Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 01:32 PM

911 posts, read 590,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Incorrect. It's this cost, on top of the mountain of other costs piled on California residents. Highest-in-the-nation income tax rates. Outrageous sales tax rates (in some cities, 9.75%). What will now be the most expensive gasoline, gasoline taxes, and diesel taxes in the nation by far. Energy and water prices, among the highest in the nation. Ever-escalating nicotine taxes. Among the highest-in-the-nation car license/registration fees. The abominable $110 billion bullet train boondoggle.

So it is not just "$.50." It's massive, massive waste of taxpayer dollars, for which Californians pay dearly: far less money for retirement, less money for your kids' college education, less money for medical bills. Certainly can't buy a house in this laughably overpriced, overtaxed state.

Guess who has the nation's highest poverty rate? Yep, California. And it's precisely because people like you, and stupid Governor Moonbeam, think fifty cents here, a dollar there, doesn't matter. "Pay just a little more," says Brown when he's pitching some new ridiculous spending plan. Californians are paying. And paying, and paying, and paying, and paying, and paying. Paying themselves right into bankruptcy and poverty.
You really work yourself up into a lather everytime you show up dont you? And exactly none of your lather changes the correctness of the previous comments that set you off.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Right. Because $.50 or so out of each person's pocket is a heavy individual taxpayer price just to give some sad lives of despair a forced second thought.

Dont suppose it occurs to anyone, from just practical considerations, that the cost is measurable against such things as traffic stoppages that are not only inconvenient but endanger public safety at large ... rescue and recovery from the bay ... and the cost of feeding a sad association with the citys single most famous tourist attraction?
My belief is that persons who want to commit suicide should be allowed to do so. I feel that is just as basic a right as freedom of speech, of religion, and to the pursuit of happiness.

We already have too many people. If somebody wants to get off the ride early, I think they should be allowed to do so. And hell no it isn't worth 50 cents to me to take away a person's right to self-terminate their life.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:27 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Incorrect. It's this cost, on top of the mountain of other costs piled on California residents.
I get it. It's not just this small amount but the cumulative fees and taxes that keep getting piled on. But don't waste your words because you'll always get the argument "It's only a few cents" or some other justification. The thing is, this is historical. Just like the minimum wage. While I think it was necessary to raise it, it will ultimately help in the short term but given the increases in the cost of living, these poor people who are already struggling will find themselves in the same hole come four or five years from now. Again, historical.

In 1938, the minimum wage was 25 cents. In '65, it was $1.65. In 1980, $3.10. You get the picture. MW goes up but followed by more taxes.

I remember a time when a million bucks was a dang lot of money but now it's chump change. That's just the way it is and you can't change it. Try to let it not get to you. But if you really feel passionately about it, make your feelings known by contacting your state representative. You can't change things unless you speak up. Not sure it will much good but hey! you never know.

As for the safety net ... I've read stories written by people who actually jumped and lived. They come back to say that, in the moment they first let go, they regretted it. Makes me wonder of all that jumped and died, did they have the same regret after letting go of the railing? If they did, then this net makes sense to me. I don't like to see anyone in so much pain they feel suicide is the only answer.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:07 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Proponents of the safety net say that it will discourage people from jumping. I agree with this deterrent concept. However, I still oppose it for the reasons I have stated. Suicidal people can still go to that special place by other means.

Also, the larger issue is how a few individuals or special interest groups can dictate how the rest of us behave.

(I used "special place". Kind of proud my PC skill.)

Old 04-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My belief is that persons who want to commit suicide should be allowed to do so. I feel that is just as basic a right as freedom of speech, of religion, and to the pursuit of happiness.

We already have too many people. If somebody wants to get off the ride early, I think they should be allowed to do so. And hell no it isn't worth 50 cents to me to take away a person's right to self-terminate their life.
Agreed. It is a personal right. That said you clearly know nothing about suicide. And putting a net up isnt taking away anyones right to self terminate.

Quote:
There are those who believe that a suicide barrier won't make any difference, that if people want to kill themselves and can't do it from the bridge, they will resort to other means. Though this makes sense intuitively, it's absolutely false. Research shows that most suicidal people fixate on one means of death. If that means isn't available to them, they don't choose another means. Instead, they choose to live.
Quote:
A 1978 study of 515 people who were prevented from attempting suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge between 1937 and 1971 found after more than 26 years 94% were still alive or had died of natural causes.
Quote:
Anywhere from one-third to 80% of all suicide attempts are impulsive acts, according to The New England Journal of Medicine. 24% of those who made near-lethal suicide attempts decided to kill themselves less than five minutes before the attempt, and 70% made the decision within an hour of the attempt.

