Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Portland. I feel like you can easily get house for <500k within 45 mins of the airport. Traffic is bad but it is not LA traffic. Nothing is
Something tells me that a suggestion of Portland might elicit a string of "filled with liberal commies just like California" posts.

I will pop some pop corn and stay tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Sounds like N. Az, Utah or Idaho would be a good fit. Your parents should take a road trip and check them out.

Ps good for them on moving away from Ca

Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Sounds like N. Az, Utah or Idaho would be a good fit. Your parents should take a road trip and check them out.

Ps good for them on moving away from Ca
Why are you bound for Tucson from Orange Co.? Doesn't seem like an upgrade or am I missing something? I like Tucson personally but I've seen a ton of complaints about it and Orange County seems ideal other than cost and traffic.

On the OP query, I've seen some good suggestions and would add Grass Valley and Medford, Or to the list of possibilities.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleekat View Post
I will be heading to college soon and my parents no longer have to live in So Cal (me finishing high school held them back).
Where will you be attending college? That might factor into your parents' decision.

If you'll be attending a UC or Cal State and your parents move out of state while you're in school, you will almost certainly get stuck paying non-resident tuition. That means a significant bump up in your cost of education.

On the other hand, if you'll be attending school back east, there's a good chance you may end up getting a job there and settling there after college, so perhaps your parents might want to check out places on the East Coast close to where you'll be attending college as well.

Or, if you'll be attending a public university in another state, you *may* qualify for instate tuition if your parents become permanent residents in that state before you begin college.

Also, be aware that if you will be receiving financial aid, your parent's move *may* affect what you are eligible to receive, since part of the Federal formula for determining eligibility takes into account the cost of living of the state where your parents reside. If your parents now own a less expensive home in a less expensive cost of living state, that may also reduce your financial aid in sat use institutional methodology (CSS Profile) in subsequent years because colleges will assume your parents will be able to use liquid assets (i.e., money in savings or stocks, etc.) to pay for your expenses more easily than home equity.

So, if you'll be relying on financial aid or in-state tuition to help pay for college, your parents need to discuss these aspects with the financial aid office of your college before making a decision about moving while you are in college.

And, no offense, but it might be more helpful to your parents if you suggest THEY post here, instead of you. After all, they are the ones who will be choosing where to live, so if they want suggestions, it would be better if they posted and replied to questions.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Why are you bound for Tucson from Orange Co.? Doesn't seem like an upgrade or am I missing something? I like Tucson personally but I've seen a ton of complaints about it and Orange County seems ideal other than cost and traffic.

On the OP query, I've seen some good suggestions and would add Grass Valley and Medford, Or to the list of possibilities.
There's lots of reasons to move to Tucson.

I've lived here my whole life and want to get out of the rat race
People there are super friendly
No traffic or crowds
I can cash out here and real estate is very reasonable there
I'm a earth person more then water and love the desert there
I'm close to Cali so can easily come back here for wknds
COL is a lot less gas is 1.70 for instance
I'll be escaping Ca politics and the downfall of Ca

And that's just my short list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California