Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

I hear what you're saying. But, I think you'll learn that when the cost of living changes, it doesn't change the percentage of your income required for the rent. In other words, rents might be cheaper somewhere else, but so will be the hourly pay. You'll have basically the same disposable income percentage that you did somewhere else.

Whenever anywhere is more affordable, there is a reason for it. It's not magic. And you'll find that the pay is commensurate to the cost of housing. It's just basically the same situation - but with way less amenities and worse weather.

At least that's what I've learned over my fairly long life. I do hope you enjoy your stay in Humboldt County, though. I have learned that in order to really appreciate any place, you have to experience lots of other places so you have a point of reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 PM

19 posts, read 24,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I hear what you're saying. But, I think you'll learn that when the cost of living changes, it doesn't change the percentage of your income required for the rent. In other words, rents might be cheaper somewhere else, but so will be the hourly pay. You'll have basically the same disposable income percentage that you did somewhere else.

Whenever anywhere is more affordable, there is a reason for it. It's not magic. And you'll find that the pay is commensurate to the cost of housing. It's just basically the same situation - but with way less amenities and worse weather.

At least that's what I've learned over my fairly long life. I do hope you enjoy your stay in Humboldt County, though. I have learned that in order to really appreciate any place, you have to experience lots of other places so you have a point of reference.
That's true, and I would think that if it weren't for the fact that I make minimum wage here (minimum wage is the same in Humboldt as it is here), and the average 1br apartment in a not-so-great part of town is well over 1000 a month

Old 05-23-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaggotbrain View Post
That's true, and I would think that if it weren't for the fact that I make minimum wage here (minimum wage is the same in Humboldt as it is here), and the average 1br apartment in a not-so-great part of town is well over 1000 a month
Okay. A decent 1 bedroom apartment in Arcata is about $900. And even minimum wage jobs are hard to find.

You can find a 1 bedroom apartment in Eureka for around $750. And again, minimum wage jobs are hard to find.

Not a huge upside financially, in my opinion. But, nobody could ever talk me out of my choices, either. Had to learn my own lessons, and I'm glad I did. There will be a lot you'll love about the area, and you'll end up with lots of great stories to tell, at minimum.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I don't know why the assumption is that the OP will be working minimum wage. I thought she said she's qualified to do office admin work, and will be applying to jobs at the university, and elsewhere.

OP, one way to get your foot in the door at the university is to apply to their temporary office-worker pool. They'll send you around to different departments to fill in for people on leave, and when something permanent opens up, you'll have first dibs, since you'll be considered to be on staff and inside the system, at that point.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Okay. A decent 1 bedroom apartment in Arcata is about $900. And even minimum wage jobs are hard to find.

You can find a 1 bedroom apartment in Eureka for around $750. And again, minimum wage jobs are hard to find.

Not a huge upside financially, in my opinion. But, nobody could ever talk me out of my choices, either. Had to learn my own lessons, and I'm glad I did. There will be a lot you'll love about the area, and you'll end up with lots of great stories to tell, at minimum.
Funny, the unemployment rate there is only 5% which is just 1% higher than the Bay area

Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Funny, the unemployment rate there is only 5% which is just 1% higher than the Bay area
Well sure, but good paying jobs are certainly much more difficult to come by around here. Both my wife and I work for the county and it's one of the best gigs you can get in terms of both salary and benefits, and together we still make under $70k a year. That's not to say we aren't comfortable (we are), but it gives you a little perspective. At right around $20/hr I'm doing pretty well here, whereas that salary in SF would get you a cardboard box with 3 roommates if you're lucky.

Perspective

Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Well sure, but good paying jobs are certainly much more difficult to come by around here. Both my wife and I work for the county and it's one of the best gigs you can get in terms of both salary and benefits, and together we still make under $70k a year. That's not to say we aren't comfortable (we are), but it gives you a little perspective. At right around $20/hr I'm doing pretty well here, whereas that salary in SF would get you a cardboard box with 3 roommates if you're lucky.

Perspective
70k there would qualify for 350k in mortgage which is a damn nice house up there. Here that wouldn't even get you a studio condo.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
That ain't necessarily so. When I moved to New York to pursue a career in finance, my disposable income went waaaaay up. My rent tripled, but my paycheck also tripled and then kept going up in subsequent years. The percentage of my income that went to rent stayed the same initially (it later fell) but the dollar amount left over was much larger. After 15 years of this I had saved almost enough to retire; more than enough to retire at a typical middle-class standard, but I wouldn't have been satisfied with that.

Enjoy Humboldt County. I was there (Trinidad) for a weekend last year, and loved it; but the weather was sunny. I don't know what it's like to live there. It's an adventure getting in and out of the area.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:24 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, one way to get your foot in the door at the university is to apply to their temporary office-worker pool. They'll send you around to different departments to fill in for people on leave, and when something permanent opens up, you'll have first dibs, since you'll be considered to be on staff and inside the system, at that point.
THIS. This was how I survived in college...I started with work study, then realized I could make more $$ by filling in different departments when staff was on vacation, sick,etc. And I worked & took summer school classes during the summer.

I had a neighbor whose son went to HSU. His major was only offered there. He graduated, but because this was during The Crash, he couldn't find work in his field & had to move back with his folks for awhile...but then he caught a break & found work in his field.

I lived for years in SD Co., when it was a great place to live. I'm very familiar with the area where you live. It's changed, like a lot of places. If it isn't right for you, get out, you're young. Go to HSU & follow your dream. At least try it.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know why the assumption is that the OP will be working minimum wage. I thought she said she's qualified to do office admin work, and will be applying to jobs at the university, and elsewhere.

I believe the OP said she's making minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California