Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
It is unfair that landlords make those requirements when you can actually pay the rent..
Honestly, I think they're doing him a favor. Renting to people who can just barely afford it isn't good for the renter or the landlord. It only takes one problem (car breakdown, etc.) and then the tenant can't pay rent.

That landlords require 3.5X income is forcing the OP to come to grips with the fact that he needs a valuable skill or needs to move somewhere cheaper, or maybe both. But it's forcing him out of his comfort zone, and that's not a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast69 View Post
50 hours per week for one person is insane.
No, it isn't. This is part of your problem. If you want a better situation, you're going to have to worth BOTH hard and smart.

Maybe working construction 50 hours is too much, but you could do something else.

The more you look for something easy, the harder life will get.

If you're not willing to work 50 hours a week (between school and work, or 2 jobs, or 1 good paying job that requires that much time), then you're not treating your situation like the emergency it is.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-05-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I'd recommend moving to the cheapest possible place with a decent economy.
It's likely not going to be a cool or hip city.

Someone on another forum mentioned apartments in Fargo ,N.D for $400 and I looked it up and it was true.
I looked up their unemployment rate and it's actually a lot lower than L.A

Read this article, very interesting.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...conomic-growth

If not there, I'd look for another city that also has a strong economy and affordable housing prices. Just used Fargo as an idea of where one could live cheap, but where unemployment rate is low and economy is good.

Many of the larger cities in Texas could be good options too.
SoCal has a lot of nice things going for it , but the high cost of housing and other things makes it difficult for people to actually get ahead and have savings and purchase assets.

Personally I feel that buying real estate is the best way to generate wealth. Much better than the stock market.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:00 PM

266 posts, read 334,417 times
28 apartments for rent from 400-550 in Fresno (forrent.com)
Some are definitely ghetto, but a few have to be good deals

Hot weather, but not desert hot. Might be worth it for op

High of 73 this Sunday in Fresno
Low of 72 this sunday in phoenix!!!!!!

Last edited by Flovis; 06-09-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 07:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
28 apartments for rent from 400-550 in Fresno (forrent.com)
Some are definitely ghetto, but a few have to be good deals

Hot weather, but not desert hot. Might be worth it for op

High of 73 this Sunday in Fresno
Low of 72 this sunday in phoenix!!!!!!
That 73 is way below normal and you know it. The normal high in Fresno is like 92 right now

Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Comeon guys. Unless you are a techie you go to Las Vegas.

The most eastern suburb of LA. Where does the food and supplies come from? And where are many of the LA areas provided with stuff from?

If you are young and able and like S. CA you are far better off in LV than anywhere else.

Gets you out of CA and saves you lots of taxes. Lots of jobs. Lower cost of living and the beach is less than 5v hours away.

It is amazing to watch you all try to avoid the obvious. As a long time OC resident I do understand the turf. But you folks are doing this kid a disservice.
Phoenix is a better alternative unless you work in certain industries, like hospitality or the gaming industry

Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 PM

266 posts, read 334,417 times
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That 73 is way below normal and you know it. The normal high in Fresno is like 92 right now
Close

91 for this weekend is the average at the airport.
Northwest Fresno is probably a degree or two lower average.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Phoenix is a better alternative unless you work in certain industries, like hospitality or the gaming industry
Vegas is a better choice unless you are a tech type with a reasonable skill. IF I were 30 years younger and looking for a job the last place I would look would be Las Vegas.

I wold also point out at that point I would not consider the local geography an issue. Looked around a bit 30 years ago and considered opportunities in places far less friendly then Las Vegas. Now I was looking in the top 1/2 a percent of technical jobs. And at that point the job hunt is national.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:15 PM

295 posts, read 337,964 times
you have some construction experience why don't you try this out..Training & Apprenticeships | IBEW 569 it's the electrical workers union they will pay you while you learn a skill that is actually worth something.. It pays pretty well and the more training you have the more money you make and you can take it anywhere.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
20 something is a young age, young enough to go to school. Get an education or learn a trade. It takes only 4 years for college and 2 years for trade school but pays dividends for a lifetime. Being poor you can get financial aids to pay for school.

Or join the armed forces. They give you free housing and meals. The money you can save in 4-5 years is substantial. Use that to buy a place to live in a cheaper state. They also pay for schooling. Can't get a much better deal than that.

Change yourself first. Moving from places to places won't improve your slot in life.
military is not a quick fix option, the amount of time away from people you love is horrendous. The US military is almost exclusively an expeditionary force, we are not like other nations where you train and hang out at home. Now that Iraq is mostly done I don't know if they are still doing 13 month deployments anymore but the military is not a good deal for someone with a significant other in most cases it is extremely hard on relationships. You also don't start making real money until you advance in rank past E-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California