Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I'm not from California so don't know much about the job market there. However, why don't you try get another job; two jobs is better than one. At least for the time being you work two jobs, make a good chunk of money and possibly rent a place. It sucks you may have to leave, but it would probably be in your best interest to move out of the state and find a state/location where the job market is less than healthy, the cost of accommodation is reasonable, and then live there for a few years and build up your savings, then make a go of it again in California. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices which aren't ideal, but increase your employment skills and then come back again, you will be in a much better position. If you really are desperate to stay in the state, then try for another one or two jobs and grind until you have money to afford a place and maybe an education in a subject area which will help your job prospects. You will be okay mate, just focus on the positive and keep that goal in mind and work hard to achieve it. It feels as though the powers above are against you now, but with perseverance and motivation you will where you want to be eventually.
there's jobs here for a young guy but they don't pay enough to keep up with the high cost of living here. He might be able to get 2 jobs and still not make enough to survive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 AM

214 posts, read 329,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
there's jobs here for a young guy but they don't pay enough to keep up with the high cost of living here. He might be able to get 2 jobs and still not make enough to survive here.
I hear you. However, along with his gf there's no reason they wouldn't be able to afford a place. I'm not from the US, but isn't the minimum wage around $10 p/h? If so, he gets two jobs and his gf continues with her job surely that would be enough for an apartment in a somewhat desirable area in california? They could work around 100 hours between them and make anywhere between $3-4k per month.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast69 View Post
Any advice is welcome.
Do you have the option to both move in with your or her parents for a while?

Are one or both of you getting a degree or received a degree. You need to try to get that income above $4700 a month. If one or both of you are going to school that may not be possible. So that is a by it would be good to move in with family if possible. If neither of you are in school then I think you guys should be able to bring in at least $4700 combined.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM

OP has not replied with information about ability or lack of to move in with relatives. His or his GF's. And what kind do of work does she do. What does she want to accomplish?

Old 05-21-2017, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 30,253 times
Quote:
I hear you. However, along with his gf there's no reason they wouldn't be able to afford a place. I'm not from the US, but isn't the minimum wage around $10 p/h? If so, he gets two jobs and his gf continues with her job surely that would be enough for an apartment in a somewhat desirable area in california? They could work around 100 hours between them and make anywhere between $3-4k per month.
50 hours per week for one person is insane.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:38 PM

10 posts, read 30,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Do you have the option to both move in with your or her parents for a while?

Are one or both of you getting a degree or received a degree. You need to try to get that income above $4700 a month. If one or both of you are going to school that may not be possible. So that is a by it would be good to move in with family if possible. If neither of you are in school then I think you guys should be able to bring in at least $4700 combined.
Can't move in with parents..

Income above 4700? Not sure how to do that when we are taxed like crazy on our income and paid extremely low wages.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Not enough for a good area in CA

Old 05-21-2017, 05:44 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:

Income above 4700? Not sure how to do that when we are taxed like crazy on our income and paid extremely low wages.
Have you found any more construction work since you're last post?

Old 05-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Your answers are vague.

In your OP you stated you didn't want to move away because family is around since you grew up in OC.

50 hours a week too much? Not if you are in your early 20's and not going to school. I worked 70 hours a week for a year. And worked around 55 hours a week for a couple more years.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
50 hours per week for one person is insane.
Hardly. Most jobs that's one good day of OT. I worked 2 jobs and went to school full time for a couple of years. 50 hours is usually expected for a Supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California