Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 01:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

Amarillo is the panhandle. Dallas is north Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 06:23 AM

144 posts, read 196,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Austins pretty cool... well, actually it's hot as hell and humid but it's a cool place. If work took me there, I'd be okay with Austin. I'd rather be in California it's not bad. The rest of Texas is kind of meh. I mean If someone dropped a $200k/yr job in my lap to go off to The Woodlands, yeah, I'd go. It's nice. Just kind of boring. Given the majority of the conservatives in LA are down in Orange County, I doubt nice but kind of boring is any issue at all. That describes much of Orange County. The rest of it is awful and boring.
Cool... I live in Austin and am considering a move to Sacramento.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:18 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
Of all conservative states to move to... TX??? Meh..

I LOVE living in AZ, We have all the beauty of CA, minus the beaches. Summers suck here, if you live anywhere in the state south of Prescott, but everything in life has tradeoffs. Those are the tradeoffs here. That said, I would still love to live in San Diego if I could ever afford it though.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:12 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
And I'm moving to Minnesota which is colder than Chicago.. what's the point? North Texas still has mild winters. Our average low in most of DFW is above 32 degrees. That's mild. Having a few freezing days with snow flurries and ice doesn't make it harsh.
This is a CA to TX topic. Yes the winters in TX are tamer than the Great Lakes and upper tier of states. If it is 32 out and not windy, I would not even zip my jacket. In North TX, there is normally a driving wind which goes straight through your outerwear, unless you bundle up to an extent which will be too bulky and hot for the afternoon.

Of course, I am only speaking of the DFW area and the thread topic just said "Texas" in general, so other parts of TX are better in winter.

Still, Chabot is only out to line his pockets with his Conservative Move company. If he really cared about electoral votes he would be targeting NV and either NM or OR. Those are states with a good payback because it flips the entire vote of the state, rather adding to TX and subtracting from CA via population shift.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:23 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
This is exactly why government (outside of national defense, interstate infrastructure/commerce/LE)should be handled at the state level. Allow people to choose which type of governance they want. Don't force a one size fits all approach down everyone's throat. With interstate competition we'll all come out ahead.
If the states had been allowed complete control over their laws, SLAVERY might still exist so that the 1%-er's, i.e. the rich plantation owners, could thrive at the expense and torture of other humans.

Of course, if our current guy had been president, then SLAVERY might have been mandated at the federal level.

Maybe to some of you that's OK?

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 07-30-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 11:22 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
[quote=SFBayBoomer;49018990]If the states had been allowed complete control over their laws, SLAVERY might still exist so that the 1%-er's, i.e. the rich plantation owners, could thrive at the expense and torture of other humans.

Of course, if our current guy had been president, then SLAVERY might have been mandated at the federal level.

Maybe to some of you that's OK?[/QUOTE

Who are you mad at? States? Feds? Trump? Whiteys? All of them? It's hard to tell...

Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Property alone, in Ca has gotten out of site. If we had kept our house in Glendora for instance or better in Arcadia we would be multi millionaires now, but money isn't everything.
My lovely parents bought a small 4 Bedroom 2 Bath home of about 1900 SF in the then small town of Sunnyvale for $19,500. My Mom said they had to dicker with the builder to get it down about $500 so they could get the VA loan.

I looked it up on Zillow last week and it is 'valued' at $1.56 million. Wages must be extremely high in Silicone Valley!! I must commend those that can afford a ranchburger in that area.

And True!! Money is not everything!!!

Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Deleted as I have no need to respond to angry, off-topic post.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 08-01-2017 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: I have no need to respond to idiotic, off-topic post.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 PM

48 posts, read 53,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If we had kept our house in Glendora for instance or better in Arcadia we would be multi millionaires now, but money isn't everything.
How much does that affect your disdain for California, though. The fact that you would be multimillionaires if you hadn't moved? Definitely has to be a bitter feeling knowing that you were sitting on a gold mine and sold it to move to Arkansas.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
My lovely parents bought a small 4 Bedroom 2 Bath home of about 1900 SF in the then small town of Sunnyvale for $19,500. My Mom said they had to dicker with the builder to get it down about $500 so they could get the VA loan.

I looked it up on Zillow last week and it is 'valued' at $1.56 million. Wages must be extremely high in Silicone Valley!! I must commend those that can afford a ranchburger in that area.

And True!! Money is not everything!!!
What year was it .

Property has appreciated a lot in CA especially Bay Area and SoCal .

Silicon Valley salaries are high but it seems hard for the average person living in the area to afford a home there .
For all the talk of tech, low paid service jobs are the fastest growing sector in Silicon Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California