Suicidal urges are sometimes caused by immediate stressors, such as a break-up or job loss, that go away with the passage of time. 90% of people who survive suicide attempts, including the most lethal types like shooting one's self in the head, don't end up killing themselves later. That statistic reflects the "temporary nature and fleeting sway of many suicidal crises," reports The New England Journal of Medicine.
Quote:
In 2008, Golden Gate Bridge District officials approved the addition of a net under the bridge to prevent suicides. However, they have never approved any funding for the net's construction. They did just approve more than $25 million in construction fees for a new median barrier even though there hasn't been a fatal head-on crash on the bridge in 12 years, and only 16 since 1970. As a result, the Golden Gate Bridge continues to be the only major international suicide landmark without a barrier.
Quote:
In recent years, an average of three people a month have jumped from the bridge. Imagine if three people died every month in cable car accidents in San Francisco, or in falls from the bleachers at Dodger Stadium, or in traffic collisions at an unregulated intersection in Sacramento. The problem would be fixed immediately.

Now imagine that 10 people died in one month. There would be public outrage, harsh media stories and lawsuits — but not where the Golden Gate Bridge is concerned.

The No. 1 suicide site in the world — the Golden Gate Bridge — is in our backyard and no one seems to care. We're closing in on 2,000 suicides from the bridge and there hasn't been a peep, not from the public, the bridge district, city officials.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Proponents of the safety net say that it will discourage people from jumping. I agree with this deterrent concept. However, I still oppose it for the reasons I have stated. Suicidal people can still go to that special place by other means.

Also, the larger issue is how a few individuals or special interest groups can dictate how the rest of us behave.

(I used "special place". Kind of proud my PC skill.)
Read the above quotes. It would be better to be "proud" of being accurately informed on issues than of your "PC" skill.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:

Agreed but remember we live in a nanny state where everything is for our own goods --- except that they curiously don't worry much about those with hiv intentionally infecting others when the ones being infected are willing men. That's the only time they care about privacy and personal life choices when they should let people live (or die) as they please.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I get it. It's not just this small amount but the cumulative fees and taxes that keep getting piled on. But don't waste your words because you'll always get the argument "It's only a few cents" or some other justification. The thing is, this is historical. Just like the minimum wage. While I think it was necessary to raise it, it will ultimately help in the short term but given the increases in the cost of living, these poor people who are already struggling will find themselves in the same hole come four or five years from now. Again, historical.

In 1938, the minimum wage was 25 cents. In '65, it was $1.65. In 1980, $3.10. You get the picture. MW goes up but followed by more taxes.

I remember a time when a million bucks was a dang lot of money but now it's chump change. That's just the way it is and you can't change it. Try to let it not get to you. But if you really feel passionately about it, make your feelings known by contacting your state representative. You can't change things unless you speak up. Not sure it will much good but hey! you never know.

As for the safety net ... I've read stories written by people who actually jumped and lived. They come back to say that, in the moment they first let go, they regretted it. Makes me wonder of all that jumped and died, did they have the same regret after letting go of the railing? If they did, then this net makes sense to me. I don't like to see anyone in so much pain they feel suicide is the only answer.
A net makes some sense IF it saves anyone. However as noted people who want to die will simply find another way.

However there is only a hope and an admission it is tax payer money:

from the link

"What you’re doing here today, what the Bridge is doing, what the taxpayers are doing, will hopefully turn that number to zero.”

It would be far cheaper to do what has proven effective. Hire a fewmore bridge officers at a far lower cost.

"
Bridge Patrol Officers also conducted another 184 successful interventions to keep people from harming themselves at the Bridge."

Which is more likely to work and cost less?

Old 04-15-2017, 05:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Agreed. It is a personal right. That said you clearly know nothing about suicide. And putting a net up isnt taking away anyones right to self terminate.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I minored in Psychology in college, and have had a lifelong interest and continuing my studies in psychology.

The difference between your point of view and mine is that I'm pragmatic about the subject. I'm not into rescuing lost souls. Nor am I into rescuing serious drug users such as heroin addicts. I think the world has an overpopulation and I'm all in favor of those who want to reduce the population letting themselves end their existence by their own choice.

It's sad that people do that, but I have absolutely no problem at all with letting them have their choice.

I'll even take it a step further. I suggest we legalize self-euthanasia. Put a 24 hour waiting period after a person declares they want to suicide, and in that period have them discuss it with mental health professionals, religious counseling, whatever the person wants. If at the end of 24 hours they still haven't changed their mind then give them a sedative to put them to sleep and a stiff IV jolt of saline to stop their heart. End result: one less unhappy person who got what they wanted, and one less traveler on our overloaded planet Earth.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:

There are plenty of ways a person can take their own life without jumping off a bridge. They could land in a boat or ship and injure or kill someone. The safety of other people who don't want to die is quite likely one of the deciding factors. The chance is small but it's there so no. Besides, what kind of society just lets people fling themselves off of bridges?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-15-2017 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Rude comment removed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California