Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times

Advertisements

only one last thing to add to you . you seam like an educated person ? But you seam to have missed some where in your education process the wording in the Constitution Of the United States Of America and your certified teachers are not teaching your children the same , because if they did the government and state agencys would not have the power over our every day things that they are trying . next to the Bible this is the 2 most important piece of reading the we all should read , understand , and most important make those in power comply with !!!It's the SUPREAM LAWS OF THE LAND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:46 PM

202 posts, read 872,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Here's a link describing some of the credential requirements ...

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl561c.pdf

One the requirements is to pass a series of exams so they can verify that you actually know most of the material you're teaching.

Maybe you guys don't think that's important but, it seems pretty important to me.

Yep ... California is really crazy. Expecting people who teach to actually know the material they're teaching ... wow ...

That's really insane ... what will those California nut jobs think of next?

Ridiculous!

You sound like you would be more well fit for a Communist style government. Parents have the right to decide how to teach their kids and what they are going to learn....PERIOD! It's part of making good choices for your children.

This idea is fundamental to our basic human rights as a society. If the govt is able to dictate to you what you can and can't teach an how you should teach it, they simply undermine your control as a parent.

This law is basically, your govt telling you that they don't think you are competent and they would like to monitor your competence and under that it's about $$$$.

If what all you say about standards lacking is true and these parents are to incompetent to teach their kids, then what makes you think they will be competent enough to follow through with this certification process.

Thats right they won't, but the competent ones will and that just proves it's all about money. So this won't fix anything, except maybe the states budget and I doubt that even. You can't force competence on any one they have to decide to gain it on their own.

Certifications and standards for public schools and Universities are great, but as soon as it crosses into your home it is a violation of our constitutional rights.

Those of you who agree with this law are allowing the wool to be pulled over your heads courtesy of your own govt. If you all just write the govt a check then I'm sure they'll take the law off the books (thats what their really after).

Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Parents have the right to decide how to teach their kids and what they are going to learn....PERIOD! It's part of making good choices for your children.

This idea is fundamental to our basic human rights as a society. If the govt is able to dictate to you what you can and can't teach an how you should teach it, they simply undermine your control as a parent.
So if a parent decides that a child doesn't need to learn basic math ... the state shouldn't intervene because that would undermine parental control?

Ok ... you guys are officially out of your minds ...

Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times
Default <shakes head>

Quote:
So if a parent decides that a child doesn't need to learn basic math ... the state shouldn't intervene because that would undermine parental control?

No, apparently you have a problem with reading comprehension. That's OK, since you're a product of the CA system in one form or another...

How's this? If a parent decides that a child doesn't need basic math, and that child takes a test and fails, then that child is taken out of home school and put into a public school.

Here's a question. How do you know a teacher with credentials is teaching a child basic math properly? The answer will surprise you, it seems... And guess what? Apparently not all teachers with credentials are teaching basic math properly either!

BTW, I've read the requirements you've posted for credentials, and by the time you go through 4 years of college AND various required courses and tests, the only people left who are qualified to teach are, SURPRISE, teachers! Is that fair? I say credentials, in itself, are not the problem, but the level of credentials CA imposes are... Also, credentials does not answer the whole question as to why a child cannot read or do basic math, either...

Last edited by jkbatca; 03-10-2008 at 07:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,804 times
Default Ron Paul was pro-educational freedom

Why didn't people vote for Ron Paul last month? I knew he wouldn't beat out Obama or Hillary but I thought he'd at least get a little closer.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 PM

202 posts, read 872,639 times
Quote:

That's just unrealistic and you know it. One out of one million parents in America today are going to decide that basic math isn't important to teach to their children. You can always use unrealistic and drastic scenarios to try and prove your point but they are very unrealistic and do not apply to the majority.

We should keep the majority in mind, not the small minority of people who will abuse their children's rights. Their are many ways to handle those people but punishing the majority is not the way, it's the easy way out of a difficult problem.

You must have little faith in Americans and there ability for rational thought. There is a reason why this country is the best in the world, under your rational it's the government who deserves credit, not the hard work of Americans.

When you think about this issue, just remember that Americans created their government the government didn't create them.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
That's OK, since you're a product of the CA system in one form or another...
Yes, actually, I am. I'm a Registered Nurse ... and California actually has the toughest requirements to become an RN nationwide. If you want nurses with NO clinical experience to take care of you and your family ... feel free to move to other states.

I DID meet the state's tougher education requirements to become an RN. Saving lives can actually be quite complicated sometimes ...

Oh well ... thankfully, it's not up to you guys anyway. I'll bet on the judges who apparently also met the state's requirements for their education ...

Rant on ... I doubt it will change anything. I'm just glad California is doing this.

In the meantime ... I'm out.

Last edited by sheri257; 03-11-2008 at 07:20 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Seam=seem
supream=supreme
maybe spelling shouldn't be a home school requirement either.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,723 times
I know we are just typing our thoughts here without much regard to grammar and spelling, but it would be refreshing if some of you touting homeschooling would pull it together here to defend your stance at that level as well. It is actually just as quick and easy to spell "supreme" correctly as it is to spell it incorrectly. Also, enough with the run-on sentences. If you have two thoughts, place a period between them.

I know I am placing myself out here to be ripped to shreds, but its okay with me.

But, no one has really answered the question: you may have the right to home school, but are you able to home school adequately beyond about seventh grade level? I applaud your self-confidence if your answer is in the affirmative. I have enough confidence for everybody in any given room but I do not have that when it comes to adequately teaching my child at home.

And, for those of you who believe that this home schooling by the inept and undereducated is a one in a million situation, I invite you to look beyond the beautiful borders of California for evidence to the contrary.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
The only thing I'm sorry about is that you guys are still here. If this is representative of the people who are leaving the state then, good riddance ... by all means ... please go.

Let me be clear: I DO NOT want to live in a state that fails to enforce basic education requirements, basic professional licensing requirements, basic worker rights like lunch breaks, overtime, etc.

As you are so fond of pointing out ... here's plenty of other states where you guys can avoid all of those requirements.

I don't want children being taught by people who have no teaching credentials. I don't want employers who won't even give their employees lunch breaks (as posted recently in the Idaho forum), the list goes on and on ...

People have been making this same doom and gloom prediction for decades now yet, California just keeps chugging along. As I've said before, California will do just fine without you.
Apparently you don't feel that you are qualified to teach math, science etc. I have 4 children ages from 27 to 14 years old. I have help their teachers extensively teach them all subjects and in some cases had to undo their teachers improper teaching. I have probably spent more time teaching my kids 1 on 1 than their teachers have. I helped them in kindergarten, through college. Now maybe I had to do this because of the over-crowded class rooms, lack of text books and classroom supplies, etc.. that plague CA schools but the reality is that without me teaching my kids they would not have excelled like they have.

The public schools system is a joke and the private schools are too expensive for most. Without home schooling as an option our education system will fail many families as is is now and will continue to do so. Just look at our schools and how they match up with our countries. It is a shame that a country as wealthy and powerful can't do a better job. The reason is because our public school system is inadequate at best.

BTW, my daughter is a elementary school teacher at a very poor school district in TX. She has the same opinion as I do and is working to make the system better. Unfortunately is is a real uphill battle and very frustrating. She plans on home schooling her children if possible because it scares her to think of what a public school will do to her kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California