Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 03:39 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
You forgot to add Nevada and Colorado to the list. Pretty soon, Texas and Arizona would end up like that.
I have hope for those type of states. Remember, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania were once thought of as a "blue wall". That didn't end up being true last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
how come Perry still came here and try to poach (with millions of subsidies/tax credits) companies to move their operations in Texas if they are doing so well?
Because we all know the employees who have jobs here absolutely, positively, DO NOT WANT TO MOVE TO TEXAS!

Old 05-13-2017, 11:19 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Ones that like hospitable weather

LOL....so true.

Have spent time in TX and have seen the whole state, other than east TX it is butt ugly, flat and treeless for the most part.

It was 78 one day in Dallas and an ice storm the next day.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Reagan was President. I was young and living in Los Angeles, about five miles from downtown. Used to take the bus to the Cameo theater to watch movies. Education was really cheap, about 90% cheaper that it is today. Jobs were everywhere. You could quit one company, walked across the street, and found another job the same day.

I am better off financially today, but if I could relive those days, I would do it over and over again.
How quickly we forget....

"Today’s student aid crisis has its roots in the 1980s. In 1981, the Reagan administration, with a coalition of congressional Republicans and conservative Democrats, pushed through Congress a combination of tax- and budget-cutting measures. No federal program suffered deeper cuts than student aid. Spending on higher education was slashed by some 25 percent between 1980 and 1985. In raw dollar figures, cuts totaled $594 million in student assistance and $338 million in Pell grants. Students eligible for grant assistance freshmen year had to take out student loans to cover their second year. For middle-class families, eligibility was changed as well. Low-cost, low-interest, subsidized federal loans were limited to families with household incomes of less than $32,000, regardless of family size"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.0e887574e27a

Old 05-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Any long time California residents here remember how great California used to be when it was a red state? And how it used to be #1 in everything? Now it's been going down the toilet for a long time (You can thank Gray Davis for starting the decline). I'm going to be the Donald Trump of California. Make California Great Again.
Another thread just so you can bash California? I'm 70 & I was born in California and for all but 14 years of my life I have lived in the State, as did my parents. I loved it when I was a kid, when I was a young adult and I love California now.

Sorry you hate it but there is a solution for that... MOVE

Old 05-13-2017, 11:57 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How quickly we forget....

"Today’s student aid crisis has its roots in the 1980s. In 1981, the Reagan administration, with a coalition of congressional Republicans and conservative Democrats, pushed through Congress a combination of tax- and budget-cutting measures. No federal program suffered deeper cuts than student aid. Spending on higher education was slashed by some 25 percent between 1980 and 1985. In raw dollar figures, cuts totaled $594 million in student assistance and $338 million in Pell grants. Students eligible for grant assistance freshmen year had to take out student loans to cover their second year. For middle-class families, eligibility was changed as well. Low-cost, low-interest, subsidized federal loans were limited to families with household incomes of less than $32,000, regardless of family size"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.0e887574e27a
I had to debate whether or not to respond to yet another one of your inane posts. When I went to school, the cost was something like $3 a unit. Now it's something like $45 a unit. I discussed tuition, not financial aid.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Another thread just so you can bash California? I'm 70 & I was born in California and for all but 14 years of my life I have lived in the State, as did my parents. I loved it when I was a kid, when I was a young adult and I love California now.

Sorry you hate it but there is a solution for that... MOVE
Get's old doesn't it?

I don't even think that poster lives here. He posts under a few names, because he responded back to me on a comment I made, but it was under a different name. In another words, he screwed up and forgot to answer under the name on the thread I commented on.....LOL.

I find it odd that people who don't live in CA have such an obession with the state. If CA were a person it would be considered being a stalker.

If they don't like CA, that's their right. But why so much time and energry(I mean it's on a daily basis) discussing a place you don't even live and telling people what's wrong with the place? It makes it look like you resent CA for not having lived here, or maybe wanted to when they were younger and now have regrets they didn't try something when they were younger and had the chance.

I have a relative who doesn't like CA, and it came up when he visited for business once, we talk frequently on the phone and I can assure you we don't talk about how he didn't like CA......LOL. It's not normal to be so vocal about a place that really has no direct impact on them if they don't lve here.

Because it makes no sense to constantly bash a place you have never lived on a daily basis.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:50 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Get's old doesn't it?

I don't even think that poster lives here. He posts under a few names, because he responded back to me on a comment I made, but it was under a different name. In another words, he screwed up and forgot to answer under the name on the thread I commented on.....LOL.

I find it odd that people who don't live in CA have such an obession with the state. If CA were a person it would be considered being a stalker.

If they don't like CA, that's their right. But why so much time and energry(I mean it's on a daily basis) discussing a place you don't even live and telling people what's wrong with the place? It makes it look like you resent CA for not having lived here, or maybe wanted to when they were younger and now have regrets they didn't try something when they were younger and had the chance.

I have a relative who doesn't like CA, and it came up when he visited for business once, we talk frequently on the phone and I can assure you we don't talk about how he didn't like CA......LOL. It's not normal to be so vocal about a place that really has no direct impact on them if they don't lve here.

Because it makes no sense to constantly bash a place you have never lived on a daily basis.
OMG your a piece of work what gets old is you BASHING Texas on every freakin post that's what gets old. Kettle meet pot

Old 05-13-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
OMG your a piece of work what gets old is you BASHING Texas on every freakin post that's what gets old. Kettle meet pot
Do I start threads bashing TX? No, I do not. Do I go on the TX boards and tell them how awful their state is? No, I do not.

I have commented when people mention TX as an alternative to CA, that I don't care for the state and that I know people who left CA for TX and returned to CA.

Nice try, but not even close to someone who on a daily basis comments on how awful CA is.

Apples and oranges.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I had to debate whether or not to respond to yet another one of your inane posts. When I went to school, the cost was something like $3 a unit. Now it's something like $45 a unit. I discussed tuition, not financial aid.
It's certainly reasonable that you would take that away from that article and I should have been more clear, this is the part of the article that I was referencing:

"Spending on higher education was slashed by some 25 percent between 1980 and 1985"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California