Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times

Advertisements

Here is a place to understand renting in Arcata for a college student. A lot of good information.

https://housing.humboldt.edu/residen.../housing-guide

A place to find about jobs and pay in Arcata.

https://www.indeed.com/l-Arcata,-CA-jobs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 04:40 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
The OP's last activity was on 07-26-2017 04:42 AM

Old 11-26-2018, 09:51 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The OP's last activity was on 07-26-2017 04:42 AM
Those are very useful links, especially the second one, considering the inquiries we get from a variety of people looking to move to Humboldt.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:35 AM

82 posts, read 94,590 times
Default Brio's, Renata's, and much more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver13 View Post
Brio and Renata's?

Blue Moon has pretty good breakfasts and I guess Mazzotti's is good. I used to go to the one in Eureka a lot decades ago but have gone to the one in Arcata only once. It's loud in there. In fact, as much as I love Renata's, I wish they would do something about how LIVE the sounds are in there. When it's packed I can't hear the person across the table from me. For special occasions, we go to Larrupin's. We think that Fish Salt or Salt downstairs, in back of the south side of the plaza, makes the best clam chowder we've ever had. But it is VERY noisy and too expensive.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFog View Post
Blue Moon has pretty good breakfasts and I guess Mazzotti's is good. I used to go to the one in Eureka a lot decades ago but have gone to the one in Arcata only once. It's loud in there. In fact, as much as I love Renata's, I wish they would do something about how LIVE the sounds are in there. When it's packed I can't hear the person across the table from me. For special occasions, we go to Larrupin's. We think that Fish Salt or Salt downstairs, in back of the south side of the plaza, makes the best clam chowder we've ever had. But it is VERY noisy and too expensive.
Have you checked out the Trinidad area, much? I was looking around there, on the internet recently. I was surprised that they have a museum and some arts organizations, one of which hosts live music weekly for dancing. Like bluegrass & such. Sounds like a friendly community. Possibly a hidden gem. There's also a science lab owned by HSU (job potential). Can you offer any insights/share experiences?

I'm also wondering what it was like in Humboldt, when the Redding fire was happening. What was the smoke effect like, around Humboldt Bay? I'm assuming that the coastal area is wet enough, that a fire is unlikely, but that doesn't mean it's immune to smoke from fires elsewhere. And those inland areas are dry dry dry, and hot hot hot in the summers!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:03 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you checked out the Trinidad area, much? I was looking around there, on the internet recently. I was surprised that they have a museum and some arts organizations, one of which hosts live music weekly for dancing. Like bluegrass & such. Sounds like a friendly community. Possibly a hidden gem. There's also a science lab owned by HSU (job potential). Can you offer any insights/share experiences?

I'm also wondering what it was like in Humboldt, when the Redding fire was happening. What was the smoke effect like, around Humboldt Bay? I'm assuming that the coastal area is wet enough, that a fire is unlikely, but that doesn't mean it's immune to smoke from fires elsewhere. And those inland areas are dry dry dry, and hot hot hot in the summers!
Trinidad is amazingly expensive, so don't even think about it unless you're absolutely loaded lol. Nice to visit though and its location is great.

Fires do happen on the coast; many a redwood is fire scarred even in the fog belt but they are thankfully rare. Smoke can be quite bad here. During the Tubbs fire last year the smoke was very thick and pervasive for days and days. Really awful stuff.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Trinidad is amazingly expensive, so don't even think about it unless you're absolutely loaded lol. Nice to visit though and its location is great.

Fires do happen on the coast; many a redwood is fire scarred even in the fog belt but they are thankfully rare. Smoke can be quite bad here. During the Tubbs fire last year the smoke was very thick and pervasive for days and days. Really awful stuff.
Thanks, Mann. Why is Trinidad amazingly expensive? Is it some secret hideaway for wealthy types?

Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM

I just read on a Forbes list of 100 best places to retire (two per state), that Eureka is considered a top place to retire, running in 2nd place after Sacramento. They seem to be looking for affordability, among other criteria.

OTOH, I just heard from a friend, that the economy in Humboldt has collapsed, because of the legalization of MJ. Car dealerships, hardware stores, all kinds of businesses have gone belly-up, because the big illegal drug money is no longer flushing through the economy there. Not sure how much of an exaggeration that is. Frankly, in the little tour of Humboldt Bay rentals I took online, including Eureka, it sure didn't look like there was any big money source in the area...

Old 06-30-2020, 11:04 AM

82 posts, read 94,590 times
Default Restaurants near Arcata Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver13 View Post
Brio and Renata's?

Yes, Cafe Brio and Renata's. Also, for a nice well-made traditional breakfast, the Big Blue Cafe. Downstairs, under the Jacoby Storehouse, you can get hre best clam chowder we've ever had. But SALT Fish House is very loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California