Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:27 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times

Advertisements

If I were you, I would concentrate my career search in the area stretching from Ventura in the south to Paso Robles in the north for the most ideal balance of weather, scenery, coastal access, cost-of-living, population density and traffic. It might take a while before you secure gainful employment in this area, since jobs in the Central Coast region are less plentiful than in the larger coastal metro areas, but it doesn't seem like you're in any rush.

I will say this, however: If you think Miami or Naples have "perfect weather," then you're probably not going to enjoy the weather anywhere in California.

Coastal California, while characterized by a mild climate, is still located entirely within the temperate zone from a standpoint of latitude, which means that all areas of California are subject to cool winters with moderate amounts of rain and cloud cover. Even in the height of summer, evenings and early mornings in coastal California will seem chilly to someone who is accustomed to a balmy tropical or subtropical climate due to the moderating affect of the chilly Pacific Ocean.

Of course, California has a much more arid climate than Florida overall, so the local weather in California is much sunnier and drier, but it's still cooler. I lived in South Florida for years, and one of the biggest adjustments for me personally after moving to the Los Angeles area is the much cooler weather from late October to mid-May.

The heat here is different, too. On the hottest days, the heat is much more intense in California than it is in Florida due to the hot Santa Ana winds coupled with the general lack of cloud cover, trees, etc. Don't forget, California is a quasi-desert. Thankfully, however, these heat spells tend to be short-lived.

I grew up in Rhode Island, so I understand the thought process of many people in the Northeast -- if it's not 80 degrees and sunny on Christmas Day, then it's less than ideal. In California, 80-degree weather on Christmas Day is the exception, not the rule like it is in South Florida. My semi-retired parents, who just recently began "snowbirding" to Florida, would never come to visit me during the wintertime in Los Angeles because it's not nearly as warm.

Also, if you enjoy the weather in Florida, then you probably don't mind the constant rain and high humidity as well as the accompanying greenery and bodies of water (i.e., lakes, rivers, creeks, marshes, etc.). If so, then California is definitely not for you.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 07-12-2017 at 01:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM

45 posts, read 41,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

I grew up in Rhode Island, so I understand the thought process of many people in the Northeast -- if it's not 80 degrees and sunny on Christmas Day, then it's less than ideal. In California, 80-degree weather on Christmas Day is the exception, not the rule like it is in South Florida. My semi-retired parents, who just recently began "snowbirding" to Florida, would never come to visit me during the wintertime in Los Angeles because it's not nearly as warm.

Also, if you enjoy the weather in Florida, then you probably don't mind the constant rain and high humidity as well as the accompanying greenery and bodies of water (i.e., lakes, rivers, creeks, marshes, etc.). If so, then California is definitely not for you.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm actually flexible with regards to the weather. I just want it to be better than the NE in the winter. I do love the south Florida weather, however I'm okay with what you describe in California. It's still a million times better than the NE! To me, winter is for entertainment such as skiing, snow boarding, etc. I can't live in a deep freezer day in and day out, commuting to work in miserable (and dangerous) road conditions. I would prefer to live in the warmer areas and then travel to places where it's cold and snowy for ski vacations. That's how I enjoy the winter!

Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigon View Post
I do love the south Florida weather, however I'm okay with what you describe in California. .. I would prefer to live in the warmer areas and then travel to places where it's cold and snowy for ski vacations. That's how I enjoy the winter!
Then I would follow up with the places around San Diego that RosieSD suggested. Not only is it an area rich with medical specialty opportunities, but its location triangulates to areas where you can drive an hour or so away to go skiing, even when it's 80 degrees where you live! You'll never get that in Florida!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Then I would follow up with the places around San Diego that RosieSD suggested. Not only is it an area rich with medical specialty opportunities, but its location triangulates to areas where you can drive an hour or so away to go skiing, even when it's 80 degrees where you live! You'll never get that in Florida!
In fairness, it's closer to two hours to get to the closest skiing in Big Bear from San Diego.

You can be playing in the snow in our local mountains in under an hour from many parts of San Diego, but we don't have any ski slopes. However, it is pretty fun to be able to hike in the desert in the gorgeous Anza Borrego in the a.m., play in the snow in our local mountains at noon, and watch the sunset at the beach in the same day.

But, if you want to be closer to skiing at Big Bear, LA or Ventura County might be worth a look. Also, SF and Sacramento put you closer to Mammoth.

And, of course, from anywhere in California, it's a quick flight over to Park City, Utah or Vail or even up to Whistler in British Columbia.

I'm originally from Westchester County, NY, so I know CT. along the Sound well. I've also spent quite a bit of time in Florida. Both are beautiful parts of the world.

But, neither of them have the amazing diversity of landscapes within an easy drive or quick plane flight that ANYWHERE in California (or the West in general) has.

Here in California (or again, anywhere in the West), I don't need to have an "ocean view" when I have so much beautiful scenery right out my back door. It is really the main reason why I will probably never live on the East Coast again.

By the way, it occurs to me that if you start thinking about giving up the "ocean view" you might also want to look at Salt Lake City as a possibility. The National Parks in Utah are AMAZING, and so is the skiing.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
San Luis Obispo is a good suggestion... and Monterey is surprisingly "inexpensive," at least by coastal California standards, with fantastic weather and scenery. Northern beaches aren't WARM, though, compared to those in Southern California or the southeast. They're nice and temperate, with a fair amount of fog at times, and the water itself can be quite cold. I personally prefer that, as 60-70F is way more comfortable than 90+ imo.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
San Luis Obispo is a good suggestion... and Monterey is surprisingly "inexpensive," at least by coastal California standards, with fantastic weather and scenery. Northern beaches aren't WARM, though, compared to those in Southern California or the southeast. They're nice and temperate, with a fair amount of fog at times, and the water itself can be quite cold. I personally prefer that, as 60-70F is way more comfortable than 90+ imo.
I agree that you should include Monterey in your initial research. You could end up building a good clientele there, and there's more happening culturally, than in some of the other locations suggested. Monterey County also has 3 higher education institutions, and 3 hospitals. It's closer to the Bay Area, fwiw, and a major airport, if that matters. Has an aquarium, and other attractions. (Great for kids.) There's just more "there" there, than in some of the other locations, if that matters. More stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California