Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
I don't see why people think owning a house in California is impossible. Yes, if you want to live in San Francisco or San Diego, yea, you are going to pay a premium price because everyone wants to live there. It's similar to NYC or any other highly desirable area.

There are plenty of affordable places in California.

Sacramento/Redding
Bakersfield/Fresno
Temecula/Murrieta
Santa Maria/Lompoc

To name a few...work hard and make some money and then move to the coast when you can afford it. Perhaps you'll simply enjoy living in those areas instead of ultimately moving anyway. They are still some great areas with lots to do; and still preferable to Texas.
One issue is many of those areas don't have as much diversity of jobs/industries as the larger cities .

In Texas one can live in a city with a booming and diverse local economy but the housing is still affordable .

It'd say Sacramento would be the best bet of the cities above though in terms of economy especially for government jobs .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Wouldn't it be great if ALL conservatives moved to Texas??
I'm pretty much in favor of ANYONE who wants to leave California. Personally, I have just as hard a time with hard line conservatives that I do with hard line liberals. If the conservatives would simply move to Texas and the liberals would move to Portland or Seattle, L.A. would be a much nicer place to live.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Texas model of taxation works. The California model does not.
Maybe if you're young. But forever escalating property taxes? Prices retirees out.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:50 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,778 times
I grew up in Texas, and have visited relatives there regularly. Anyone who wants to move there is welcome to it. I'll keep my little piece of California near the beach, and I am definitely no Lefty.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Maybe if you're young. But forever escalating property taxes? Prices retirees out.
Is there a massive flight out of Texas by the elderly?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Is there a massive flight out of Texas by the elderly?
Nah, they die younger there before they can move:

California #4 life expectancy

Texas #30 life expectancy

Texas Life Expectancy

Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm pretty much in favor of ANYONE who wants to leave California. Personally, I have just as hard a time with hard line conservatives that I do with hard line liberals. If the conservatives would simply move to Texas and the liberals would move to Portland or Seattle, L.A. would be a much nicer place to live.
This

Old 07-21-2017, 02:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Nah, they die younger there before they can move:

California #4 life expectancy

Texas #30 life expectancy

Texas Life Expectancy
78.5 VS 80.77 OK, in CA you have to live longer to keep paying the taxes.

The key stay in CA until you are 81 and then move to TX.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The key stay in CA until you are 81 and then move to TX.
And then pay the sky-high property taxes in TX? Yeah, that makes sense

Old 07-21-2017, 05:17 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
I don't see why people think owning a house in California is impossible. Yes, if you want to live in San Francisco or San Diego, yea, you are going to pay a premium price because everyone wants to live there. It's similar to NYC or any other highly desirable area.

There are plenty of affordable places in California.

Sacramento/Redding
Bakersfield/Fresno
Temecula/Murrieta
Santa Maria/Lompoc

To name a few...work hard and make some money and then move to the coast when you can afford it. Perhaps you'll simply enjoy living in those areas instead of ultimately moving anyway. They are still some great areas with lots to do; and still preferable to Texas.
If you're going to live in those places, you may as well live in Texas. You can have a bigger home, friendlier neighbors who aren't all up in your business, in some places there's no zoning so you get all kinds of people and it works out well in my experience, plus you don't have all of the extra ridiculous, useless taxes being taken from you that don't go to a thing that you support. Your food is cheaper, your gas is cheaper, your electric is cheaper....it's a lot cheaper to live in TX. So if you're going to live in the dirt anyway, live in rural TX. Houston is actually a pretty decent place to live. I was surprised. Dallas/Ft. Worth, Plano area...strip malls, golf courses, artificial lakes...but there is that one farm like area where you can see those cattle with the gigantic horns right from the road....even just that makes it more interesting than CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California