Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:58 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I actually like Texas and Texans for the most part. I've always found them to be really hospitable and whenever I've visited Texas, a spontaneous Barbecue erupted, with calls made and tons of people showing up within hours to just have a good time drinking beer and eating and blabbing. That is hard to come by in CA once you're out of college.

And I was usually a lone Democrat in a sea of Republicans. I just knew better than to talk politics and they had happier things to discuss, usually.

The traditional culture, at least, in Texas is nice, friendly and laid back.

The only person I ever met from Texas who had a bit of a snobbiness about her was a city girl from Dallas, and even she was pretty nice.

And I met people in the Dallas area, Austin and a tiny town called Segovia. Not just from one area.

It would be kind of funny to see some crabby Californians go to a Texas barbecue and have the Texans keep changing the subject from their complaining about this and that, to happier subjects. I could just hear a Texan now saying to them, "What you need is a beer! Let me go get you one. How are you with a grill? I'll let you in on my secret tri-tip marinade recipe..."

I wouldn't be surprised if the supposed Texans visiting Hollywood were actually originally from somewhere else like New York.
To suggest we don't have barbeques in California is absurd. There are several neighbourhood barbeques where I live over the course of the summer, and the weather if the weather starts off warm, it is usually pleasant by sunset. The barbeques I've been to in Texas started out at around 97 humid degrees at 5 PM and it was still roasting hot at midnight. Nobody from California complained, but several Texans seemed to be obsessed with the idea that I was going to move there and really couldn't get past themselves when I told them I was perfectly happy in California.

Personally, I don't care for Texas. I do a lot of outdoor activities in the mountains, so I wouldn't know what to do with myself there. And, I just don't think the Texas Hill Country has any beauty and splendor. But, if you have only traveled around that part of the country I can see how the change in scenery would make you think that way.

And if you are in someplace ugly in California it is usually less than an hour to a 90 minute drive to someplace that isn't ugly. In Texas you can drive all day, and even into the neighboring states and you still have hours of driving to get away from the ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 04:09 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Good to know Texas has no homeless people. Or people in poverty Shall I post more links than you thru google to make my point? What state has no homeless or poverty? How about if I post links showing how Texas doesn't give a rip about its poor? That is a good thing, right? Esp if your a conservative republican Christian. This from an Evangelical Christian.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-27-2017 at 04:22 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 07:30 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Honestly, both states have a lot of flyover territory. When we go to Vegas or Tahoe I just shake my head at those that live in those little towns in the moonscape and heat.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,882 times
CA, send us your productive people. Those who respect this nations laws, pays their taxes, and loves the U.S. of A. Send us your companies, we will help them relocate and build their businesses so they can grow and employ more Texans.

TX is open for business! Welcome!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I know some conservatives in CA and even they laugh at the thought of moving to Texas.

It's not necessary conservatives who move from CA to TX, it's CA residents who couldn't afford to live here.

Most of the right-wing talking heads (Savage, Hannity, Limbaugh, etc) live in liberal blue cities. If one can afford it, even the right-wing extremists don't want to live in red states.

ALL big cities are run by libs. SF is a prime example of a starship wreck just waiting to happen.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
While Texas is not everyone's cup of tea, let's play fair.
Exactly how much is his property tax?
How does his house compared to yours? Same square footage or larger?
I know the army doesn't pay well, but how much less does he pay in income taxes since Texas has no state income tax. Do the taxes offset each other?

Your picture of the sierras is not indicative of all of Ca. Plenty of ugly areas in the Central Valley. Google Texas Hill country and you will see a lot of beautiful scenery that easily match what you posted.
There might be some ugly places in the Central Valley but TX overall is an ugly state. It is flat, brown, and without trees. East Texas has some beauty and down by the Gulf of Mexico.

Other than that, ugly.

[quote=KC6ZLV;48642299]To suggest we don't have barbeques in California is absurd. There are several neighbourhood barbeques where I live over the course of the summer, and the weather if the weather starts off warm, it is usually pleasant by sunset. The barbeques I've been to in Texas started out at around 97 humid degrees at 5 PM and it was still roasting hot at midnight. Nobody from California complained, but several Texans seemed to be obsessed with the idea that I was going to move there and really couldn't get past themselves when I told them I was perfectly happy in California.

Personally, I don't care for Texas. I do a lot of outdoor activities in the mountains, so I wouldn't know what to do with myself there. And, I just don't think the Texas Hill Country has any beauty and splendor. But, if you have only traveled around that part of the country I can see how the change in scenery would make you think that way.

And if you are in someplace ugly in California it is usually less than an hour to a 90 minute drive to someplace that isn't ugly. In Texas you can drive all day, and even into the neighboring states and you still have hours of driving to get away from the ugly.QUOTE]

Very true, I drove through TX from one end to the other, and went to college in New Mexico and we would go over to TX sometimes. I have seen most of TX. I have to say it is one of the ugliest states I have seen.

There is an old movie from the 50s called "Giant" which takes place in TX for the most part, there is a great scene where Elizabeth Taylor looks out the train window to get her first look at TX and sees nothing but dirt.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:44 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
As predictable as the sun rising in the morning, after 20-30 years of Californians fleeing to Texas to escape high costs, high taxes and too many liberals, Texas will - ta da! - have high costs, high taxes and too many liberals, so people will start trying to escape Texas en mass, and there will be Paul Chabots trying to help them escape to ... I dunno. Wyoming, maybe.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
ALL big cities are run by libs. SF is a prime example of a starship wreck just waiting to happen.
There are still some cities run by conservatives, but yes the big cities are run by liberals and they are doing fantastic economically!

If you are predicting SF is going to wreck then it must really irks you to see it doing so well.

At any rate, guys like Michael Savage is not living in a big liberal city - he is living in some quiet distanced suburb north of SF. He could have easily found a similar suburb in Arizona, Texas, Utah, etc. Why is he here, all of the places? He apparently thinks liberal places are just better for living.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:47 PM

60 posts, read 62,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I know some conservatives in CA and even they laugh at the thought of moving to Texas.

It's not necessary conservatives who move from CA to TX, it's CA residents who couldn't afford to live here.

Most of the right-wing talking heads (Savage, Hannity, Limbaugh, etc) live in liberal blue cities. If one can afford it, even the right-wing extremists don't want to live in red states.

That doesnt even make sense....most States ARE red States.

I wouldnt live in California is you paid me a million dollars a year

Old 06-27-2017, 11:09 PM

153 posts, read 200,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobinvans View Post
That doesnt even make sense....most States ARE red States.

I wouldnt live in California is you paid me a million dollars a year
He inadvertently raises a good point, however. The middle class has been run out of many of the blue states due in part at least to their fiscal and socioeconomic governmental policies. Does he propose that the red states emulate this phenomenon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California