Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:03 AM

911 posts, read 590,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yeah I trust them to fund and pay for this thing. After all they've done such a good job with the gas tax, why would this be any different? If anyone has any brains they'll scuttle this monstrosity.

If anyone had any brains the world wouldnt be as it is and as it has been for the past 10,000 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 02:05 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yeah I trust them to fund and pay for this thing. After all they've done such a good job with the gas tax, why would this be any different? If anyone has any brains they'll scuttle this monstrosity.

It won't be different. It never is. Anyone who follows politics knows that politicians will get - what they believe is - a great idea, push it through and then figure out how to pay for it. Heaping more taxes onto already disgruntled taxpayers isn't going to go over well.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
exactly. Tax burden isn't actually going to effect the people using the benefits , it's going to effect those that don't need the benefits.

You meant affect not effect.

I don't support the current proposal; however, your statement above expresses your typically myopic world view.

Health care costs are the number 1 reason for bankruptcy for middle class Americans. That are plenty of reasons to support a comprehensive reform which covers everyone and controls costs.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Don't forget Universal Basic Income which a lot of liberals have been arguing for. Mark Zuckerberg just called for it during his Harvard commencement speech...no word on how many of his billions he will be contributing to it though
None. He wants us working stiffs to pay people to schlep around, play video games, and spank the monkey.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:26 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I just got a angiogram and stent which saved my life. I would be dead before they got around to that with this proposed health care.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
$400 billion dollars. That's the cost to fund a universal healthcare system in California. News reports tonight said Sacramento lawmakers are pushing for it but still haven't reached a firm conclusion how to fund it. Ideas though are: $200 billion of existing state, federal and local funds could be repurposed to go towards it. The additional $200 billion would need to be raised from new taxes.

Single-payer healthcare could cost $400 billion to implement in California - LA Times
Oh good,"repurposed", Humm what will be cut then? Answer nothing, they will just raise taxes to cover the areas that need the money after having it taken away for the health care. CA is a "feel good" State, "look at what we have done and don't bother to point out we do not have the money, raising taxes will hurt the residents, just thank us for being so caring for everyone, we are progressives .... to bankruptcy."

Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

I don't support the current proposal; however, your statement above expresses your typically myopic world view.

Health care costs are the number 1 reason for bankruptcy for middle class Americans. That are plenty of reasons to support a comprehensive reform which covers everyone and controls costs.
It won't control the cost to the ones already paying more than they can. They will trade the payment for higher taxes. No way to cover everyone and not have the cost go wayyyy up.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
None. He wants us working stiffs to pay people to schlep around, play video games, and spank the monkey.
Mark Zuckerberg can start giving his money away right now for a change. No need for him to buy his own house or several houses in Kauai. I always can't stand these speakers. It's easier said then done. But I think he is running for President in the next few years.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

Yes, Obamacare already does that. Bankrupting middle class through high premiums and high deductible.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:30 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
I think its a great idea. But as always the devil is in the details. It will obviously cost a lot of money and many will use that as the excuse as to why it can never be done - impossible! This is the same argument used for any social program including college for all. Yet it is never really that simple. Our healthcare system is a multidimensional problem which many only see in black and white terms or within a single dimension (red or blue, etc..). This is especially the case as one looks at the amount of money the US already spends for healthcare on average 'without' universal coverage. Then compare that to every other industrialized nation. There are economic factors which drive up the costs of healthcare in America like no other nation. Insurance and drug companies rule to roost in America. And they will jack up the prices on everything to the greatest extent possible at every opportunity, bottom line. EpiPen is simply one of millions of examples like this. They love it that Ds & Rs are fighting over healthcare while they continue to rake in billions. Either way they win... at least until other constraints are brought to bear.

The more interesting question is how does the rest of the first world nations pay for and provide universal healthcare for their citizens? Yet somehow it is an 'impossible' task for us? And oh yes, many still have a high standard of living in addition to a longer life expectancy than US citizens. As much as we like to pride ourselves in how much better we are, the truth is many other countries are doing fine and sometimes better with lower overall healthcare costs.

Trump realizes this. At least he is honest on the topic. Many countries have better healthcare than the US. Look at Australia's Universal Coverage. "We [the US] have a failing health care — I shouldn't say this to our great gentleman and my friend from Australia, because you have better health care than we do.” -- Trump praises Australia’s universal health-care system: ‘You have better health care than we do’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISVOu1kH3A

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-26-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California