Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times

Advertisements

Natives and long time California residents, how well do you know California weather?

In the summer, is San Francisco really the coldest/coolest large city in California and in the nation?

How many months out of the year do you no longer need a wetsuit for a SoCal Beach?

How much more rain does the urban areas of NorCal get compared to SoCal urban areas?

Why does the Sacramento Valley receive so much more Rain than the San Joaquin Valley?

Which urban areas in California have 4 seasons and why?

California weather myths and stereotypes discussed, dispelled and debunked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
"In the summer, is San Francisco really the coldest/coolest large city in California and in the nation?"

I'll address this one. I've never actually heard that SF is the coolest large city in the nation before. I'd say that it probably is the coolest large city in CA though. I'll also point out that many people outside of the Bay Area are ignorant about the weather here. Many people seem to assume that the cool/foggy SF weather is region-wide. The reality is, the Bay Area is full of micro-climates. Especially in the summer, it's possible to have as much as a 30+ degree variation in temperatures from the coast to some inland locations. Often times, It can be foggy and 50 degrees in San Francisco and sunny and 70 degrees across the bridge in Oakland. It can be 80 degrees in San Jose and 60 degrees in Santa Cruz, etc.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
How many months out of the year do you no longer need a wetsuit for a SoCal Beach?

A wetsuit for surfing/bodyboarding is not usually needed during the warmer parts of the day from June through October. This also depends on the weather that year, your cold tolerance, and of course your activity level (e.g. continuous energetic swimming keeps you warmer than paddling out through low waves and then sitting on a surfboard).

When I used to go bodyboarding in the very early morning (dawn patrol), I wore a wetsuit virtually year-round. Google images of surfing at Southern California beaches and you will see that almost everyone is wearing at least a spring suit. The water is never really warm.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
"In the summer, is San Francisco really the coldest/coolest large city in California and in the nation?"

I'll address this one. I've never actually heard that SF is the coolest large city in the nation before. I'd say that it probably is the coolest large city in CA though. I'll also point out that many people outside of the Bay Area are ignorant about the weather here. Many people seem to assume that the cool/foggy SF weather is region-wide. The reality is, the Bay Area is full of micro-climates. Especially in the summer, it's possible to have as much as a 30+ degree variation in temperatures from the coast to some inland locations. Often times, It can be foggy and 50 degrees in San Francisco and sunny and 70 degrees across the bridge in Oakland. It can be 80 degrees in San Jose and 60 degrees in Santa Cruz, etc.
FWIW I recall a "fog days" map from a Meteo course at uni that showed Pt. Conception is the overall West Coast fog capital.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:

I had often heard this about SF as well. Of course, it's a microclimate. I've actually seen simultaneous temperatures of 55F at the ocean in San Francisco and 110F inland at Concord at the exact same time on an August afternoon around 4 PM.

The coastal portion of SF (west of Twin Peaks) actually averages only in the low to mid 60s even in summer, whereas south-facing beaches like Santa Cruz average into the mid-70s.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
there are averages for temps everywhere but those averages are based on maybe based on a 100 years of keep records. Yes, the temp readings are taken in the same place daily, but there are so many areas that do not fit into the consideration. The air and water temps in So CA will be one thing near the Los Angeles beaches and quite another up toward Santa Barbara or down toward San Diego. The same with the temps in San Francisco, the inland area and Marin county.

It is an interesting question, but I don't think there is an answer.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
How much more rain does the urban areas of NorCal get compared to SoCal urban areas?

Why does the Sacramento Valley receive so much more Rain than the San Joaquin Valley?

California weather myths and stereotypes discussed, dispelled and debunked.
Nor Cal towns get between 20 and 40 inches of rain-think San Jose to Santa Rosa. LA gets about 15 inches, but the rainy season much shorter. Six months vs three months for LA.

As far as the Valleys go Nor Cal gets more rain that Socal. Also the coast range is higher south of San Francisco than North so there is also more of a rain shadow effect for the San Joaquin part of the central valley.

One other myth debunked: not only does it snow in CA, but CA gets the most snow (in terms of inches) than any other state in the US. Our local ski resort got close to 60 feet, yes feet, of snow last season. And there are snowier CA ski resorts that our local one!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 PM

848 posts, read 967,940 times
Quote:
... Especially in the summer, it's possible to have as much as a 30+ degree variation in temperatures from the coast to some inland locations. Often times, It can be foggy and 50 degrees in San Francisco and sunny and 70 degrees across the bridge in Oakland. It can be 80 degrees in San Jose and 60 degrees in Santa Cruz, etc.
I grew up in Santa Clara. One summer it was about 100 degrees, so my friend said hey dude, let's go to Capitola (the area with the beach that has the original Pizza My Heart on it). So we start heading down and it seriously went down about 1 degree each mile that we drove so that by the time we got to Capitola, it was 60 degrees and pointless to be there. It was too cold. Basically grabbed some PMH, visited that sword shop with the suit of armor outside (gone now last I heard), and went home.

SF seemed to be 55-60, cloudy, dreary and windy no matter what time of year I went there.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Natives and long time California residents, how well do you know California weather?

In the summer, is San Francisco really the coldest/coolest large city in California and in the nation?
It can be, due to an inversion layer caused by a difference in temperature between the warmer inland areas and the cooler air of the Pacific. When they meet (which is usually over the City itself) it causes an "inversion layer" to set in, in the form of low clouds and fog. Underneath the low clouds, it can be very cold.

Quote:
From about November through April or May, usually.

Quote:
Due to geography, it varies. But the Bay Area and Sacramento lie much closer to the Pacific Northwest and share much of the same climate to a certain extent, so it goes to reason that the Bay Area and Sacramento will be substantially more rainy during the winter months than Los Angeles or San Diego.

At times, the Southwestern Monsoon that comes in Summer can significantly influence the weather around the fringes of the L.A. area, in the mountains and deserts, by bringing thunderstorms and humidity.

Quote:
See the answer above. It's because the Sac Valley is closer to the Pacific Northwest latitudinal.

Quote:
Which urban areas in California have 4 seasons and why?
Sacramento. Again, for geographical reasons.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
From about November through April or May, usually.
I think you were answering the opposite question--for which months do you NEED a wetsuit?

Anyway, I beg to differ. There may be the odd heat wave in April or May, but for the most parts those months are very cool at the coast, and so is June. Here it is, June 1, and the June Gloom has set in right on schedule. Not a sign of the sun and it's actually drizzling at my house, 12 miles inland. It's going to be about 69 F at Newport Beach today and the water temperature is 63. That is not swimsuit weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California