Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I doubt it.

Translated into plain English, what Brown really meant is "Finally, we received a big donation from Housing Developers in California."

A year ago Brown proposed getting rid of environmental and local government review of projects . Not sure what happened with that though

"Gov. Jerry Brown’s solution to California’s affordable housing crisis is to build, build, build, and not let local politics get in the way. Earlier this month, the governor introduced a bill under which proposed urban housing developments that meet local zoning requirements and reserve some portion of their units for low-income residents would be exempted from any additional environmental or local government review. The governor’s theory is that neighborhood opponents and other parochial interests have consistently blocked or downsized badly needed development projects, leading to a housing crisis in which California's major cities are increasingly unaffordable for most of its residents. As a result, the state, home to 12% of the nation’s population, has 21% of the nation’s homeless."

Gov. Jerry Brown's sledgehammer fix to California's housing crisis - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I doubt it.

Translated into plain English, what Brown really meant is "Finally, we received a big donation from Housing Developers in California."

Eh you're probably right.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:01 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Compassion?

I spent 3 years in Afghanistan getting shot at by people who wanted to chop my head off. That wasn't even the worst of it. Due to the multiple sand storms, and heck, even if there weren't sand storms, every breath or bite of food had a bit of sand in it. I even had sand in my foreskin.

I also saw how people live OUT THERE. Yup. I saw how Pashtuns and Abdali lived out there. They had to WALK one hour one way, and ONE hour back to trade for grain that they would BY HAND turn into something edible. They hand pumped water, and they bathe themselves out in the open, and that's in between the Taliban trying to convert their young boys into soldiers, or Afghan soldiers trying to sexually molest those same boys. It was estimated that these people survived, as a FAMILY UNIT, on less than $7 a MONTH.

So you're going to ask me if I have "compassion" because some guy making $15-$20 an hour has to drive 1 hour to work in his air conditioned Toyota Camry while listening to Ryan Seacrest on KIIS FM, nah. He's got it pretty ****ing good.

People in general in the U.S are too soft, too spoiled, and too unmotivated, and would rather "complain" about how "bad" they have it instead of actually changing their circumstances or asking the government for help. Too soft, fat, entitled, and lazy. Compassion would be giving them a good kick in the butt, and telling them to stop crying, and grow up.
I appriciate your service. This conversation is not about Afghanistan though. It is about how to make american cities more livable for the people who live here so they can thrive and prosper. Not just for a clannish few that put all kind of obstacles in place through city council ordinances to discriminate.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I appriciate your service. This conversation is not about Afghanistan though. It is about how to make american cities more livable for the people who live here so they can thrive and prosper. Not just for a clannish few that put all kind of obstacles in place through city council ordinances to discriminate.
You want to do that?

1) Stop voting for politicians that pass regulations that stifle development (in this state primarily Democrats)

2) Stop supporting things like artificially high minimum wages and rent control (these policies actually hurt the people they claim to help)

3) Stop voting for more taxes (they aren't used efficiently anyway and mostly go to special interest, primarily unions, and they increase the tax burden for business owners and workers alike)

4) Support immigration reform. There's a reason why wages in labor jobs in SoCal are suppressed.

If you can do that, and convince 10 of your buddies to do the same (and 10 of their buddies, and so on), I guarantee you will help create more opportunities for people in California (and America).

Old 05-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
"affordable housing " , low income housing , section 8 , rent control doesn't allow people to thrive or prosper .

Look at the stories of the people in L.A being "kicked out " of their rent controlled units after decades .

I read about one lady in Echo Park that was paying way below market rent for many many years and now has to move because the property is getting redeveloped into homes for sale .

She was saying she would probably move in with family in Watts ....

How was she helped by being subsidized all those years by the landlord ?

Then many of these tenants have the audacity to sue and protest!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
The COL will never drop much in OC unless a major economic recession hits. Then no one will have the money to buy, so it will not have much of an impact. They cannot make more land so a limit will eventually be reached and if breached by building up the QOL will drop dramatically.

The idea that everyone should be able to move to and live where they want is part of why "OC" no longer stands for "Orange County", rather "Over Crowded".

Old 05-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The COL will never drop much in OC unless a major economic recession hits. Then no one will have the money to buy, so it will not have much of an impact. They cannot make more land so a limit will eventually be reached and if breached by building up the QOL will drop dramatically.

The idea that everyone should be able to move to and live where they want is part of why "OC" no longer stands for "Orange County", rather "Over Crowded".
i know what you mean about overcrowding . I grew up on the Westside of Los Angeles .. but it's way too crazy nowadays .traffic has been bad there for a while but even worse now .

When simple things become a big ordeal things become less enjoyable and more stressful .

Growing up I never went to the valley ( San Fernando valley ) but have grown to appreciate it more as I've lived here about 7 years .

Old 05-11-2017, 11:25 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
i know what you mean about overcrowding . I grew up on the Westside of Los Angeles .. but it's way too crazy nowadays .traffic has been bad there for a while but even worse now .

When simple things become a big ordeal things become less enjoyable and more stressful .

Growing up I never went to the valley ( San Fernando valley ) but have grown to appreciate it more as I've lived here about 7 years .
I was born in LA County and lived in a variety of areas including the Valley (After marriage). My "home" was really OC as that is where I spend most of my youth. There were about 1,000,000 people in the County then and it was rural in a lot/most areas. Now over 3,000,000 and no rural left to speak of. Too crowded and costly and hectic and not likely to get better at all.

I lived in North Hollywood and worked in downtown LA and the drive was a 45 minute effort then and that was the early 70's. It has gotten much worse in both Counties and SD is catching up with them.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 PM

58 posts, read 43,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Compassion?

I spent 3 years in Afghanistan getting shot at by people who wanted to chop my head off. That wasn't even the worst of it. Due to the multiple sand storms, and heck, even if there weren't sand storms, every breath or bite of food had a bit of sand in it. I even had sand in my foreskin.

I also saw how people live OUT THERE. Yup. I saw how Pashtuns and Abdali lived out there. They had to WALK one hour one way, and ONE hour back in the blistering desert heat to trade for grain that they would BY HAND turn into something edible. They hand pumped water, and they bathe themselves out in the open, and that's in between the Taliban trying to convert their young boys into soldiers, or Afghan soldiers trying to sexually molest those same boys. It was estimated that these people survived, as a FAMILY UNIT, on less than $7 a MONTH.

So you're going to ask me if I have "compassion" because some guy making $15-$20 an hour has to drive 1 hour to work in his air conditioned Toyota Camry while listening to Ryan Seacrest on KIIS FM, nah. He's got it pretty ****ing good.

People in general in the U.S are too soft, too spoiled, and too unmotivated, and would rather "complain" about how "bad" they have it instead of actually changing their circumstances or they are quick to ask the government for help. Too soft, fat, entitled, and lazy. Compassion would be giving them a good kick in the butt, and telling them to stop crying, and grow up.
But your children will be different, right?

Within 3 generations, chances are your fortune will be squandered to nothing.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfer View Post
But your children will be different, right?
If I do my job right, they will be solid.

My kid can reload 5.56 ammo using a single stage press, and disassemble a BCG with his eyes closed.

He also knows how to use a drill press, basic hand tools, and last year he made $350 mowing lawns. *end humble brag*

Quote:
Within 3 generations, chances are your fortune will be squandered to nothing.
In 3 generations my body will be in the ground, and I'll be chillen out with Jesus. Why would I care?

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 05-11-2017 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California