone Insurance would be very similar to So OC. It isn't just the rates, it is the actual cost depending on where a person lives in any State and most people in CA live in higher priced areas. IS CA the worst? In some areas yes, and in others no. Bay area VS Mojave as an example.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is based on rates overall. Now I would agree if you have a home in Indio your property tax burden is not to bad, but if you live in say Corona Del Mar you actual tax burden is much higher in dollar figures. Most people in CA live in more expensive areas property wise so their taxes are higher, even if the % is lower.

Example in FL where I have looked, I can buy a home in a very nice beach community and about 8 miles from the beach (20 minute drive in the worst traffic) for 1/3 of what I would pay in So OC and a new home and bigger and on a bigger lot and an HOA of under $900 a year in a beautiful community. In So OC I would end up paying thousands more in Property Taxes and thousands more in the HOA and since a new home and in an X flood zone Insurance would be very similar to So OC. It isn't just the rates, it is the actual cost depending on where a person lives in any State and most people in CA live in higher priced areas. IS CA the worst? In some areas yes, and in others no. Bay area VS Mojave as an example.
Of course your property tax isn't as high if you live in a less expensive house, but how is that unfair? No one is forcing you to buy a million dollar house in California or in any other state. We bought a 300k house in Sacramento, our taxes are a little over $3000 a year. We could have afforded to spend more on a house but we preferred to limit our housing expense and have more money available for other things.

My SIL lives in Missouri, and she's always sending me listings for houses that sell for under 100k on a lake with a private dock I guess that's supposed to entice us to move there, but the problem is that those bargains are in Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California