Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 05:00 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Just like the economy too . All the talk about the tech industry and Silicoln valley .
Yet CA has the highest poverty rate when adjusting for cost of living.

Techies make great money but a bunch of them still can't afford to buy near Silicoln Valley where they work

True jm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Just like the economy too . All the talk about the tech industry and Silicoln valley .

Techies make great money but a bunch of them still can't afford to buy near Silicoln Valley where they work
And it is only going to get worse.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:16 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Look at the county maps and precinct maps before making that kind of proclamation.

If you live in Houston, you will still be in Houston after driving 50 minutes.

After 24 years in the IE, I can say the weather there is way better than TX. Also more sunshine and warmer temps than the coast. Plus we didn't have to deal with LAX, as users or neighbors.

People with smug attitudes might feel like IE residents are "stuck" but I never had a desire to live in Santa Monica, especially since my software development job was in San Bernardino.
I guess all those times I drove from Houston to the beach house I owned in Galveston on the Gulf of Mexico they must have been clearing the freeways out just for me.
How often did you get stuck in traffic in Houston driving to the coast?

Old 07-23-2017, 05:56 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and would you tell us why, moving to Texas is cutting off ones nose to spite ones face? Saying, I have been there and living there are 2 different things. We are from CA, ended up for 13 years in Texas, except for the damn humidity it was wonderful. And yes, the conservative or at least, open minded political views of many helped a lot.

I did not read the article, I admit, but if you think the expression you get what you pay for is always correct think again. Property alone, in Ca has gotten out of site. If we had kept our house in Glendora for instance or better in Arcadia we would be multi millionaires now, but money isn't everything.
People I know who moved to Texas because they could get a gorgeous, big house for much less of an initial outlay (tempting for sure...until one researches more closely) have complained extensively that the property taxes in Texas are outrageous. I agree. Plus, our California property taxes grow far more slowly and are capped at 2% increase per year (and can be reduced during periods of significant downturn), so that people who stay in the same house for decades are rewarded for doing so.

Then there is the fact that most of California has got the best weather in the U.S. and Texas is horribly humid in the summer and has lots of icky bugs (Fire ants!), way beyond what we have in California. We seldom have summer rain, so we can leave out cushy patio furniture for the entire summer without having to worry about it getting drenched. I love, love love that!

And....jobs and salary. We in California earn much better wages, in general, than people in Texas. If someone stays with the same employer for decades here, they are likely to earn a decent pension, because businesses must compete with each other to attract the best employees.

It's fine if you prefer Texas, but please don't try to persuade Californians to believe that conservative Texans are the least bit open-minded, let alone more open-minded than we Californians are. It's simply ludicrous.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
People I know who moved to Texas because they could get a gorgeous, big house for much less of an initial outlay (tempting for sure...until one researches more closely) have complained extensively that the property taxes in Texas are outrageous. I agree. Plus, our California property taxes grow far more slowly and are capped at 2% increase per year (and can be reduced during periods of significant downturn), so that people who stay in the same house for decades are rewarded for doing so.

Then there is the fact that most of California has got the best weather in the U.S. and Texas is horribly humid in the summer and has lots of icky bugs (Fire ants!), way beyond what we have in California. We seldom have summer rain, so we can leave out cushy patio furniture for the entire summer without having to worry about it getting drenched. I love, love love that!

And....jobs and salary. We in California earn much better wages, in general, than people in Texas. If someone stays with the same employer for decades here, they are likely to earn a decent pension, because businesses must compete with each other to attract the best employees.

It's fine if you prefer Texas, but please don't try to persuade Californians to believe that conservative Texans are the least bit open-minded, let alone more open-minded than we Californians are. It's simply ludicrous.
The lower cost of a house in TX off sets the difference in taxes AND no State income tax in TX so you come our wayyy ahead there.

Yes some areas are humid and some dry and that is life. ALL of CA is not great, primarily the coastal area of SoCal and try and buy there. Is CA's weather better, yes, is the cost of living better in TX, yes. The question is which fits a persons needs and desires. I moved back to CA from TX and was glad to do so, but my cost in CA was higher than my cost in TX by a LOT. As to open, minded I have seen no difference between CA and TX. Politics drives most of such claims and that has little to do with the actual people, who I found to be very friendly.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:23 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
This is exactly why government (outside of national defense, interstate infrastructure/commerce/LE)should be handled at the state level. Allow people to choose which type of governance they want. Don't force a one size fits all approach down everyone's throat. With interstate competition we'll all come out ahead.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:12 PM

160 posts, read 155,672 times
After reading this article, I think it interviewed people who searched for every exception to disprove the rule.....

California is not without its issues. Texas has complete set of challenges in itself that would make me steer clear. If you are watching the news in California, frustrated how the country is moving forward, then living in a place that is less progressive will probably make you feel more comfortable.

A few issues with Texas. Traffic......LOTS OF IT. Those "affordable" suburbs around Dallas? It takes 2 hours to get into the city....ONE WAY. Housing.....you probably can find a nicer house in Texas based on sales price, but there are property taxes that are significantly higher and put you much closer than your would think to California. Most of the jobs created in Texas in the last decade have been low wage service jobs.

There are good people in Texas, just like in every state. You do have to live someplace to fully experience the culture, mindset, advantages and disadvantages. I could see how deeply conservative people could be turned off by California and look elsewhere. Those places are shifting as well, albeit slower than California.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:25 PM

600 posts, read 567,030 times
Quote:

lol "when adjusted" hahahahah Anyone can make biased statistics when "adjusted" to anything.

CA is still the 6 largest economy in the world. CA can even be richer if it secedes from the UNION and keep the 400 billion is pays to the feds. (Which the feds use to bail out the poor red states, that don't collect income from taxes).

If CA didn't have to pay for the poor suckers in the Red States, CA could afford free healthcare and free education for every single residents in CA.

Back to the topic. Yes, please, All the Conservative should leave already. I'm sick of hearing them complain. Why not move to Texas and make Tx BETTER than CA? lol

Old 07-23-2017, 10:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
lol "when adjusted" hahahahah Anyone can make biased statistics when "adjusted" to anything.

CA is still the 6 largest economy in the world. CA can even be richer if it secedes from the UNION and keep the 400 billion is pays to the feds. (Which the feds use to bail out the poor red states, that don't collect income from taxes).

If CA didn't have to pay for the poor suckers in the Red States, CA could afford free healthcare and free education for every single residents in CA.

Back to the topic. Yes, please, All the Conservative should leave already. I'm sick of hearing them complain. Why not move to Texas and make Tx BETTER than CA? lol
It makes sense to adjust for cost of living because cost of living is a reality for everyone .
You can't work in California but live in Texas and pay Texas cost of living ..
6th largest economy and highest poverty rate . So obviously it's only some that benefit .

Funny some have the " whatever " attitude when decent middle class families leave the state .
Yet the same people think we should give free this and that to the "poor" that can't " afford it"

Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
If anybody has a source to disprove the US census data please let me know ..

TRUE: California has the nations highest poverty rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California