Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:24 PM

191 posts, read 693,089 times

Advertisements

I live in MN and am a HS senior. I HATE the midwest winters and will not live here to see one more! CA seems to have the best climate in the country and I want to go to school there, if i like it, i plan to stay. I understand COL is high but weather is a huge prioirty to me. I have applied to UCSD, USC, and Cal Poly SLO. So these are the 3 places I would have to live. Can someone help me make a decision assuming i will get accepted to all 3 schools? I want to major in computer science/business so ill need good job opportunities. thanks.

btw i think i may be a little naive here and maybe life in CA isn't so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 10:48 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
Academically-speaking USC is byfar the best of the schools. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about attending-if accepted. Furthermore, I am also not the world's greatest advocate for the smog, illegal immigrant infested lifestyle, but it's only for four years. If you were to look for a school solely by location, which I don't suggest, look in CA -outside LA. SLO is a great college town. The weather is very ideal. You should be aware that the pace of life will be more relaxed there(probably what you're more used to). For computer science jobs in SLO right now, SLO doesn't have the hottest job market. But..there are beaches, mountains, and a middle class-imagine that!?

For computer science jobs the Bay Area is really considered the holy grail-even though the current job market is on a slump.

SDSU is a pretty good school as well. You might do well finding a job in San Diego. SDSU is a big school. You should take into consideration the high amount of day students. ...From MN you would likely be living on-campus, while others live at home with mom and dad or off-campus.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 25,674 times
Smile College Professor in SoCal

There are so many good schools out here and fun things to do as a college student. This is not what you see on TV all the time, but it is a great place to live. Just be aware that there will be some adjusting to do. It is very dense with people, freeway traffic, high gas prices, and rent. But, you can make some nice friends and share expenses. This is a beautiful place to be if you keep your eyes open and learn. My niece came out here at 21 and she got in a car accident in her first week, because she wasn't used to the freeways being so wide and so fast. It has taken her a while, but she also learned how to figure out who is a safe person to talk to and who isn't. There are a lot of people here and many will try to use you. It is just a large community, so it is good to find a school group, or church, etc. that you can start to feel like you belong. Go for it!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 AM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Default California weather

If you base the decision ONLY on weather, I'd say San Diego has what most people consider the best... my brother lives there (Pacific Beach), and always brags about the 75 & sunny daily forecasts. I personally prefer our chillier northern California climate, which is one reason I'd never move south of SF. However, I would possibly consider San Luis Obispo, since it's a great town! Real "college-town" atmosphere, very laid-back for California, and more reasonably priced than most coastal areas. There's also this nearby town called Morro Bay, which I fell in love with at first sight. I'm not 100% sure about the weather there, but I'd guess it's warmer than the Bay Area, and foggier/cooler than L.A. or San Diego... in other words, mild coastal weather!

Finally, USC is right in the heart of Los Angeles, if you're looking for the city life... but that also means dealing with smog, traffic, and higher prices. And if I'm not mistaken, isn't their main campus in the South-Central "ghetto?" Maybe things have changed, but I remember hearing that when I was first applying to college (around 1993-94). Anyway, it's a good school nonetheless, and I know quite a few people who got a good education there!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:46 AM

P.S. I was thinking more about San Diego, and realized it has varying climates... SDSU is pretty far inland, so it will be slightly warmer & drier than the coast. Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, La Jolla, etc., have more of the typical coastal weather, with less extreme temps (and possibly some fog).

Old 12-04-2006, 08:03 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang View Post
I live in MN and am a HS senior. I HATE the midwest winters and will not live here to see one more! CA seems to have the best climate in the country and I want to go to school there, if i like it, i plan to stay. I understand COL is high but weather is a huge prioirty to me. I have applied to UCSD, USC, and Cal Poly SLO. So these are the 3 places I would have to live. Can someone help me make a decision assuming i will get accepted to all 3 schools? I want to major in computer science/business so ill need good job opportunities. thanks.

btw i think i may be a little naive here and maybe life in CA isn't so great.
Academically, USC is the best for compsci. UCSD and Cal Poly both have good programs but USCD is probably a little more competetive. In terms of lifestyle, USC is located in a tough area, while UCSD and SLO are in really nice areas. SLO is really kind of a small town.

Overall UCSD probably has the nicest lifestye but personally if I got into USC I would go there. It is one of the top schools in CA.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:21 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,949 times
It's interesting that the three schools you mentioned represent a huge difference in price - but all are great schools in my opinion. USC is the best though, so if you have the money for that - or are willing to have a LOT of debt, then go for it. However, the campus is in a pretty rough part of LA and the surroundings are probably the least desireable of those you mentioned.

I'm not familiar with the UCSD campus, but San Diego is very mild as far as weather goes. Of course, I'm partial to Cal Poly SLO, since that is where I am now and have had a great experience here. The weather is the mildest I've ever experienced and the city of SLO is small enough for me to not feel overwhelmed like I probably would in San Diego. I know they have a great CS program here - and Cal POly SLO was actually rated the top "nerd" school in the U.S. by US News... take it for what it's worth.

If you're worried about money through college and after college - you can't do any better than Cal Poly when it comes to bang for your buck. Plus, the area has fantastic weather and amenities without a big city.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM

SLO seems like the ideal location for me but USC attracts me because its a great school and im guessing it has a better alumni network. Anyways, none of these cities seem like places i would want to stay in. I would rather live in a suburb. BTW, id like to apply to somewhere in the bay area but don't know of any good schools in the area. UC is out of the question btw. thanks for all the great opinions everyone!

Old 12-05-2006, 03:36 AM

Default Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang View Post
SLO seems like the ideal location for me but USC attracts me because its a great school and im guessing it has a better alumni network. Anyways, none of these cities seem like places i would want to stay in. I would rather live in a suburb. BTW, id like to apply to somewhere in the bay area but don't know of any good schools in the area. UC is out of the question btw. thanks for all the great opinions everyone!
What are you planning to study? We have many good schools in the Bay Area, including three Calif. State Universities... SF State, San Jose State (where I went for grad school), and Sonoma State, which is a little outside of the actual Bay Area. If private schools are an option, there are many of those too! Of the above, I'd choose SF State if you could handle the city life... it's actually in a more quiet part of SF (Sunset District), and probably has the best academics of these 3. Sonoma State is a good school, if you want something more suburban - plus it has cheaper rent! If you're willing to go WAY north, there's always Humboldt State, which I considered for undergrad.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM

I think i'm going for Computer Science and the software industry is there! im considering anything under $30k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California